what is this plant

Looks to me what the Thai's call "Spinach" .... but I am not 100% certain... They use the leaves for cooking... if it is! wink.png

ok thanks for the try, do you perhaps know the name of the thai dish(es) it would go in?

cant recall seeing it at the wetmarket vendors but there is so many green plant pieces to look at, may have missed it.

Edited by heionus heretic

We have one growing in our garden and I asked the wife a couple of days ago what it was.

Spinach.

I said it's very high for spinach, she replied - I want to get seeds.

I left it at that.

Good for you...!!! leave it to the boss / better half tongue.png It grows very easily from seed!

it's not the same as what we westerners know as spinach or Popeye for that matter .... but cooking is much the same, it cooks very quickly ... just use the leaves, not the stems!

One farang owned restaurant near me uses it to make "spinach pie" for vegetarians...wink.png

ok 2 more questions now we know it is edible

1. can you eat it raw? ie there are no poisonous things that need to be cooked out? dont have a cooker so i eat everything raw or precooked elsewhere.

2. what is it good for ? you know how many things we eat have a beneficial factor for certain ailments and thais seem to have this knowledge. mostly now i eat things more for this reason than for taste. but they still taste nice anyhow.

1. can you eat it raw? ie there are no poisonous things that need to be cooked out? dont have a cooker so i eat everything raw or precooked elsewhere.

2. what is it good for ? you know how many things we eat have a beneficial factor for certain ailments and thais seem to have this knowledge. mostly now i eat things more for this reason than for taste. but they still taste nice anyhow.

Not poisonous, I have tried the leaves raw.... nothing to get overly excited about in the taste... but I guess has the goodness of a green veggie! So should be OK as a salad green.

But not as sickly tasting, as some of the leaves the Thais cook! the prickly shrub/ tree with pinnate foliage the use the leaves of comes to mind ...bah.gif

You could pour boiling hot water over them, they would cook by doing that! .... Can you do that, if you want it cooked?

Not poisonous, I have tried the leaves raw.... nothing to get overly excited about in the taste... but I guess has the goodness of a green veggie! So should be OK as a salad green.

But not as sickly tasting, as some of the leaves the Thais cook! the prickly shrub/ tree with pinnate foliage the use the leaves of comes to mind ...bah.gif

You could pour boiling hot water over them, they would cook by doing that! .... Can you do that, if you want it cooked?

ok thanks. have thought of buying one of those boiling sticks but cant justify the weight. pre-boiled eggs from seven are more convenient. perhaps their is a seven around that has boiling water but cant see any recommendation so far to sample this plant.

dont know the prickly shrub. vaguely recall seeing something like that though have never eaten it. if the thai are eating it as mention perhaps it has some other beneficial properties so taste is not so important. we all know thais addiction to aroi.

• 2 weeks later...

67150690.jpg

The nutrition of spinach is mostly similar to Moroheiya vegetable. Spinach is high in iron, calcium, protein, vitamin C and B2. Moreover, it also has abundance of beta carotene and chaperonin (which help to reduce the level of cholesterol within the blood). Iron is a source of anti- oxidants and helps prevent aging effect. Some research also states that iron can effect on brain maintaining.

ref: http://radiancewholefoods.com/index.php/shop-online.html#!/Spinach-Organic-ปวยเล้ง-500g/p/16502900/category=3796249

looks to be it.

might want to look at this too http://greenoodle.com/moroheiya/

Edited by gir1

• 2 weeks later...

they have these spinach croissant type things at Tops chroen krung bkk. had one. wasnt over impressed. too much sugar for starters, not much taste. not planning to have any more.

think this spinach type stuff is more directed for menstruating women> iron loss.