Defective Takata air bags in Thai-built cars?

Card

I am a bit concerned that the defective Takata airbags are installed in cars made in Thailand. I bought a new Ford Ecosport 6 months agao and I understand some Ford cars do have them in the USA. So what about Thailand? I did a search and Thailand may have the problem because of the Malaysian woman who died in her Thailand made Honda through a defective Takata airbag, but I've heard nothing about it in the local media. Would this be to protect the car industry here?

Edited by Card

Not 6 months ago, the recall applies to older cars and back several years. My Rx8 was built in 2004 and it is on the list, but as I understand it, nothing as recent as your model was under recall.

Thanks for that, but where can I find 'the list' and does it include cars made in Thailand, along with the year of manufacture?

I'll see if I can find the link? But Thailand wasn't on it as I recall, mostly American and European cars.. The link asks for the VIN number and then it looks up to see if your car is on it? You can Google Mazda recall I would think?

I'll see if I can find the link? But Thailand wasn't on it as I recall, mostly American and European cars.. The link asks for the VIN number and then it looks up to see if your car is on it? You can Google Mazda recall I would think?

But the Malaysian woman died in a Honda made in Thailand, although a 2003 make. Most of the lists on recalls refers to the USA regions and Ford Ecosport is not sold in the US.

Very few vehicles in Asia even had airbags back when they were supposed to have been installed, especially Thailand. Op I'm not familiar with the incident you're speaking of nor the circumstances of her death so I can't speak to it? It seems the reason you've only found info only pertaining to those regions is because they were the only regions the cars were effected as it's been stated, that seems to answer your OP..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Very few vehicles in Asia even had airbags back when they were supposed to have been installed, especially Thailand. Op I'm not familiar with the incident you're speaking of nor the circumstances of her death so I can't speak to it? It seems the reason you've only found info only pertaining to those regions is because they were the only regions the cars were effected as it's been stated, that seems to answer your OP..

Not so. Please check your facts before posting on an issue as important as vehicle safety.

“the total accumulative number of [Honda] affected vehicles in Asean is around 27,000 units so far”.

"According to Toyota’s Singapore regional office about 112,000 Toyota vehicles sold throughout Asean were fitted with the potentially deadly airbags"

"BMW Thailand said there were “about 2,000 affected cars in Thailand”

"Emails sent to Nissan Motor (Thailand) and Mazda Sales (Thailand) over the number of their vehicles involved and seeking details of their replacement policy were not responded to."

Source: http://www.establishmentpost.com/asean-auto-manufacturers-act-on-deadly-airbags-as-regulators-stay-mute/

Ermm so what?? I know you're trying to make some point but sorry 2000 cars relatively speaking in Thailand is not anything significant so check your facts before being an .................. about something so trivial as 2000 cars. Like I said and your post just confirmed, I'll repeat, based on that amount of numbers there was hardly even any cars in Thailand with airbags at that point especially passenger side airbags which are the primary bag of concern.. rolleyes.gif

BTW I know more about vehicle safety then you ever will because I don't need to look it up on the net first as I know about it first hand.. coffee1.gif

Unfortunately I did overlook being specific enough assuming that the topic being Thailand I inadvertently used "Asia" instead of being specific when I meant Thailand. I should have known better with this crowd, but I usually post late at night as well so sometimes being tired I miss those pedantic details that others are just seething to latch on to.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

You might not think it's so trivial if it's your throat the piece of steel from the inflator ring is passing through.

And where do you get 2,000 cars from "Mr motor safety expert"? That's BMW only.

There's a 141,000 cars listed above and that was before the extended recall announced after the Malaysian death and before a voluntary national recall in the USA by Honda and BMW announced last week for drivers-side airbags in affected models with Takata and other auto makers resisting a call by the NHTSA to extend the recall nationally to drivers-side airbags on affected vehicles instead of just those in hot and humid regions.

"but I usually post late at night...". Oh you poor precious little thing. Better you get some sleep. The only person "being an .................." on this thread is you.

Oh my poor dear your life is so full of drama? Yes, in the larger picture 2000 cars is quite a trivial amount in comparison to the millions on the road in Thailand. BTW did I mention have not only 1 but 2 cars on the recall list? Both Rx8's, so where do you get your numbers from? They asked BMW BECAUSE maybe BMW was one of few and possibly the only manufacturer (a high end one at that which is why once again, I stated that "not that many cars in THAILAND even had airbags when these were manufactured". How many times do I have to post the same thing for you to get it?) to install them in THAILAND as most cars of the time of their manufacture didn't have passenger side airbags.The OP is about THAILAND not Asia as a whole.. Seems you're the one requiring some sleep or on the contrary you need to wake up!

Edited by WarpSpeed

Obviously you hav a problem with both arithmetic and English. But please do tell how many people should be at risk before anything is done about this "trivial" problem?

The only RX-8s on the list were imported 2003 models, which Mazda is requiring owners to pay for the replacement. So did you pay, or leave them as a "trivial" matter?

Oh ad I noticed you went back and edited out the arrogant, self-serving comments about knowing more about automotive safety than anyone else. Clearly you don't. Good to see your hand finally slipped off what it was rubbing while you were writing your initial reply.

And Mr self-acclaimed "motor safety expert" you're totally overlooking the issue of driver-side airbags.

And very few cars in Thailand? Really? Just some of the Honda's in THAILAND involved before the extended recall of vehicles with DRIVER's -Side airbags announced in the US last week.

Honda Front passenger's side Civic 2001-2002 - 3,984

Honda Front passenger's side Civic 2001-2002 - 9,400 (different from above)

Honda Front driver’s side Civic 2012-2014 - 4,408 ; CR-V 2013-2014 - 489 ; Brio 2012 -2014 - 3,348 ; Amaze 2014 - 769

Honda Front driver’s side City 2003-2004 - 17,369

Trivial problem when it's affecting current build vehicles? You must be joking.

Well time you got that swollen head out of the smelly dirty place you keep it and re-think your self-proclaimed motor vehicle safety expert title

Edited by Yme

Ok, I posted the relevant info I have no more need to discuss with you as you only have one passion in life to confront people over nothing and I have better things to do and more important advice to give on other threads so enjoy your masturbation session on your own ok?

Obviously you hav a problem with both arithmetic and English. But please do tell how many people should be at risk before anything is done about this "trivial" problem?

The only RX-8s on the list were imported 2003 models, which Mazda is requiring owners to pay for the replacement. So did you pay, or leave them as a "trivial" matter?

Oh ad I noticed you went back and edited out the arrogant, self-serving comments about knowing more about automotive safety than anyone else. Clearly you don't. Good to see your hand finally slipped off what it was rubbing while you were writing your initial reply.

And Mr self-acclaimed "motor safety expert" you're totally overlooking the issue of driver-side airbags.

And very few cars in Thailand? Really? Just some of the Honda's in THAILAND involved before the extended recall of vehicles with DRIVER's -Side airbags announced in the US last week.

Honda Front driver’s side Civic 2012-2014 - 4,408 ; CR-V 2013-2014 - 489 ; Brio 2012 -2014 - 3,348 ; Amaze 2014 - 769

Well time you got that swollen head out of the smelly dirty place you keep it and re-think your self-proclaimed motor vehicle safety expert title

So your claim to the all knowing is based on what experience.?.Air Bags were options or based on range toppers only back then.

• Like 1

^^I'm going to make one last point that just completely discredits you're trivial rant. Mazda is NOT charging anyone here for the airbags if they qualify which is both of my cars in my case, they are under a full recall for certain areas so knowing that is false info just points to the rest of your info being a complete over-reaction as well. I have no idea what edit you're talking about either? Most of my edits are for punctuation and typos and still it is very hard to get people to comprehend the content in it's proper context, you're a perfect example of that. An edit can only be done within a very short period of time after posting, no clue what you're on about?

Edited by WarpSpeed

So your claim to the all knowing is based on what experience.?.Air Bags were options or based on range toppers only back then.

Directly from Honda Asia

Ok, I posted the relevant info I have no more need to discuss with you as you only have one passion in life to confront people over nothing and I have better things to do and more important advice to give on other threads so enjoy your masturbation session on your own ok?

You haven't posted anything relevant at all. You jumped on this thread and tried to make yourself look like a know-it-all smart a*se and trivialised a problem that has resulted in at least six deaths, hundreds of injuries, the establishment of a senate sub-committee inquiry with demands for a full national recall of all vehicles with the "beta" Takata airbag inflator fitted to the drivers side of the vehicle.

The only <deleted>, is you.

Photo of USAF 1st Lt Stephanie Erdman "Shrapnel from the airbag shot through the airbag and embedded in my right eye"

post-134656-0-11221400-1418352519_thumb.

You haven't posted anything relevant at all. You jumped on this thread and tried to make yourself look like a know-it-all smart a*se and trivialised a problem that has resulted in at least six deaths, hundreds of injuries, the establishment of a senate sub-committee inquiry with demands for a full national recall of all vehicles with the "beta" Takata airbag inflator fitted to the drivers side of the vehicle.

Photo of USAF 1st Lt Stephanie Erdman "Shrapnel from the airbag shot through the airbag and embedded in my right eye"

You're in Thailand.

• Like 1

I've tried several times to explain that to him..He seems stuck on proving the dangers of recalled air bags as if I have a dispute with that considering I personally own 2 of the cars myself, and my only point was to the OP regarding the sales of cars with passenger side air bags in Thailand at the time of the manufacture of the dangerous recalled air bags involved, he seems determined and on a personal mission to ignore the Op and the facts I've provided so I've let him carry on.. However, there is a limit to how much personal abuse I'll take..Pretty much he's already exceeded it but because the holidays are here, I'm feeling a bit charitable.

Edited by WarpSpeed

You're in Thailand.

That's not the issue. The issue is the OP asking a question and this other toss pot stomping all over the thread with his self-proclaimed level of expertise "BTW I know more about vehicle safety then you ever will" when he has no idea who I am or who I work for and then passing his "expert" opinion that there were very few cars affected in Thailand. If you're the only person telling everyone what a automobile safety expert you are, you sure aren't an expert and pretty insecure as well.

More importantly, the information you impart is WRONG and there is no mention as to which airbag the OP was inquiring about. Pretty moot anyway seeing as the driver side airbags have been deemed just as dangerous as the passenger side airbag.

Now I can also humiliate you further by posting the complete list up until the start of this month of all Honda vehicles SOLD IN THAILAND with defective passenger side airbags as well. I've supported my statement. Now lets see you put up or shut up. So far nothing but hot air and public m*sturbation.

Clearly there are more than a "very few" cars affected in Thailand

Let me make it clear for those who can't read. The figures from Honda Asia above are for THAILAND only and ONLY represent Honda and exclude Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, BMW, and Subaru. With the focus now on the driver side airbag you can reasonably expect the figure for diver and passenger-side airbags to be somewhere around 100,000 vehicles IN THAILAND!

As far as running out of patience? Go tell some one who cares, while your also telling them what a super knowledgeable auto safety expert you are. Because clealry you have no clue on how many vehicles are affected in THAILAND.

Edited by Yme

You're in Thailand.

That's not the issue. The issue is the OP asking a question and this other toss pot stomping all over the thread with his self-proclaimed level of expertise "BTW I know more about vehicle safety then you ever will" when he has no idea who I am or who I work for and then passing his "expert" opinion that there were very few cars affected in Thailand. If you're the only person telling everyone what a automobile safety expert you are, you sure aren't an expert and pretty insecure as well.

More importantly, the information you impart is WRONG and there is no mention as to which airbag the OP was inquiring about. Pretty moot anyway seeing as the driver side airbags have been deemed just as dangerous as the passenger side airbag.

Now I can also humiliate you further by posting the complete list up until the start of this month of all Honda vehicles SOLD IN THAILAND with defective passenger side airbags as well. I've supported my statement. Now lets see you put up or shut up. So far nothing but hot air and public m*sturbation.

Let me make it clear for those who can't read. The figures from Honda Asia above are for THAILAND only and ONLY represent Honda and exclude Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, BMW, and Subaru. With the focus now on the driver side airbag you can reasonably expect the figure for diver and passenger-side airbags to be somewhere around 100,000 vehicles IN THAILAND!

As far as running out of patience? Go tell some one who cares, while your also telling them what a super knowledgeable auto safety expert you are. Because clealry you have no clue on how many vehicles are affected in THAILAND.

Please don't confuse the 'you's'. You're quoting and answering me, and then go on a rant against somebody else.

You're in Thailand.

You have insecurity issues dude...