> +5V Voltage : 5.70 V

> +12V Voltage : 12.46 V

> Processor Fan : 4821 rpm

> Processor Temperature : 119.3 ?F

> Mainboard Temperature : 116.6 ?F

> Power/Aux Temperature : 116.6 ?F

>

> Hard Disk Temperature #1 : 113 ?F

These are the figures for my desktop after being switched on since 0700 hrs.

The system is brand new but the fan noise is loud and I worry this is not normal.

On power up the Hard disk starts at 96ุ degrees. I am assured by the guy who put it together for me that its ok but would like a second opinion here if someone can oblige.

Thanks

when I say loud its probably equivalent to an aircon noise like "SSSSSSHHHH" in a library.

> CPU Core : 1.23 V

> +3.3V Voltage : 3.46 V

> +5V Voltage : 5.70 V

> +12V Voltage : 12.46 V

> Processor Fan : 4821 rpm

> Processor Temperature : 119.3 ?F

> Mainboard Temperature : 116.6 ?F

> Power/Aux Temperature : 116.6 ?F

>

> Hard Disk Temperature #1 : 113 ?F

One red flag is that +5V voltage is way too high and surprised the system is running at all. Are you sure that is correct?

The temperatures are also a little on the high side but without knowing the ambient room temperature you are running it in can't comment more. Also you should have at least two case fans, one in front for intake an one in back for exhaust.

Also, would be usefull as to what processor (Pentium 4, AMD 64, etc) and speed you are using and also the mainboard brand and model.

Edited by tywais

Are they in an AC controlled room or in the heat of the day, the newer systems run the fan faster depending on temp, most will slow the cpu down to protect it if it gets too hot.

BTX units are a lot better option to use in places where noise is an issue.

You'll get a lot of blank expressions from the shops in Thailand if you mention "BTX" here. Very few mainboards, and even fewer cases that support it.

For your harddisks, if you have active cooling on them (a case fan blowing directly in their direction), then you're fine. Fan noise depends on the fan and the way you set it up... some fans are controlled by the motherboard which monitors the CPU temp and speeds up accordingly.

Thanks for getting back...I'm a wee bit more worried now especially the comment re voltage ( 5V )

I have a voltmeter but don't really know what it tells me :o

Its in my house which is your average ambient temp.

Below is attached a summary of my system.

The temp readings come from PCWizard.

ThxASUS_P5SD2.doc

Thanks for getting back...I'm a wee bit more worried now especially the comment re voltage ( 5V )

The temperature is not in a dangerous region yet, but you should watch it when the computer is running an application that puts the CPU at 100% for a few minutes and see where the temperature goes. Pentium 4 processors can operate up to 75º C (167º F) or slightly less, depending on the model before damage may occur but cooler you can keep it the better for stability.

Also your 3.3V being a little high can cause addtional temperature increase on the MB chipset. Might take the side cover off and blow a fan onto the mainboard and see if the temperatures drop significantly. If they do then you need to increase your internal cooling with additional fans or check the layout of the boards and cables to be sure they do not interfere with the air flow.

My system with an AMD X2 3800+ (Dual processor) is running at CPU-110 degrees, and MB- 100 degrees with my room temperature at 83 degrees. My CPU fan is at 1700rpm (large sink) and passive (heat pipe) for the mainboard chip set. The fact that the difference between your MB temperature and CPU is quite small suggests an air flow problem. Your chipset I assume is passive cooled (heat sink only) and no fan on it?

Don't need to get too worried as long as the system is stable and no crashes then your numbers are within reason. Here's an article on case cooling: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Edited by tywais

The temperature is not in a dangerous region yet, but you should watch it when the computer is running an application that puts the CPU at 100% for a few minutes and see where the temperature goes. Pentium 4 processors can operate up to 75º C (167º F) or slightly less, depending on the model before damage may occur but cooler you can keep it the better for stability.

Also your 3.3V being a little high can cause addtional temperature increase on the MB chipset. Might take the side cover off and blow a fan onto the mainboard and see if the temperatures drop significantly. If they do then you need to increase your internal cooling with additional fans or check the layout of the boards and cables to be sure they do not interfere with the air flow.

My system with an AMD X2 3800+ (Dual processor) is running at CPU-110 degrees, and MB- 100 degrees with my room temperature at 83 degrees. My CPU fan is at 1700rpm (large sink) and passive (heat pipe) for the mainboard chip set. The fact that the difference between your MB temperature and CPU is quite small suggests an air flow problem. Your chipset I assume is passive cooled (heat sink only) and no fan on it?

Don't need to get too worried as long as the system is stable and no crashes then your numbers are within reason. Here's an article on case cooling: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

HI ALL

Although I am by no means a cumputer xpert,I see in the UK WATER COOLED systems for computers.They are also silent and I wonder if they are available in LOS ?? I will be in a position whereby I will need a computer for my home in Surin in about 6 to 8 months and this subject has had me wondering for a while> ANY IDEAS ???? :o

HI ALL

Although I am by no means a cumputer xpert,I see in the UK WATER COOLED systems for computers.They are also silent and I wonder if they are available in LOS ?? I will be in a position whereby I will need a computer for my home in Surin in about 6 to 8 months and this subject has had me wondering for a while> ANY IDEAS ???? :o

Water cooling isn't normally necessary and is usually only for heavily overclocked gaming rigs where the CPU may be pushed at nearly 100% for long periods. However there are some overclocking sites in Thailand and this is one: http://www.jedicool.com/

Please can you tell me where you can find all the temps and voltages etc ?

Is it somewhere in windows or in the bios at setup.

Thanx

Depending on your board and its age, some in the bios, some have an agent you can load to view them and monitor them, check the makers web site for more info on your board or post the board model and someone here can tell you how and if it can.

the model is stamped on the board, it sometimes splashes up when it boots and sometimes in the bios

Thanx

As bazmlb said, should find it in the bios, probably under "Power"menu settings. However this will only show your idle temperatures and you should use the agent software that came with the mainboard to actively monitor the temperature when the CPU is running applications. There is one tool that is free and shows everything about your system that you can download. EVEREST Home Edition

Edited by tywais

Thanx

As bazmlb said, should find it in the bios, probably under "Power"menu settings. However this will only show your idle temperatures and you should use the agent software that came with the mainboard to actively monitor the temperature when the CPU is running applications. There is one tool that is free and shows everything about your system that you can download. EVEREST Home Edition

SiSandra will tell you all you ever wanted to know and much more.

It is a brilliant utility.

SiSandra will tell you all you ever wanted to know and much more.

It is a brilliant utility.

Good to have both actually. Odd thing with my system is that SiSandra will not show the temperatures and voltages of the system but EVEREST does. Example of results from Everest on my office computer (Air conditioned room at ~24 degrees ambient):

cpu.jpg

I've just run Everest and found the temps are between 47 - 50 Centigrade,, I've got to rip this thing apart and have a look see.

Thanks for the directions.............I'll probably be back later begging for more help.. :o

Getting cooling right in a rig is somewhat of an art form. Another thing you can do is to try and put a thermometer in the case with the covers on (if you can) and read the case ambient temperature. Should be no higher then 10 degrees more then the outside temperature.

SiSandra has applications in it to exercise the CPU, that is load it up to 100%. Then watch and see where your maximum temperatures are. This will let you know that you can safely operate any program or game without having to worry about temperature running away from you (assuming consistant ambient temperatures).

One last thing is that there have been cases where the BIOS just misreads the temperature and a BIOS update fixes it. Just depends on the brand and model of the mainboard. There are forums out there for nearly any mainboard manufacturer and are usually quite useful to get specific details of your board/system.

Anyway, we're all here to help if we can.

Edited by tywais