how are you supposed to get to town from Jao Faa West now?

stevehaigh

i just went to town on Jao Faa West and needed to turn right onto the road that comes from central, the one with Phuket FC on.

now the central underpass is operating 2 way traffic they seemed to have closed of any way to get onto that road, from either north or south. i ended up driving the wrong way on that little slip road, Thai style, which is easy enough on a bike but not possible in a car

The whole operation has been a bit of a fiasco, so far as vehicle control and flow, hasn't it? Since day one the traffic light configuration never changed to reflect the reality of flow, hence the total disregard for traffic light colour......... How to turn left and right to Patong or Phuket Town has been a bit of a mystery for some time, too.

Shambolic.

TIT

Turn right (if coming from Chalong) before the fiasco, near the Austrian Consulate, passing by the weekend market, this road which takes you to Mr. Com or the slaughterhouse junction. I use this way going to immigration/LTO, coming from Kathu. Much faster than going straight ahead passing the school.

post-693-0-18703500-1418057551_thumb.jpg

Edited by hkt83100
  • Like 1

The whole operation has been a bit of a fiasco, so far as vehicle control and flow, hasn't it? Since day one the traffic light configuration never changed to reflect the reality of flow, hence the total disregard for traffic light colour......... How to turn left and right to Patong or Phuket Town has been a bit of a mystery for some time, too.

Shambolic.

TIT

Did anyone honestly think this would not be the case here?

P**s up and brewery always spring to mind here

Went through the underpass this morning, fantastic, no traffic all the way through! great job being done and it's going to be a huge improvement once it is all completed.

Which of course will be before New Year

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Don't understand the reply but how great to go straight through without stopping, brillient.

I went through the Tesco intersection and the tunnel yesterday heading south.

Best run through there in memory. Should be even better when they finish the road works either end of the tunnel.(and the tunnel itself - early 2016)

Yep first time in years I actually enjoyed the drive from Chalong past Central and through the Tesco intersection, excellent job being done in my opinion.

• Like 1

Went through the underpass this morning, fantastic, no traffic all the way through! great job being done and it's going to be a huge improvement once it is all completed.

Don't understand the reply but how great to go straight through without stopping, brillient.

The completed Central Underpass project is the New Year's gift to the people of Phuket. It was due to be completed in October and looking at the mess still existing around the underpass itself it still looks a long way off completion.

And how I wish they would resynchronise the traffic lights to take into account the fact that two lanes of traffic are now using the underpass. No need for a 3 minute wait East to West any more.

Now that they have two lanes, one in each direction, using the tunnel, can anyone envision a third lane fitting there as well?

I can't see it happening.

Why and what would be the purpose of a third lane through the tunnel?

It was designed for 3 lanes & then they could switch the flow according to traffic conditions. Before the underpass it always seemed both sides had about equal number of cars so not sure about this brilliant idea.

The completed Central Underpass project is the New Year's gift to the people of Phuket. It was due to be completed in October and looking at the mess still existing around the underpass itself it still looks a long way off completion.

And how I wish they would resynchronise the traffic lights to take into account the fact that two lanes of traffic are now using the underpass. No need for a 3 minute wait East to West any more.

Don't worry it will happen. It only took 3 or 4 years to get the traffic lights syncronised properly after they were first installed.

• Like 1