Sathorn Unique Tower: Forensic medicine confirms Swedish man dies of suffocation

webfact

Forensic medicine confirms Swedish man dies of suffocation

8-12-2557-17-45-02-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Swedish man found dead in the unfinished condominium building on Sathorn road was confirmed by the Forensic Medicine Institute to have died from suffocation probably as a result of suicide.

Meanwhile, Swedish embassy in Bangkok contacted Yan Nawa police to try to determine the identity of the dead man who was dead for about 4-5 days before his body was discovered on the 43 floors of the abandoned Sathorn Unique Tower building.

Yan Nawa police said that they would summon the owner of the guest house where the victim had stayed before his death for questioning.

Public works officials from Sathorn district office today started inspecting the abandoned condominium building to determine its safety. A notice board will be erected to prohibit unauthorized persons to get near the building.

After the financial crisis in 1997, more than 500 unfinished buildings were abandoned as their developers became broke. After economic recovery, construction continued for many of these buildings. There are now about 70 unfinished buildings which are over eight stories high.

Associate Professor Trairat Charuthat of Chulalongkorn University, an architectural expert, suggested the city administration to issue a regulation to prevent these abandoned buildings from being turned into a den for criminal activities.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/forensic-medicine-confirms-swedish-man-dies-suffocation

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-08

"confirmed by the Forensic Medicine Institute to have died from suffocation probably as a result of suicide."

Suffocation from hanging. Immense 'Forensic Knowledge' on display. I'd call that an embarassing conclusion!

New city regulation stating, "Thou shalt not commit an illegal activity in an abandoned building."

Yeap, that should stop criminal activity from occurring in the abandoned buildings. Whoever thought of this new regulation was a genius....recommend immediate promotion!

• Like 1

"...suggested the city administration to issue a regulation to prevent these abandoned buildings from being turned into a den for criminal activities."

Should have issued the same regulations in Koh Tao. Probably would have prevented the murders. rolleyes.gif

have looked at this place from a distance on a number of occasions. had though it would be an excellent location to stay. very near the wonderful tops supermarket on charoen krung nearby. i go into that supremarket to buy things and have to leave before staying too long or i will be overcome with exuberance. expensive now though after the refit.

Edited by Born Again Atheist

One day a few years back when travelling to immigration when it was based at sunam plue, I asked the driver about this particular abandoned condominium. He told me that the owner who had put every penny he owned into building it one day had a visit from the local buildind safety department who said the building was unsafe and was therefore unfit to house people. The owner was of course extremely upset and that day started drinking heavily. Before his family could reach him due to workers concern for him, he had climbed to the top of the building and jumped off the top to his death. A story I heard that others have also, does anyone know if this is true? Is there any news about it if it was true? Just sharing my story no offence to the Swedish man deceased.

"confirmed by the Forensic Medicine Institute to have died from suffocation probably as a result of suicide."

Suffocation from hanging. Immense 'Forensic Knowledge' on display. I'd call that an embarassing conclusion!

There is a difference between brilliance, and common logic..... No sh*! Sherlock....... whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Yan Nawa police said they would summon the owner of the guest house,where the decease stayed

to come to the police station,if the police took crime seriously they would get out and interview

people,not tell them to come in.

regards Worgeordie

You should be more embarrassed by your weak attempt at a piss-take as that is not what the FMI said..."suffocation probably as a result of suicide."

There is a difference between brilliance, and common logic..... No sh*! Sherlock....... whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

...and suffocation can occur a number of ways, suicide being just one of them. "Common" logic didn't enter into your post unfortunately.

1. Hanging, if done 'right', results in death through the breaking of the neck rather than suffocation. So now we know how things went in this case. [in other thread, on this, I commented that hanging is not so 'pleasant' a death if it ends up in suffocation rather than a neck-snap.]

2. More important, it was always possible that the man was killed in some other way then the body set up to look like a suicide by hanging. It's simply the coroner's job to confirm the latter. Basically, the coroner is saying that there is no evidence of foul play. Nothing embarrassing about that.

I read the headline. Man has been suffocated. Was about to type. Great some honesty rather than just passing off as suicide.

Then opened to the page. Man commits suicide.

Yep, another tourist comes all the way to thailand. Let me guess# he was feeling sad because he ran out of money.

Nough said.

we already knew hanging involves suffocation- question is was it checked thoroughly for signs of struggle? Article wants to pass it off as another routine suicide in the 'hub' of routine, casual suicides... makes you wonder; but we may never know anymore than all the balcony jumpers.