Thai film: Hitler ends up on cutting room floor

webfact

Hitler ends up on cutting room floor
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A controversial scene in a short film produced by the Prime Minister's Office, featuring an image of Nazi Germany's former dictator Adolf Hitler, has been removed following an uproar.

PM's Office Minister Panadda Diskul said yesterday the controversial scene had been edited out even before it was reported by the media earlier this week. He said Hitler was portrayed negatively in the short film "Learning about Power of the People", which is part of a series called "Thai Niyom" (Pro-Thai) produced by the agency and directed by well-known film directors.

"In the film, Hitler is not portrayed positively or admiringly," he said.

The scene featured a proud boy completing a painting of Hitler and the Nazi swastika emblem. A friend of the artist is applauding him.

Panadda said the film's intended message was that dictatorship and dishonesty would only bring national shame.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Hitler-ends-up-on-cutting-room-floor-30249560.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-11

• Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Nice one , I didn't want my kids watching that at school. Although the "How to be a responsible and obedient citizen in 12 steps" video is still going to be shown I take it

Yes because all students have been "ORDERED" by he who should be obeyed to learn it verbatim.

It appears to me that the curriculum does not involve any kind of political World History, Rise of Fascists in Europe , Russian revolution, Great depression. When kids learn about this stuff it contributes to shaping their adult political beliefs. If this doesn't happen then when they vote they are just going by what they read in the Newspapers, they have no basic knowledge of democracy and its history. An electorate of sheep seems to be the aim

Have wee seen the last of Thai people using Hitler image for all sorts of reasons?

have they learned anything out of this shameful episode?

No and No..., I don't think so, some ignorant &lt;deleted&gt; will pop up with another version of him

soon enough one

controversial scene had been edited out even before it was reported by the media earlier this week.

Rubbish it was withdrawn after. Back peddling with lies. Why not just say sorry, we were wrong and have fixed the problem?

Look at the massive loss of face if having to admit that something wrong wasn't spotted and stopped before it was made public and caused a reaction.

Of course the scene was edited out before the media were on it giggle.gif couldn't have happened any other way.

At least the problem is resolved. I don't really see that persuing the matter further would be helpful. Allow them to retreat with a modicum of dignity, you know how things work here.
If this Military Junta and the P.M had one ounce of diplomacy between them then they would be making a public apology to Israel and the Ambassador who made it publically known they were hurt and offended by Thailand.

Won't happen because this bunch are soldiers and have absolutely no idea how to be diplomatic, that is why the world shuns them and laughs their guts out every time the Junta says something. The are way out of their league and are like plumbers trying to perform a triple heart bi pass, they have no clue what so ever.

controversial scene had been edited out even before it was reported by the media earlier this week.

Rubbish it was withdrawn after. Back peddling with lies. Why not just say sorry, we were wrong and have fixed the problem?

Look at the massive loss of face if having to admit that something wrong wasn't spotted and stopped before it was made public and caused a reaction.

Of course the scene was edited out before the media were on it giggle.gif couldn't have happened any other way.

At least the problem is resolved. I don't really see that persuing the matter further would be helpful. Allow them to retreat with a modicum of dignity, you know how things work here.

I know what you mean about a dignified retreat and agree when it's justified but can't go along when a mistake is made, no one says ' sorry about that ' and we all move on.

However in this instance, and LoS in general, it's usual to trot out a pathetic answer which isn't believable.

Do i get brownie points for not using the ' L ' word ?

How can they say sorry or wrong when there are no such words in the Thai language?

Odd.

Even I was told how to say 'sorry' in Thai.

• Like 1

If this Military Junta and the P.M had one ounce of diplomacy between them then they would be making a public apology to Israel and the Ambassador who made it publically known they were hurt and offended by Thailand.

For all we know, quiet words may have been exchanged between diplomats. As for a public apology, you know as well as I do they would rather just turf us all out and seal their borders, so stubborn are the elite.

I just think in this instance, the card should be slid back in the deck for another day when it may be more useful.

"In the film, Hitler is not portrayed positively or admiringly," he said

Which he should be of course??? Right??

It is because all the people who don't speak Thai thought he was. Take a look at the posts in this thread. Most of the posters think Hitler was portrayed in a positive manner. He wasn't and anyone who speaks Thai and watched the video knows that but to no avail.

This is the endless loop you were on in the other thread and why you were endlessly wrong: we know damn well what the author claimed after the fact but the point was we don't think his audience would have got it, even if what he claimed was true.

Furthermore, the idea that the artist is the sole authority of the meaning of an artwork went out in the 1960s after Roland Barthes Death Of The Author. The meaning of an artwork is as much defined by its audience once the artist has made it public.

Or in layman's terms: it really doesn't matter what he says, thinks or claims, what matters is how it was perceived by others.

• Like 1

It was in the cinema on Saturday, reported Tuesday (I think) so it could well have been taken out before. Not saying I believe it, just that it's possible!

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

That last full sentence above is comedy gold.

Yes. It would appear irony is completely lost on them.

Hahaha yes. Another Junta statement that had the irony meter on my PC flashing red