Where to Have a Quality Suit Made in BKK?

Hanuman2547

I'm looking to purchase two quality suits in Bangkok. Who would you suggest as an honest reputable tailor in Bangkok to do a 1st class job? I want good materials and quality thread and stitching. I've looked at some of the previous reports on this subject but most are 4-10 years old.

Thanks!

This question was raised earlier this year but I can't remember where. I can heartily recommend Fillipo at either Thaniya Plaza, Silom or Pracha Cheun in Bang Sue.

http://fillipo-tailor.com

You will pay the price but it still works out at under half the price for the same level of materials and workmanship that you would get in London or similar. Only word of warning (and this applies to most decent tailors in Thailand) is to make sure you are clear on your style, cuts, etc as they sometimes provide a more "Asian" cut. I nearly looked a little "Dallas/Dynasty" as they padded the shoulders for a slightly less broad man than me. That is why you have 2 or more fittings! Just be vocal and they will work magic.

Beethoven's on Sukhumvit 26 Phrom Phong.

Not cheap and cheerful - more refined and quality. But worth the price. Excellent range of fabrics. I've had suits, blazers and trousers and they've all lasted years with some hard wearing. Great if you want quality and value for money rather than a cheap short lasting one.

Years ago I got caught in a rain squall on Sukhumivit Soi 8. I took refuge under the eves of a tailor shop.

An extremely nice Indian guy invited me inside and didn't try to sell me anything, but offered me coffee, water, tea & even a beer!

A few months later I needed a couple suits made so I went to see him & ordered two suits. I still have them 13 years later!

Absolutely fantastic fit (be prepared for at least 3 visits over the course of a week to get the tailoring done correctly).

One visit to choose fabric & order, another visit for a second set of measuring & fitting, and pick them up on the 3rd visit. Order on Monday done by Friday.

Top quality material & the jackets have actual pockets, no fake ones.

It was $180 USD for two suits, and included tailor made shirts and silk ties.

No idea about current prices, but I did stop in about a year ago just to say hello & they're still going strong.

http://www.jimscollection.com/location.htm

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

I can highly recommend Pinky Tailor, at Ploenchit, behind Mahatun Tower, next to Ploenchit BTS.

Pinky is a super tailor, great attention to detail and great workmanship, with a vast amount of materials.

I have used him for about the past eight years and have had around seven suits from him.

DINO'S on Sukhumvit just before by Soi 10 has been my tailor for 15 years or more. Full range of clothing including suits, shirts, blazers and shorts and wide selection of good materials. Has also provided for the misses too.

Never had problems. As you "grow" Dino's will make alterations to their clothes free of charge for years after.

When a pen leaked on me on the first day I wore some trousers they replaced the damaged part free of charge. Have previously recommended to many, none of whom have had anything other than good things to say about the products.

Not cheap but if I were to be looking for cheap I'd go to where gaudy, polyester ties get given away free of charge.

Narin couture near soi 8 Sukhumvit, had my wedding tux made there. It's all made by hand so actually qualifies as bespoke but doesn't come cheap, I chose Holland and Sherry fabric which including waistcoat cost about 46,000thb, amazing fit though.

I don't buy tailor made suits any more, but when I did, I used Khun Deep at Regency tailors, ground floor Platinum Plaza Pratunam.

He has been the tailor of choice for more than 20 years for staff at the Australian Embassy, he is a really nice chap and travels to Oz at least once a year to take orders from long term customers!

Seen the "suits" on important Thai people ? TV announcers, celebrities, politicians ? Suggest a little longer commute, beginning at the airport and ending at Saville Row ! ( London )

And I almost thought the racist anti-Thai TV posters were having a break..but no you are still here

• Like 2

I think my only experience buying from tailors in BKK was something like having 3 measured to fit cotton shirts for 2000thb.

So for a full suit, how much is a good price to pay if you want to save money? or if you want quality?

Also, what are good materials for Thailand's climate? or to last a good few years?

Any more tips on buying a suit in BKK?

Harry's Boutique, Ruamchit Hotel aroud Sukhumvit 13-15

Had 2 suits made here and very comfortable, + trousers and shirts and ties.

Also Brought him one of my favorite shirts and he duplicated 3 of them exactly from different fabrics I chose.

I tried 2 different along Sukhumvit and not even close in quality and fit.

Seen the "suits" on important Thai people ? TV announcers, celebrities, politicians ? Suggest a little longer commute, beginning at the airport and ending at Saville Row ! ( London )

Seems that the OP was asking for suggestions in BKK.

Directions for some are lost at the opening of the map.

Nickermann's at the basement of Landmark Plaza. It is a tailor shop focusing on sales to frequent business people and I have used them for years. I should add that I am also an extremely fuzzy person who isn't satisfied unless the job is perfectly made.

http://www.nickermanns.net/

Have to agree, this tailor shop is top notch. Have used him for years and never had a problem. Even sends finished products abroad and will make repeat orders and send also. Never had cause to complain and have recommended them to friends.

Strongly recommend " Gualta ", corner of Sukhumvit and Soi Nana. Tell them " Father in Pattaya " sent you.

The name is Gulati, not Gualta. At one time Gulati specialized in ladies' clothing, but that seems to be history now.

The same family also has Rajah's, near Soi 8, in the same building as their On 8 hotel, entry to the tailor shop on Sukhumvit near the BTS stairway. Rajah's used to be on Soi 4 at the entrance to the Nana Entertainment Plaza. I've been getting clothes there for 30 years. "Hi, I'm Bobby, have a beer." The prices are no longer the bargains they once were, but the quality is still first rate.

Another tailor shop run by other members of the Gulati family is Rajawongse on Sukhumvit near the Nana Post Office.

If you believe their stories, Raja's dresses half the people in the US Embassy including Marines, and his brother at Rajawongse dresses the other half.

Edited by CajunCruiser

And I almost thought the racist anti-Thai TV posters were having a break..but no you are still here

Yes, the no self-esteem pack with nothing to offer.

I agree with post #7: Art's Tailor in Thaniya was for many years acknowledged as one of the very best for quality of workmanship and first rate materials. I first bought from them about 1980. I am still wearing some trousers and shirts of theirs that date from 1994/96.

However, I found more recently that they were becoming very expensive -- although the quality was tops -- probably due to their increasingly Japanese business clientele looking for the very best that can be bought in Bangkok and willing to pay top rates for it. So recently I went more down-market and finally found good value for all my requirements, including tuxedo, in one of the Indian (Sikh) tailors in the Sukhumvit area near Nana, where I have been well served. This was Siam Emporium Tailors, originally based in Siam Center but now in two locations in Sukhumvit: (i) Corner of Sukh and Soi 8, close to Nana BTS exit (ii) 2 shops beyond Exchange Tower in Sukh at the Asoke intersection.

Like many other tailors Siam Emporium have been hit by the uncertainties in the visitor market this year and I now see that thy are making a big push to do business by mail order (you measure yourself) on-line from their Web site. It seems as though this is their main focus now. This could mean that they are going to be less and less geared to satisfying the special demands of personal customers and so I probably need to start looking for another change and following up some of the very interesting suggestions in this thread. This has come just at the right time for me!

There are subtle differences in the cutting and finishing style between most countries. London, Milan and New York are traditionally different ( and Bangkok! ). Be careful when interpreting other peoples preferences and well-meaning recommendations. There are few short cuts to finding a good tailor who will match your sartorial aspirations. You have to do the leg work. Try to talk to the tailor and not only the store salesman.

The George Bush and cohorts get suits from Rajawongse at http://www.dress-for-success.com/ in the Nana district. Read the famous names on the biz cards in the changing room.

I got one suit two pants and two "free" ties there 5 yrs ago for about $400usd and now find the fabric not to my liking, so research fabrics before going to any tailor. I guess the Bush crowd throw their suits away after one wearing or something.

Universal Tailors at Silom, almost the corner of soi 18.

Perfect English, literally thousands of good reviews on trip adviser.

I have had clothes made there and the difference is obvious, their fabrics wear well and don't stretch even in this heat and the moisture it creates.

I used to work in the fashion industry in Europe, I was really surprised by the level these guys worked at.

There are subtle differences in the cutting and finishing style between most countries. London, Milan and New York are traditionally different ( and Bangkok! ). Be careful when interpreting other peoples preferences and well-meaning recommendations. There are few short cuts to finding a good tailor who will match your sartorial aspirations. You have to do the leg work. Try to talk to the tailor and not only the store salesman.

Good luck with that....

99% of the 'tailors' in Bangkok are not tailors. They are merely fabric salesmen. They sell you the fabric (typically cheap polyester trash) and take your measurements, then send it off to a Thai sweatshop down a dinky old Soi to do all the work. There is no accountability for quality or consistency, as they will use multiple people and places.

If you are after quality at a price that that is still very reasonable, then there is only one tailor you should even consider, and that is Tailor On Ten.

Why?

-No dodgy Indian guys trying to hard-sell you and no need for negotiations. All their prices are fixed. The issue with a lot of these Indian places is that they pay commissions out to hotel concierges or tuktuk drivers. Typically, these commissions will be around 40% of the cost. That is 40% of the cost of your suit that is NOT going into the fabric or labor.

- Quality is leaps and bounds above the competition, it isn't even comparable. They do all their tailoring "yes they actually MAKE your clothes" at their shop. They will even take you out-back so you can watch the tailors work and have direct access to the person who is actually making your clothes. Try asking for the same at all the other places suggested here. The only other one i know who does it is Narin, and he charges 3x as much as Tailor On Ten and takes 5x as long.

- Service. They have the most pimped out shop in Bangkok. It is an old Thai house that has been converted. You get your own private changing room. The staff are western and Thai, not indian (nothing against our indian friends here). It is a completely different experience.

Check out their website www.tailoronten.com

If you want to go there, it is a bit difficult to find. It is right down the end of Soi 8, Sukhumvit. Maybe 10 or 15min walking distance from Sukhumvit Road. These guys are so good at what they do, they don't even need walk-in traffic for their business...

Edited by Metapod