Comfortable crash helmet in Thailand.

roamer

Can anyone recommend a comfortable helmet to wear in LOS ? My daughter is planning an extended trip there and will be hiring bikes but thinks her EU helmet would be a bit heavy, she's not planning long trips. Qualified rider and has been around Thailand enough to know the driving standards. Thanks.

• Like 2

a full face helmet is always better. lots of choices here too.

A choice of helmet is so varying from person to person and theres no real point on asking about it here.The wearer must make the choice by trying some on as everybodys heads are different >what is comfotrable for me may not be for anothere.

To ll2 you frquently appear force your views to others and you saying a fullface is always bettere is another example.I mean in what ways is one always better? It is also very much an individuals choice ans must not be compolsory as you seem to say.World wide what perecent of bike riders do you believe ware full face helmet because you say it is better.In fact does anyone have numbers on this? Myself i would rough ballpark at maybe only 10-15 % of all riders feel that a full face is bettere .IAnd not always.

• Like 1

A choice of helmet is so varying from person to person and theres no real point on asking about it here.The wearer must make the choice by trying some on as everybodys heads are different >what is comfotrable for me may not be for anothere.

To ll2 you frquently appear force your views to others and you saying a fullface is always bettere is another example.I mean in what ways is one always better? It is also very much an individuals choice ans must not be compolsory as you seem to say.World wide what perecent of bike riders do you believe ware full face helmet because you say it is better.In fact does anyone have numbers on this? Myself i would rough ballpark at maybe only 10-15 % of all riders feel that a full face is bettere .IAnd not always.

Better for preventing your brain to spill to the asphalt.

Isnt it enough for you?:lol:

Forcing what? It is your head man not mine. And if someone asks recommendation, i recommend full facr helmet. But you have problem about it looks like?

Please do some reading about helmets.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I'm with II2 on this.

If you read this link, 35% of hits are to the chin.

https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/injury_prevention/children/toolkits/motorcycles/motorcycle_helmets.htm

http://www.gizmag.com/icon-airframe-statistic-helmet/31792/

Without a fullface, you have a 35% chance of leaving your lower jaw smeared on the road or it smashing up into your brain.

Look up images of crashed helmets and ask if your face was taking that kind of abrasion/hit instead of the helmet.

One can pick up cheaper ECE/DOT rated helmets for 2-3000 baht in Bangkok.

The Bilmola and Real brands come to mind.

Not saying you have to buy this of that, just a suggestion.

Some people drink, or smoke, or ride with no helmet.

Go your own way, but if you care about safety; I say get a full face.

• Like 1

Isnt it enough for you?laugh.png

Forcing what? It is your head man not mine. And if someone asks recommendation, i recommend full facr helmet. But you have problem about it looks like?

You recommend all you like but its only a recomend based on what? Who said it was a problem of looks?Boy you are something else. making things up up as you go just to better your self proclaimed expertise!!If you were asomeone of knowledge and reputation i would take your recomending but you are just another forum talker.So you recently got a little 600 bike and done some track day so now you are mr free advice know it all? I have read plenty about helmets so what if as i figure 80% of riders dont want to wear a full face there is a choice of all those people regardless of what you think. Thanks indeed for your advice which in fact is only your opinion.Your funny wee laughing face shows you as someone with issues . rather childish no?Choices are made by all types of people and yopu should respect there own choice and get off your grandstand and stop being a dick.I seem to remember you saying that at times you dont wear a fullface are you also that good that you can predict when and why your brain? will be spilled to the aspgalt?Bet you can not ,sorry you cannot have a two way bet on thuis issue.Practice which you preach please >and for your imformation i do wear a fullface helmet each and every time i ride but i dont play mr exspurt and try and make other riders choice on there be-half.its up to the person involved not you or anyone else.

Edited by speedthrills

You recommend all you like but its only a recomend based on what? Who said it was a problem of looks?Boy you are something else. making things up up as you go just to better your self proclaimed expertise!!If you were asomeone of knowledge and reputation i would take your recomending but you are just another forum talker.So you recently got a little 600 bike and done some track day so now you are mr free advice know it all? I have read plenty about helmets so what if as i figure 80% of riders dont want to wear a full face there is a choice of all those people regardless of what you think. Thanks indeed for your advice which in fact is only your opinion.Your funny wee laughing face shows you as someone with issues . rather childish no?Choices are made by all types of people and yopu should respect there own choice and get off your grandstand and stop being a dick.I seem to remember you saying that at times you dont wear a fullface are you also that good that you can predict when and why your brain? will be spilled to the aspgalt?Bet you can not ,sorry you cannot have a two way bet on thuis issue.Practice which you preach please >and for your imformation i do wear a fullface helmet each and every time i ride but i dont play mr exspurt and try and make other riders choice on there be-half.its up to the person involved not you or anyone else.

I also recommend going full face. Would be interesting to see where these percentages are being pulled from, but it seems to me that most people who ride regularly and/or for quite a distance insist on a full face or modular helmet at least.

I sum it up this way...the inconvenience of a full face is greatly outweighed by the possibilities of serious injuries and costs associated by not wearing them. If you're engaged in casual sex...there's a chance you could not pick up HIV/herpes/gonorrhoea/syphillis/whatever...but why chance it when a little piece of inconvenience will protect you?

first of all, welcome to ll2 fanclub with your 4th post.clap2.gif i never say i am an expert or even a very good motorcyclist though.

second, this is a forum, we can recommend what we think is right. we are not pointing a gun to force people, do we? i for one always do a research on things and never trust a forum alone! are you naive a bit?

third, we are of course free to wear what we want and if we would like to spill our brains through the asphalt or not is only our concern - as long as it is away from me still i feel sad for every fallen motorcyclist, even if they were good or bad, right or wrong.

fourth, strange of you while wearing a full face helmet but then talking about freedom or getting emotional with someone recommending a full face helmet.

I also recommend going full face. Would be interesting to see where these percentages are being pulled from, but it seems to me that most people who ride regularly and/or for quite a distance insist on a full face or modular helmet at least.

I sum it up this way...the inconvenience of a full face is greatly outweighed by the possibilities of serious injuries and costs associated by not wearing them. If you're engaged in casual sex...there's a chance you could not pick up HIV/herpes/gonorrhoea/syphillis/whatever...but why chance it when a little piece of inconvenience will protect you?

My figures were as i said initialy just my guess, but i think realistic.What do you think that worldwide average of motorbike riders wearing a fullface would be? You really thionk that most people who ride wear a fullface or modilar helmet?I'm not having you on here but am intrested in the number out of curiousity. In thailand alone i doubt if more than 5% would do so.The rest of the world??? I think my guesstimate of 10-15% would be ballparkish. Anyone have stats ?I am not argueing at all about the eficienncy or any inconvenience which i myself dont find inconvenient but about the fact that OP asked about a comfortable helmet not about his or her choice to wear fullfaceone as ll2 brought to the discussion un necesaryly.

This is reply to #11..ll2 More childish smilies things? Are you a kid or no? Anyway im Not emotional at all ll2 just that the question was simply about a comfortable helmet.More people die of obesity that from not wearing a fullface helmut and honestly boy looking at you photoes on tracks you should be more worried about the former than the later. Just saying like.

Edited by speedthrills

Are you serious?

You're giving ll2 shit for saying a full face helmet is better?

I've had my arguments with ll2 on these forums but I wont argue about this one. Yes people can wear any helmet they want within the law, but there is simply no doubt that a full face helmet is better. Statistics prove this (and also common sense) so why even argue about it?

• Like 2

My figures were as i said initialy just my guess, but i think realistic.What do you think that worldwide average of motorbike riders wearing a fullface would be? You really thionk that most people who ride wear a fullface or modilar helmet?I'm not having you on here but am intrested in the number out of curiousity. In thailand alone i doubt if more than 5% would do so.The rest of the world??? I think my guesstimate of 10-15% would be ballparkish. Anyone have stats ?I am not argueing at all about the eficienncy or any inconvenience which i myself dont find inconvenient but about the fact that OP asked about a comfortable helmet not about his or her choice to wear fullfaceone as ll2 brought to the discussion un necesaryly.

motorcycle touring

My figures were as i said initialy just my guess, but i think realistic.What do you think that worldwide average of motorbike riders wearing a fullface would be? You really thionk that most people who ride wear a fullface or modular helmet?I'm not having you on here but am intrested in the number out of curiousity. In thailand alone i doubt if more than 5% would do so.The rest of the world??? I think my guesstimate of 10-15% would be ballparkish. Anyone have stats ?I am not argueing at all about the eficienncy or any inconvenience which i myself dont find inconvenient but about the fact that OP asked about a comfortable helmet not about his or her choice to wear fullfaceone as ll2 brought to the discussion un necesaryly.

Great, use the 'average Thai rider' as your example- that will give your opinion validity... The average Thai rider is also the main reason Thailand has the second-highest road fatality rate in the world.

If you don't crash, it doesn't matter what helmet you wear from a safety perspective- if you do actually crash, ll was right when he said a full-face is always better. Yes, for the sake of convenience, many choose a less-protective helmet (or no helmet at all)- so what? Following the crowd on the road in LOS on your bike is usually a bad idea.

The OP asked for opinions and didn't give specific requirements other than that the helmet be lightweight, and ll gave his view, which the OP can agree with or disregard. Your personal vendetta adds nothing to this thread.

• Like 2

If you take the time to Google "full face helmet neck injury" you will find there is a substantial amount of evidence linking the two.

I really haven't given it much thought, but I might be tempted to take a quick pain free death vs living out my days with paraplegia.

I prefer an open face helmet mainly due to the heat and humidity that builds up in a FF.

Hmmn ... you seem to have taken my comments as some kind of personal insult.

Unfortunately, although you have cobbled together a number of cherrypicked

quotes, you fail to address the premise that FF helmets may increase the risk of

neck injury as opposed to the risk of a rider wearing an OF (open face) helmet.

Specifically, I am concerned by the leverage exerted by the chinguard of a FF helmet in

a "faceplant" type of impact. As you say "A helmet is protecting your head, not your neck."

In cold and wet weather I would pick up the FF every time, but in terms of safety, for me at least

the jury is still out.

• Like 1

^

Well, it is kind of insulting to tell people to research a point rather than providing links to support it, especially when it seems you haven't bothered to look into it yourself- I expected to be bombarded with links that would agree with what you said, and that wasn't tbe case (beyond people making unsubstantiated claims on various boards and a reference to a single debunked report).

You said 'Google it'- I did, and found what you posted as fact to be incorrect- it wasn't hard to 'cherry-pick' comments when the vast majority of them countered what you said (in fact, that's not 'cherry-picking' at all, but, rather, it's presenting the majority view which is backed up by referenced data). The reports referenced in my links supported that full-face helmets don't contribute to neck injuries (in fact, one report said that we're beneficial to neck protection), so direct comparison to another helmet type is pointless (though if you find data I'd like to see it).

Post something that backs up what you're claiming if you want to be taken seriously- it's not up to me to defend or support your premise- I only have to present evidence that backs up my own point of view- it's up to you (if you can or care to) to support your own view.

Making a choice for comfort is something I might not agree with, but I wouldn't argue with it either.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

^

Well, it is kind of insulting to tell people to research a point rather than providing links to support it, especially when it seems you haven't bothered to look into it yourself- I expected to be bombarded with links that would agree with what you said, and that wasn't tbe case (beyond people making unsubstantiated claims on various boards and a reference to a single debunked report).

You said 'Google it'- I did, and found what you posted as fact to be incorrect- it wasn't hard to 'cherry-pick' comments when the vast majority of them countered what you said (in fact, that's not 'cherry-picking' at all, but, rather, it's presenting the majority view which is backed up by referenced data). The reports referenced in my links supported that full-face helmets don't contribute to neck injuries (in fact, one report said that we're beneficial to neck protection), so direct comparison to another helmet type is pointless (though if you find data I'd like to see it).

Post something that backs up what you're claiming if you want to be taken seriously- it's not up to me to defend or support your premise- I only have to present evidence that backs up my own point of view- it's up to you (if you can or care to) to support your own view.

Making a choice for comfort is something I might not agree with, but I wouldn't argue with it either.

RSD - are you supposed to be out riding the Samoeng loop or something? :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you take the time to Google "full face helmet neck injury" you will find there is a substantial amount of evidence linking the two.

I really haven't given it much thought, but I might be tempted to take a quick pain free death vs living out my days with paraplegia.

I prefer an open face helmet mainly due to the heat and humidity that builds up in a FF.

Hmmn ... you seem to have taken my comments as some kind of personal insult.

Unfortunately, although you have cobbled together a number of cherrypicked

quotes, you fail to address the premise that FF helmets may increase the risk of

neck injury as opposed to the risk of a rider wearing an OF (open face) helmet.

Specifically, I am concerned by the leverage exerted by the chinguard of a FF helmet in

a "faceplant" type of impact. As you say "A helmet is protecting your head, not your neck."

In cold and wet weather I would pick up the FF every time, but in terms of safety, for me at least

the jury is still out.

Debates about which helmet designs are the safest will go on for as long as humans ride bikes.

Personally, I tend to believe the best riders in the world, those riding in MotoGP, Isle of Man etc etc. I'm sure they are doing all they can to win, but not at the risk of injury to life and limb. If they choose to wear a ff, then it's probably because they feel it's the safest (some may argue that advertising dollars play a big part but in no way does that take precedence over the riders' lives)

• Like 2

So, after all that palaver and ridiculous hijacking of the thread, we have had only two recommendations for the OP: Bilmola and Real. Can't say I've seen Bilmola anywhere, while Real is available, but simetimes is hard to track down if you don't know the shops to go to. In Pattaya, I've seen Real (in limited supplies) in only three shops.

By all accounts, the majority of the makes available in the supermarkets and general m/cycle shops are of a poor standard.

[quote name="ThunderDuck"

post="8813840" timestamp="1418785095"

...but in terms of safety, for me at least

the jury is still out.

Plain ignorance imo.

And ignorance might kill as in your case.

Thinking about motogp riders with half or open face helmets just bc they dont break their neck?

C'mon!

Edited by ll2

I could be wrong but...I believe much of the stories associated with neck & back injuries being

greater with a FF Helmet came mainly from rapid acceleration/deceleration + the added weight.

But of course this is mostly erroneous info since these days a good FF can be made as light or

lighter than many open face helmets

Years ago there was also a fear of a helmet sticking/grabbing a bit to tarmac

while sliding if a rider came off. Some thought the Back Hump you see on many leather jackets & suits

would help with the snapping back since it keeps your head from snapping back past a point & also help a bit in a slide

But I think mainly the back hump was a Aero benefit to reduce air buffeting at high speeds

by reducing disturbed air in low pressure area. But care must be taken if putting a rider on a stretcher that is wearing such a hump as

it may cause more damage than good in such an instance

In F1 the driver have to wear a device called a Hans Device basically a seat belt for the head.

Although designed in the 80's I think it only became mandatory after 2002/2003 ( I think)

But a very simple & effective device for race car drivers

But all that aside.......I think most would agree from a common sense standpoint a full face will afford more

protection than any open face & any perceived threats are far outweighed by the increase safety coverage.

image71.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replies even though it may have wandered somewhat as these things do on TV smile.png .

I think the likelihood is now that she will bring her own helmet and she will go shopping in the UK for a new one soon.

Merry Christmas to you all, full face or not !

• Like 1