German court throws out WWII Oradour-sur-Glane massacre case

webfact

German court throws out WWII Oradour-sur-Glane massacre case
By Marion Lory, CNN

(CNN) -- A German court has thrown out a case against a former SS member accused of participating in the massacre of 642 residents of a French village during World War II.

The 89-year-old had been accused of murdering 25 people and aiding the murder of several hundred others at Oradour-sur-Glane in central France on June 10, 1944.

According to the indictment, troops surrounded the village before rounding up all the residents in the town square and separating the men from the women and children. The men were shot in four barns, which were then burned down. The women and children were imprisoned in a church into which explosives and hand grenades were thrown. Troops then set that building alight, killing any survivors of the initial attack.

There was no doubt that members of the man's Panzer regiment had killed the Oradour-sur-Glane residents and burned down the village, the Cologne Regional Court said in a statement Tuesday.

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/world/europe/germany-france-oradour/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-12-10

The best documentary movie and later DVD ever made is "The World at War" (by BBC 30 years ago) and this 80 hours epic opens with the horrific ruins of Oradour-sur-Glane.

It is hard to believe to such hardship has been created by a nation with immense earlier contributions to Western civilisation through science, literature, music, philosophy, etc...but at least we can say that the Germans have repented and that now "another" and peaceful German nation has replaced the IIIrd Reich.

When are the Japanese finally going to repent in stead of honouring their war criminals at the Yasukini Shrine?

• Like 2

I hope this makes the Thai news (TV and Newspapers). If Thais like Hitler and the Nazi movement as I am lead to believe, then they should enjoy the story. On the other hand, if they were educated to the atrocities maybe they would think Hitler wasn't so cute.

• Like 2

It was by the 2nd Das Panzer division during their march to counter the Normandy landings.

The Germans said they would kill 100 peasants for every German soldier who was killed by the resistance. After this massacre, the resistance fell to virtually zero.

These people were extremely war-hardened and becoming desperate, Plus they were conditioned to think of others as 'lower forms of life' from the master race.

The point is that the world is a truly nasty place when it comes to human beings fighting each other. Nature does not have rules : whichever one is alive at the end is the winner and it is human instinct to win by whatever means possible. I wonder how many critics on the current wars in the world and the actions of the USA have any actual idea of what it is really like.

Das Reich Panzer Division I believe - and moving up from its original position in Southern France.

• Like 1

It was by the 2nd Das Panzer division during their march to counter the Normandy landings.

The Germans said they would kill 100 peasants for every German soldier who was killed by the resistance. After this massacre, the resistance fell to virtually zero.

These people were extremely war-hardened and becoming desperate, Plus they were conditioned to think of others as 'lower forms of life' from the master race.

The point is that the world is a truly nasty place when it comes to human beings fighting each other. Nature does not have rules : whichever one is alive at the end is the winner and it is human instinct to win by whatever means possible. I wonder how many critics on the current wars in the world and the actions of the USA have any actual idea of what it is really like.

Das Reich Panzer Division I believe - and moving up from its original position in Southern France.

That's the one : I read the book by Max Hastings a fair few years ago now.

People need to read as much as they can about what really happens in this world. The sanitised TV news versions mean most have no clue what goes on.

• Like 1

Have been around Oradour-Sur-Glane a couple of times, it is truly an eerie place to visit, never saw any birds there. After the war General De Gaulle decreed that it was to remain a monument to those who were butchered (sorry can't find a more suitable word) Everything remains as it was, very sad for those who perished, I believe there were only two survivors. Many of the dead worked in the factories in Limoges.

I am not familiar with this massacre and the reason behind it, but wonder did Germany ever offer a financial settlement ?

I will read up on this. Sounds like a War Crimes Trial of one man.

There is an excellent book called Oradour - a German parrol was ambushed by resistance fighters, all where killed except one frenchman......the truck contained a large quantity of gold, which was hidden nearby by the survivor who then scarpered. The gold had been spoils of war and was regarded as the units 'pension fund' when the rest of the unit heard of the massacre and missing gold they descended on Oradour, expecting the villagers to know the hidding place, they did not.......

I am not familiar with this massacre and the reason behind it, but wonder did Germany ever offer a financial settlement ?

I will read up on this. Sounds like a War Crimes Trial of one man.

There is an excellent book called Oradour - a German parrol was ambushed by resistance fighters, all where killed except one frenchman......the truck contained a large quantity of gold, which was hidden nearby by the survivor who then scarpered. The gold had been spoils of war and was regarded as the units 'pension fund' when the rest of the unit heard of the massacre and missing gold they descended on Oradour, expecting the villagers to know the hidding place, they did not.......

The resistance captured several days before this case was happend, some german soldiers and tortured them to dead. They put them in a huge winepress in Oradour and squezed them alive to dead, and whole Oradour was looking at this spectacle and applauded.

They was just simple soldiers and Officers, but the resistance tortured them, without any reason. Unfortunately was a former post from me with real evidences, investigated by a french historian and journalist deleted. I have a problem here with some moderators who deleting facts, not my own words, I has linked as off topic. That's like Gestapo methods or should I call it CIA. There was a trial in 1953 against some SS soldiers already, but Charles de Gaulle decided to seal this case for 100 Years, the Question is why.

There have been many more war crimes committed by the Empire, since WWII, which are barely given any coverage and no Nuremberg trials, yet Nazis are still being waved at us on an almost daily basis. No prizes for guessing why.

Why?

Edited by ggold

There have been many more war crimes committed by the Empire, since WWII, which are barely given any coverage and no Nuremberg trials, yet Nazis are still being waved at us on an almost daily basis. No prizes for guessing why.

Which Empire to you mean : the Soviet Empire?

They did it in numerous places. This is just one well known one. Lidice in the Czech Republic is the other I can name without looking them up..

You should provide more facts anyway.against

Why should I? The Germans committed heinous acts against civilians throughout their area of occupation. The reasons why they machine gunned women and children and dynamited their villages don't matter here. The fact that they did it, and even went as far as to erase place names from the map just shows what a spiteful, despicable regime they were. Have you ever heard anyone from the occupied territories nostalgic for the old days of the 3rd reich? Of course not. Because they were evil bastards who deserve to be remembered as such by history.

They did it in numerous places. This is just one well known one. Lidice in the Czech Republic is the other I can name without looking them up..

Why should I? The Germans committed heinous acts against civilians throughout their area of occupation. The reasons why they machine gunned women and children and dynamited their villages don't matter here. The fact that they did it, and even went as far as to erase place names from the map just shows what a spiteful, despicable regime they were. Have you ever heard anyone from the occupied territories nostalgic for the old days of the 3rd reich? Of course not. Because they were evil bastards who deserve to be remembered as such by history.

I guess you did'nt read one the links I provided or my comments either.

Lidice war total wrong, but for example in Oradour sur Glane not 1 child or woman was executed by germans the church was set on fire by a man from the resistance who was already inside the church he escaped, to blame the germans.

This is not a single case like for example also the Masscre in Usti nad Labem.

I just wondering are you not able to reading more as headlines or are you brainwashed already or just ignorant, use your brain.

Which Empire to you mean : the Soviet Empire?

Think he means the Empire in the Star Wars films.

I guess you did'nt read one the links I provided or my comments either.

Lidice war total wrong, but for example in Oradour sur Glane not 1 child or woman was executed by germans the church was set on fire by a man from the resistance who was already inside the church he escaped, to blame the germans.

This is not a single case like for example also the Masscre in Usti nad Labem.

I just wondering are you not able to reading more as headlines or are you brainwashed already or just ignorant, use your brain.

There's no room in my life for Nazi apologist revisionist history.

• Like 1