Marine Aquarium Supplier On Samui

Heading from Lamai first turn past Toyota dealarship ( Raja ferry), turn left towards LipaNoi,big shop there sells all exotic fish & aquarium products.

Heading from Lamai first turn past Toyota dealarship ( Raja ferry), turn left towards LipaNoi,big shop there sells all exotic fish & aquarium products.

ifd you dont have prior aquaruim experience, go freshwater. it is alot less expensive and easier. either that or have somone else design and maintain the tank

ifd you dont have prior aquaruim experience, go freshwater. it is alot less expensive and easier. either that or have somone else design and maintain the tank

Thanks for advice. I do have a fair amount of marine experience and succesfully kept a Pterois Voilitans Scorpionfish (Cyril) and some Butterfly fish for many years in UK. Not easy though!

Also thanks to the other posts for the directions.

Something you might want to specifically check into is the temperature for the aquarium, Marines generally do better at a slightly lower temperature than freshwater fish, and you'll be surprised how hot the water can get in a fish tank out here.

During this years hot season in Bangkok my aquarium water temperature went up to 36 degrees (should've been around 26-27) and it affected the fish, and marine fish are a lot less tolerant. I have a friend in the UK who had an 8' X 3' X 3' reef tank and even with the UK weather in the summer he'd have nightmares keeping the temperature stable. The majority of the marine fish shops in JJ market are air conditioned also. I imagine it can be quite a problem really.

Keeping the tank in a shaded area with no direct sunlight and an open top will probably not be enough and you may have to invest in a water chiller for the aquarium (something that was quite expensive in the UK but may not be here).

Definately check into it anyway and good luck with your aquarium (I've always prefered freshwater myself). :o

Something you might want to specifically check into is the temperature for the aquarium, Marines generally do better at a slightly lower temperature than freshwater fish, and you'll be surprised how hot the water can get in a fish tank out here.

During this years hot season in Bangkok my aquarium water temperature went up to 36 degrees (should've been around 26-27) and it affected the fish, and marine fish are a lot less tolerant. I have a friend in the UK who had an 8' X 3' X 3' reef tank and even with the UK weather in the summer he'd have nightmares keeping the temperature stable. The majority of the marine fish shops in JJ market are air conditioned also. I imagine it can be quite a problem really.

Keeping the tank in a shaded area with no direct sunlight and an open top will probably not be enough and you may have to invest in a water chiller for the aquarium (something that was quite expensive in the UK but may not be here).

Definately check into it anyway and good luck with your aquarium (I've always prefered freshwater myself). :o

Thanks, I had not considered high water temps as being a problem. I will now take this into account for the tank location, equipment and fish choice.

Thanks, I had not considered high water temps as being a problem. I will now take this into account for the tank location, equipment and fish choice.

one of the main issues with marine tanks and heat is the high light wattage needed to maintain a proper reef and the amount of heat the lights generate on top of the ambient temperature.

210 watts on a 60 (42 inch long) gal get pretty warm, i have 2 fans on the lights while they are on

while i have never hit 36 with my tank, i have seen 32.

if yer curious here is the tank

post-26132-1155566156_thumb.jpg

Well any excuse to post my own aquarium pics. :o

DSC04586.jpg

DSC04583.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

thanks

yours aint so bad either. seeing the metal halide (is it?) above it makes me understand the the high temps you hit

love the jj special steel stand, mine is identical. glad to see you got rid of the ridiculous hood with radically underpowered lighting systems. i simply couldnt get enough lights over the tank with the hoos in place. besides i prefer the lower profile.

anyways, back on topic, anyone....?

ps: roo, no one has ever accused me of patience before

Well any excuse to post my own aquarium pics. :o

DSC04586.jpg

DSC04583.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

thanks

yours aint so bad either. seeing the metal halide (is it?) above it makes me understand the the high temps you hit

love the jj special steel stand, mine is identical. glad to see you got rid of the ridiculous hood with radically underpowered lighting systems. i simply couldnt get enough lights over the tank with the hoos in place. besides i prefer the lower profile.

anyways, back on topic, anyone....?

ps: roo, no one has ever accused me of patience before

Thanks for all the information. Think maybe I should stick with freshwater!The pictures are great! Are the tanks made to measure?