OTT Thai tire pressures...

zyphodb

As I was replacing yet another front wheel inner tube on my dirt bike, which as usual, the valve had come away from the tube a thought occurred to me...We deride the Thais for over inflating everyone's tires, but perhaps they are actually being rather clever...

I bought a tire pressure gauge 6 or so months ago & have been putting the right amount of air in the tubes of my four 'bikes' & the number of flats I've had on them has increased at least fourfold, all with the valve coming away from the tube...

So maybe the Thais.. knowing the inferior quality inner tubes that are made here over inflate to stop the valves blowing off the tubes........

Dunno if any of this is true???

Thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have run the correct tire pressures in my click for the last 8 months and have never had a flat, before that had a few due to the mechanics over inflating them, had to replace the back tire a couple of times due to them splitting, obviously poor quality tires!

Edited by Badrabbit
  • Like 1

For car tires in a hot climate should we slightly over inflate or run to car manufacturers recommendations which are same as European recommendations.

Tyre pressures stated in your handbook are pressures measured when the tyre is cold. I know that's relative over here, cold I mean, so you should really check them when the car , bike has been sitting still for a while, not during a long run,

One to watch over here is the pressure in tyres on for example the Mazda BT 50. Stated as 30 psi cold, you will find that some places lke to get them to 45 psi, the pressure for the older type tyres that pick ups use.

Edited by overherebc

Over inflated motorcycle tyres are very dangerous .Having a sudden loss of air at speed when the tube explodes ,can make keeping upright very difficult.Its been done numerous times when a new tube is fitted .What have Thai mechanics got against a gauge ? .They never use one and on most occasions grossly over inflate .

I would actually drop a couple of psi on my CBR 250 before heading out on my long trips, where I'd be riding hard for 4-6 hours.

When I bought new Michelin's to go on, I brought my own tire gauge and, sure enough, they had over inflated the recommended pressures clearly stamped on the side walls. I don't think they even know there is a recommended pressure stamped on the tire walls, and just pump in the air till it "feels right".

I have to top up my tire pressure every time I gas up with my Honda 125Wave (2010 model). Normally once a week.

When I skip doing this tire pressure drops to the point where I can be a bit wobbly at slow speeds weaving around stopped traffic. It is only parked in the sun a few hours a day, since weather cooled a bit I lose less pressure.

I find an amazing difference in control/balance with full tires.

Tubelesd tires are the way forward, tubed tires are a big pain, going to change my click soon, at least with tubless you are able too fix a puncture yourself wherever you are.

Really? I'd like to know how you do that. Do you also carry all the neccessary tools in your bike to do the job? Or maybe you just pump in a can of that instant sealing stuff? I'm all ears. whistling.gif

Tubelesd tires are the way forward, tubed tires are a big pain, going to change my click soon, at least with tubless you are able too fix a puncture yourself wherever you are.

Really? I'd like to know how you do that. Do you also carry all the neccessary tools in your bike to do the job? Or maybe you just pump in a can of that instant sealing stuff? I'm all ears. whistling.gif

The same way everyone does it. With a flat kit.

1418099786779.jpg

• Like 1

First you have to understand that the tire should have stamped on it ( cold Tire Pressure) 32 or 35 what ever.

This is cold tire pressure only. back in the good old USA I had an air compressor so I would check the tires on the big bike before heading out.

Your tire pressure can raise 5 to 7 pounds or more while running in hot weather and on hot road surface. This is normal, Do Not let air out.

once you have got your cold tire pressure down you could get a hot tire pressure established but this will be different daily based on road temp and air temp.

My Honda PCX 150 read 29 for front and 33 for back. I go 30 and 34 and average 57 klm per liter. good enough for me.

For car tires in a hot climate should we slightly over inflate or run to car manufacturers recommendations which are same as European recommendations.

Hot air expands!

Air does not expand when cooled or contract when heated. It is the other way around.

I under-inflate car tyres in hot climate especially when going on a long trip because air will expand when heated.

I fitted a nice set of 20" mags and lower profile tyres and they filled them with nitrogen. I keep the pressures constantly at the recommended pressure and it never changes. The shop check the pressuures for free whenever I pop in and they never need topping up. Maybe a bit OTT to change to N2 but as I got them filled for free when I bought the wheels and tyres it's worth doing as the nitrogen doesn't really expand so the pressures stay constant.

• Like 1

The same way everyone does it. With a flat kit.

1418099786779.jpg

Now you're a well prepared guy! Personally, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and I'm never that far off the beaten track that I can't find a local shop nearby who can fix it for me. Saying that, in the 11 years I've been riding motorbikes, I can only remember ever having one puncture .... touch wood! thumbsup.gif

On the subject, my tyres deflate slowly over three weeks down to about 15 psi. Happens on all six wheels of my three bikes.

Have I somehow picked up a batch of bad valves or is this normal?

Mine every 2 weeks.... :(

I already had countless punctures due to deflated tyres. Never happened to me in my country.

I guess it happens because of the poor inner tubes quality..... they are really cheap, aren't they? :)

RE Post #21

Nitrogen expands when heated as do all gasses including the atmospheric mix => air (69% nitrogen).

Remember from high school chemistry Boyle's law of perfect gasses:

PV/T=k

Pressure x Volume divided by Temp (Kelvin) is constant.

Volume in the filled tire is pretty constant, so if T goes up, P goes up proportionately.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

On the subject, my tyres deflate slowly over three weeks down to about 15 psi. Happens on all six wheels of my three bikes.

Have I somehow picked up a batch of bad valves or is this normal?

Mine every 2 weeks.... :(

I already had countless punctures due to deflated tyres. Never happened to me in my country.

I guess it happens because of the poor inner tubes quality..... they are really cheap, aren't they? :)

Poor quality inner tubes, poor quality tires and poor quality mechanics who wack in as much air as humanly possible! Saying that I have had very few flat tires but do get the air loss over a week maybe, it's very easy to let the air out after the mechanic has had a rush of blood to his head and tried to put hundreds of psi in!

First you have to understand that the tire should have stamped on it ( cold Tire Pressure) 32 or 35 what ever.

This is cold tire pressure only. back in the good old USA I had an air compressor so I would check the tires on the big bike before heading out.

Your tire pressure can raise 5 to 7 pounds or more while running in hot weather and on hot road surface. This is normal, Do Not let air out.

once you have got your cold tire pressure down you could get a hot tire pressure established but this will be different daily based on road temp and air temp.

My Honda PCX 150 read 29 for front and 33 for back. I go 30 and 34 and average 57 klm per liter. good enough for me.

recommended values on the tire does not mean anything.

It has to be done according to the recommended air pressure of the specific motorcycle which is stated in the manual.

• Like 1

It's no hassle, compressor and tools are carried in a small Ocean waterproof pack, just imagine what a nightmare it would be should you experience a puncture on a big bike, you would either have to call breakdown people and who knows how long that would take, flag down a pick-up or lorry who's occupants would probably not speak your language, ask them some how to help transport your big bike to a garage, whereas I can fix a puncture in minutes and be on my way.

It is ok to carry it if it is a big adventure or touring bike but cannot imagine carrying such weight on a sportbike.

In thailand there are tire shops every 5 - 10 km everywhere and if you have a flat, you can still ride your bike slowly. One i had a rapid deflation - almost fatal - due to a broken valve stem and rode my bike 30 kms to pattaya from the fast higway sextion with a flat front. It is not the end of the world if you use tubeless tires.

Edited by ll2

It's no hassle, compressor and tools are carried in a small Ocean waterproof pack, just imagine what a nightmare it would be should you experience a puncture on a big bike, you would either have to call breakdown people and who knows how long that would take, flag down a pick-up or lorry who's occupants would probably not speak your language, ask them some how to help transport your big bike to a garage, whereas I can fix a puncture in minutes and be on my way.

It is ok to carry it if it is a big adventure or touring bike but cannot imagine carrying such weight on a sportbike.

In thailand there are tire shops every 5 - 10 km everywhere and if you have a flat, you can still ride your bike slowly. One i had a rapid deflation - almost fatal - due to a broken valve stem and rode my bike 30 kms to pattaya from the fast higway sextion with a flat front. It is not the end of the world if you use tubeless tires.

What do you mean carrying such a weight, the compressor weighs virtually nothing.

post-225670-1418107149827_thumb.jpg

In this bag is the air compressor, tire gauge, cloth, galvanizing solution, plugs and knife, tools are carried in my tank bag, no problem at all, why drive many Kms with a flat when you can fix a puncture in minutes.

Edited by Badrabbit