Comfortable crash helmet in Thailand.

roamer

If anyone is concerned about snapping one's neck you can get a Leatt or other credible neckbrace, but they don't work for sportbike postures since I tried one on a CBR250 or maybe it was the Ninja250.

It literally saved my neck as I fell on a log and then a Dtracker250 fell on me pinning me down.

Without that Leatt, my neck would have snapped sideways.

My friend thought I was dead but I was prepared and lucky.

My neck never even hurt after.

I wear it on long scooter trips now.

So, after all that palaver and ridiculous hijacking of the thread, we have had only two recommendations for the OP: Bilmola and Real. Can't say I've seen Bilmola anywhere, while Real is available, but simetimes is hard to track down if you don't know the shops to go to. In Pattaya, I've seen Real (in limited supplies) in only three shops.

By all accounts, the majority of the makes available in the supermarkets and general m/cycle shops are of a poor standard.

I used to have a real helmet, and I have seen the Bimola's .. they both "look" reasonable - but i have to say, real are priced at 1,500-2,500B and after spending a further 1,000B on a LS2 helmet, i would put the real helmets in the same catagory as the index helmets in big C.

Real helmets are hard polystyrene with a thin layer of foam, they never fit too well in terms of being able to twist in the event of an accident ( i guess it depends on the shape of your head too ). I find LS2 helmets to fit a lot better than any Thai helmet, with both safety and comfort in mind.

A lot of people have an issue with full face = hot .. the 2x LS2's i have both flow air better than any Thai helmet.

Take a look ..

Bimola look just like Nolan (an Italian brand) and I've heard it's basically the same technology helmets but produced locally and without an expensive name tag.

I have Nolan modular helmet and I love it for the fact that it fits my big melon perfectly and very comfortable. Helmet that I have was the only modular helmet I could find in the XXL size that fit me.

My wife has a bimola FF and it looks like a well made helmet.

My free bilmola from bigwing is just a crap. First visor holding nut broken - to fix it, you need to break helmet apart - after that d ring got oxidation and many other problems and used it very very less just when my shoei is wet after some cleaining.

Totally not recommended.

Edited by ll2

Does it worth to invest on a good/ proper helmet? Well you have to answer me after you crashed. If there will be an answer, it will be defiantly a YES

(not that i want anybody to crash! Stay safe!)

Edited by Hili

• 2 weeks later...

ok wanted to post this in the other thread about helmets ,but mods closed that thread due to bickering so will post it here ,this is why you shouldn't ride with half face helmets...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789011-teeth-totally-smashed-in/page-2

realey? i do wear a fullface but because i want to not because you or anyone else thinks that i should.as for this incident,shit ive seen worse injuies than that on a pushbike fall or on the rugby game playing field.

My free bilmola from bigwing is just a crap. First visor holding nut broken - to fix it, you need to break helmet apart - after that d ring got oxidation and many other problems and used it very very less just when my shoei is wet after some cleaining.

Totally not recommended.

I have an opposing view. My Bilmola Advance open-face helmet took the brunt of an asphalt dive on a dirty corner almost two years ago. Broke the paint and no damage to the stout visor but saved me a concussion. I got rid of it and bought a new one. I've worn this model daily and had no problems. Have taken it apart frequently for cleaning. I think it's construction standard is close to that of my previous helmets back home, Arai and Shoie.

For a low cost decent helmet I would say look at REAL branded helmets. Wife has had her open face one now 2.5 years no problems at all!

No one really has any problem with any helmet until they need it the most. Let's hope she never crashes on her face.

• Like 1

Imo it would be great if all people in Thailand would wear a helmet and close the strap. Open face or full face doesn't matter, up to everyones own decision. A helmets purpose is mainly to protect the brain and skull, not to protect the face.

My nearly new Bilmola Eclipse (~2200 Baht) already has problems with the visor seal. With my cheap Real helmets (1400-2300 Baht) i never had a technical problem. But i had to stop using them because i got allergic to the glue that is used to fix the lining.

So, after all that palaver and ridiculous hijacking of the thread, we have had only two recommendations for the OP: Bilmola and Real. Can't say I've seen Bilmola anywhere, while Real is available, but simetimes is hard to track down if you don't know the shops to go to. In Pattaya, I've seen Real (in limited supplies) in only three shops.

By all accounts, the majority of the makes available in the supermarkets and general m/cycle shops are of a poor standard.

You can buy real helmets also online.. though I would only do that if i had owned one previously (for size)

Imo it would be great if all people in Thailand would wear a helmet and close the strap. Open face or full face doesn't matter, up to everyones own decision. A helmets purpose is mainly to protect the brain and skull, not to protect the face.

My nearly new Bilmola Eclipse (~2200 Baht) already has problems with the visor seal. With my cheap Real helmets (1400-2300 Baht) i never had a technical problem. But i had to stop using them because i got allergic to the glue that is used to fix the lining.

Open face or full face doesn't matter, up to everyones own decision. A helmets purpose is mainly to protect the brain and skull, not to protect the face.

^^

So true, and from all accounts an open face does as good a job as a fullface in the job they are designed to do

I wear an open face because that is,as you say indeed my decision.

Edited by garryjohns

For a low cost decent helmet I would say look at REAL branded helmets. Wife has had her open face one now 2.5 years no problems at all!

No one really has any problem with any helmet until they need it the most. Let's hope she never crashes on her face.

Better a helmet that she will wear than one that she won't!

She likes it because it's light, she has good vision both ahead and peripheral. And most important she does wear it every time she rides the bike, even does the strap up!

She's on a Wave 110i not a Ducati.

I totally agree mate. Any helmet is better than nothing. I was merely commenting on your choice of words, saying you had no problems with the helmet, as major problems only occur when in an accident.

I couldn't care a less, if either you or your wife wore a helmet or not, as it's your decision. Obviously for safety, it's better to wear one and a full face is better than an open face, but sometimes even I don't wear a helmet, so I'm not on that bandwagon of wear a helmet at all times.

@wantan:@garryjohns: Your agreed thinking is odd.'A helmets purpose is mainly to protect the brain and skull, not to protect the face.' If this were true then what is the purpose of a full face helmet, if not to also protect the face? Your brain and skull are clearly vital to life but to seemingly disregard your face as unimportant seems backward thinking to me.

^

But then why stop at the face? You can also add that wearing a back protector is important. And as i also need my hands i should wear gloves. And so on...

The topic title is "Comfortable crash helmet...". And for many people comfortable means open face, especially on a scooter or in the city. But if someone wants to ride a big bike with open face helmet imo this is OK. I dont do it but i accept that other people like it. And there is also the heat, the claustrophobia and the fear that in case of an accident people are not able to get the helmet from your head properly. Better let everyone choose the helmet he/she likes, as long as it is a proper bike helmet.

Not wearing a helmet is NOT OK imo. As soon as you go to 7/11 without helmet you cannot expect your wife and children to always wear a helmet. Its easy as this. If you like the idea of people wearing helmets you have to do it yourself. Always!

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

Better a helmet that she will wear than one that she won't!

She likes it because it's light, she has good vision both ahead and peripheral. And most important she does wear it every time she rides the bike, even does the strap up!

She's on a Wave 110i not a Ducati.

I totally agree mate. Any helmet is better than nothing. I was merely commenting on your choice of words, saying you had no problems with the helmet, as major problems only occur when in an accident.

I couldn't care a less, if either you or your wife wore a helmet or not, as it's your decision. Obviously for safety, it's better to wear one and a full face is better than an open face, but sometimes even I don't wear a helmet, so I'm not on that bandwagon of wear a helmet at all times.

@wantan:@garryjohns: Your agreed thinking is odd.'A helmets purpose is mainly to protect the brain and skull, not to protect the face.' If this were true then what is the purpose of a full face helmet, if not to also protect the face? Your brain and skull are clearly vital to life but to seemingly disregard your face as unimportant seems backward thinking to me.

and you dont think that at the times when youre not wearing youre fullface asy ou said here is not even more backwards thinking byyou abit hyercritical arent you

I forget to say about my long ago quest about perscent of fullface helmits in the world.It was asked for on behalfe of a friends friend who is doing a paper for a uni thesis thing for a thought of retofit safety aid to go on fullfaces HUD i think.aanyways a big group of uni peoples sent quests to many sights around the world and got a good baseline fiure now give or take .The perscent using these fullfaces was surprising to be fare.

Edited by speedthrills

Can anybody comment more on the Shark Evoline modular helmet. I'm looking for a new helmet for around Bangkok. From some reviews i've read on Revzilla they say it doesnt flow much air with the chin guard down because it has no rear vents and has a loud whistle noise when moving along.

Can anybody comment more on the Shark Evoline modular helmet. I'm looking for a new helmet for around Bangkok. From some reviews i've read on Revzilla they say it doesnt flow much air with the chin guard down because it has no rear vents and has a loud whistle noise when moving along.

I had a good quality, modular helmet in the past. I stopped using it after a few months because it was just too heavy, thanks to the extra mechanicals involved. I also found it very noisy for the same reason.