Phuket authorities, Navy destroy beach club

webfact

BREAKING: Phuket authorities, Navy destroy beach club
Nattha Thepbamrung

1418017029_1-org.jpg
End of standoff: the excavator goes to work.

PHUKET: -- After a standoff of several hours, an excavator is now knocking down the Beach Club at Nai Yang Beach.

Local Tambon Mai Khao staff led by deputy director Surin Yotharak, and backed by some 30 Navy personnel carrying assualt weapons, machine guns, a shotgun and pistols, arrived this morning (December 8) to find the way to the Beach Club blocked by cars.

The Beach Club is one of the few remaining illegal structures at Nai Yang.

Leading opposition to the demolition was Beach Club owner Aroon Paewpanchu, accompanied by some of his staff and a handful of local supporters.

Mr Aroon complained, "The final court decision is not until tomorrow. The OrBorTor is rushing things. This is not fair."

Mr Surin replied, "The court has already decided that his land paper is not legitimate. He has only a SorKor 1, which actually refers to anotherpiece of land."

Initially four vehicles were arranged to block the way to the club ibn a last ditch attempt to stop the excavator doing its work, but a tow truck was brought in and removed one of them, taking it away to Tha Chat Chai police station.

This cleared the way for the excavator, which is now at work.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/breaking-phuket-authorities-navy-destroy-beach-club-50015.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-08

Cheers! Of course the land paper isn't ligitimate...it's on the King's beach!!!

Next stop should be BangTau. Two clubs there have sunchairs and umbrellas on the beach because they say they own the beach. Only place on Phuket I've seen it. Owner says he'll sue anyone who says his papers aren't legitimate. BS

Cheers! Of course the land paper isn't ligitimate...it's on the King's beach!!!

This building and the others are actually on the opposite side of the road from the beach, (so not HM King's property). But the land on which they sit is - AFAIK - Sor Kor Por (agricultural) land owned by Indigo Pearl and rented out to them.

IP has been going through the courts top upgrade this land to Chanote. If that is granted, then we can expect to see the legal return of this businesses - although probably paying IP a much higher rent for their legal status.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I see on TV a while ago GPS data showing the huge, expensive Dewa development was also built on the King's land? Or has that been "taken care of" already?

Is Dewa legal or not? If not, then I would expect the Navy to the same there, or is there just TOO much investment involved?

• Like 2

Is Dewa legal or not?

I would not like to make a statement about this on an open forum, but I did visit the Park office some months ago and was shown a very detailed computer map on which were plotted all the properties/land claims that either were completely within the NP, or intruded across its boundaries.

Upon viewing the plot for Dewa, I asked the question of the park official "is Dewa within the NP boundaries?", to which the reply was "of course it is!"

This hardly came as a surprise to me and many others who lived here prior to Dewa being built :)

As to whether it is legal to build a hotel within the NP, you perhaps need to ask the NP office...

Thai democracy would never have been able to accomplish this kind of rigorous prompt decision making followed up by prompt implementation. Military discipline seems to be the only solution to counter decades of Mai pen rai corruption and lawlessness.

Following this type of reasoning, you would conclude that the vast majority of countries outside Western Europe/North America/Australia would be better off being ruled by the army.

Yes Mr. Aroon, this is really not fair, cause you have paid a lot to your greedy police friends but today you loose your illegal venue property.

Som Nam Na Mr. Aroon, the army government is not matched with your dreams.

• Like 1

Went by Nai Yang beach Monday 1.12 and many structures remain, albeit some deserted, cordoned off or just left to its own device. Dewa is untouched but all my favourite restaurants are gone. The beach looks terrible with all these half demolished structures and now they are adding a new one. Sad.