Swedish found hanged in deserted building

Lite Beer

We are all taught in the West from watching early American sitcoms, that a suicidal person leaves a suicide note.

So when detectives arrive on the crime scene, a suicide note is always written out on paper next to the unhappy one.

Being that young, they tend to E mail,

....if that is all it takes to bribe a security guard......

...besides the fact that he did not seem to have been making his rounds....

...R.I.P.......another stranger in a strange land......

...like someone said......'lonely in a city full of people'......it says it all......

...if you are of no use to someone....or no longer of any use to someone....you are definitely alone.....it is a terrible feeling.......so far from home.....

....who knows what he gave...or what he lost..........or how.....to end up that way.....

The writer is being one of the worse I have see in a while. And yes, since it is coming from the English news source I can be critisising the standerd of English used.

It's 'standard', not "standerd" Sherlock. And it's 'is one of the worst', not "is being one of the worse", and 'seen' instead of "see". Then there's another two grammar errors. I'm shure your taching us four a rite!

Edited by Impossible
  • Like 2

Saddened by this tragic event.

But still, police couldn't be contacted ? They was too busy ? Had to use the internet ? What if it was you who phoned the police, and there was no answer ?

And the building itself. A victim of the Asian economic crisis ? What, the one that hit Thailand back in 1996/97 ? The building has been in this state since then ? Nearly two decades ?

And, on the Skytrain, between Nana station and Asoke station, and maybe a bit beyond as well, are the partly-built buildings still there ? I take it those were also buildings were construction stopped during the building process, due to lack of money for wages and materials.

• Like 1

A building in that state of construction would have a recognizable bathroom?

Well, perhaps no sinks and running water or toilet paper, but recognizable, possibly.

The place is a shell of a building and the "toilets" are probably in dark, smelly corners.

I highly doubt anyone would walk willingly up 43 flights of stairs to be executed. I mean, if someone was going to force me into an abandoned tower, I would be kicking, scratching, screaming, the whole way up.

I can't imagine any Thai carrying a farang up 43 flights of stairs to stage a suicide either.

I would call this one what it is...

Could've been drugged and carried in already dead. Unlikely to be found for weeks, by which time the drugs would be out of his system.

How would drugs get out of his (non-functioning) system if he was dead?

• Like 1

'Ghost Tower'?

Land owners are fracked, it'll never sell unless they allow foreigners to buy the land....

-

So a 24 year old man from Sweden comes all the way to Thailand, rents a room and after 2 or 3 weeks goes to some place most long term expats don't even know about to climb 40-odd flights of stairs to kill himself? In a place that a local goes to pay a bribe to get in for whatever reason, yet this 24 year old in Thailand for just a few weeks or less chooses to go there, gets in, and with just credit cards but no cash reported in his pockets....

Nevermind the inability for it to be reported and initially dealt with....

There's almost nothing about this story that isn't odd.

Poor guy.

SATHON UNIQUE TOWER
Swede likely killed himself in Ghost Tower
The Sunday Nation

30249282-01_big.jpg

Sathon Unique Tower

BANGKOK: -- Police suspect a Swedish man found hanging from a beam on the 43rd floor of an abandoned building in downtown Bangkok committed suicide.

News of the body being discovered on Friday night went viral.

A Pantip post by an amateur photographer who led rescue workers and police to find the body at the Sathon Unique Tower in Yan Nawa district attracted over 2,300 comments. Stig Johann Christian Hammerstein, 30, was identified by his driver's licence. Police suspect he had been dead for up to five days.

Yan Nawa deputy superintendent Lt-Colonel Sanchai Matkhamchan said police found no trace of physical assault.

He said the investigation was ongoing and the autopsy would be performed at the Forensic Institute at Police General Hospital.

Police would contact the Swedish Embassy so the deceased's family could be alerted.

Sanchai said the Swede had entered Thailand on November 10 and rented a guesthouse room in the Phra Arthit area of Bangkok.

The amateur photographer who found the body, 33-year-old chef Nathawat Wasathien, told police he enjoyed taking photos of Bangkok from up high and accessed the building after paying a security guard Bt100.

The condominium building on Charoen Krung Road has been closed since 1997 but is a popular spot for photographers due to its spectacular vistas of the capital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Swede-likely-killed-himself-in-Ghost-Tower-30249282.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-07

I highly doubt anyone would walk willingly up 43 flights of stairs to be executed. I mean, if someone was going to force me into an abandoned tower, I would be kicking, scratching, screaming, the whole way up.

I can't imagine any Thai carrying a farang up 43 flights of stairs to stage a suicide either.

I would call this one what it is...

Could've been drugged and carried in already dead. Unlikely to be found for weeks, by which time the drugs would be out of his system.

How would drugs get out of his (non-functioning) system if he was dead?

....and hence my earlier comment while digital pikeys and garbage men should leave the detective work to the detectives....but of course that was shot down by digital pikey JS, for some reason.

These guys live in a world of csi TV program's and computer games where you get up and run away after crashing a virtual car through a building at 250mp/h.

• Like 2

'Ghost Tower'?

Land owners are fracked, it'll never sell unless they allow foreigners to buy the land....

-

So a 24 year old man from Sweden comes all the way to Thailand, rents a room and after 2 or 3 weeks goes to some place most long term expats don't even know about to climb 40-odd flights of stairs to kill himself? In a place that a local goes to pay a bribe to get in for whatever reason, yet this 24 year old in Thailand for just a few weeks or less chooses to go there, gets in, and with just credit cards but no cash reported in his pockets....

Nevermind the inability for it to be reported and initially dealt with....

There's almost nothing about this story that isn't odd.

Poor guy.

More hysterical nonsense - this building DOMINATES the whole area !

How can you not know about this place ? The 'long term expats' probably don't know about it as they rarely venture from their bar stool !

Can I just issue a small statement that may help the Mrs Marples out there - when 99.9% of people commit suicide, they are not thinking straight, they are depressed, they are not rational - so you trying to second guess what an irrational person is up to is just making you look stupid !

Do yourselves, and everyone else a favour and bore people elsewhere, though you've probably been banned from the local for boring the shit out of the regulars ?!

sound's like your one in the same my friend!

Tried to call the Police but could not reach them?

That happens so often here.

This shows how completely disfunctional and unfocussed the RTP is. Although they are extremely well versed in their corruption practices. I think it is time to strip them from the Royal predicament and just call them Thai Police. Then set up an new honorful force dedicated to do the work of "serve and protect" which is well paid and takes/asks no bribes. And call that new force Royal Thai Police.

• Like 1

Another one found dead.

R.I.P. whatever the cause, hanging or suicide. Neither of which is a pleasant way to die.

How do you know?

Have you died previously this way?

Do I need to have died this way previously to understand it is a very unpleasant way to die?

What a pathetic comment ND.

Do I have to eat hot chilli to know they are hot, or travel at the speed of light to know that is pretty damn fast?

Engage your brain a little more ND

Another one found dead.

R.I.P. whatever the cause, hanging or suicide. Neither of which is a pleasant way to die.

How do you know?

Have you died previously this way?

Do I need to have died this way previously to understand it is a very unpleasant way to die?

What a pathetic comment ND.

Do I have to eat hot chilli to know they are hot, or travel at the speed of light to know that is pretty damn fast?

Engage your brain a little more ND

Ok, people keep having a go, I will respond.

There's literally thousands of ways to die. Hanging is a lot quicker and more pleasant way to go than say burning to death and probably a lot nicer than having a brain tumor and slowly dying with all the respective treatment that goes on.

When someone hangs they either a.) break their neck and loose consciousness instantly or in the case where the neck isn't broken b.) loose consciousness within a few minutes after the hanging commences.

Once the person looses consciousness, the evidence (& I've seen it been given in court) suggests the person feels nothing. I'm not saying that wouldn't be unpleasant, but it's far from the worst scenario that springs to mind.

So on the grand scale of things, if you've got to go, it sure beats been entrapped in a car and slowly dying in agony whilst your rescuers try and cut you from the wreck. It beats being stung to death by hornets or dying slowly with cancer.

Do you get it?

Everyone has to die at some point, when id go, I'd rather the option of a couple of minutes of pain as opposed to months of it.....that's for sure.

Anyway, flame away and try and engage your brain before responding again.

• Like 1

I'm tired of all the conspiracy theorists. I believed them re the Koh Tao murders but looks like they were wrong there and also probably wrong here. Some seem to want Thais to be blamed for anything.

Thailand has always attracted weird foreigners many of who are mentally ill ie alkies, druggies, sex addicts. It's no surprise many commit suicide.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sathorn+unique&oq=sathorn+unique&aqs=chrome..69i57.7243j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

That link gives a lot of information about that particular building. It was to be called the "Sathorn Unique". Entry is not nearly as simple as bribing a guard. In fact, I think 'guarding' is pretty informal and done by the transients. To access the building, you can't just go in the lobby and climb up. You need to climb up an adjacent parking structure 6 floors and walk across the roof of a gangway. That alone looks pretty scary. The guy who took this picture didn't go across.

sathorn_zpsb4e8cce4.jpg

Hard to believe the developers weren't able to finish this place. Could be bought for a song, and probable finished on the cheap. But good luck getting any Thais to move in there if it is believed to be haunted.

RIP Swedish man.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Farang with a box of rice?

why would he bring one; looks like staged in a very Asian way

Did you possibly consider that he'd fallen on hard times and was living in the building, just because he had credit cards doesn't mean he had money available. Yet another conspiracy theorist who always thinks there's more than meets the eye.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm tired of all the conspiracy theorists. I believed them re the Koh Tao murders but looks like they were wrong there and also probably wrong here. Some seem to want Thais to be blamed for anything.

Thailand has always attracted weird foreigners many of who are mentally ill ie alkies, druggies, sex addicts. It's no surprise many commit suicide.

100% agree with you. It's always some cover up or suspicious incident, seems to me the majority of people who comment on TVF have very sad little lives and hope there's more than meets the eye in this poor man's demise just so they can have YET ANOTHER sly dig at the country that THEY CHOOSE to live in.

• Like 2

The 43rd floor is a long climb to do yourself in

The lower floors would have been just as suitable

RIP man

Did you consider that maybe he'd fallen on hard times and was living there? Less chance of being discovered by security if you're hiding on the upper floors.

It would be good to know the facts before jumping to conclusions!

Why floor 43? Was the love of his life a bargirl who wore a '43' tag? Or is it 4+3 = 7? There is no end to speculation is there!

• Like 1