Does anyone else live cheaply in Thailand?

I sometimes see it as a game, to play by the local rules, the taxi boats in BKK are an example, and I still am ammused by my 3 baht train ride from Bang su station to Don Muang... the night market takeaway food is my fav. 20 baht 3 egg ommelets etc,... enjoy the game.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I sometimes see it as a game, to play by the local rules, the taxi boats in BKK are an example, and I still am ammused by my 3 baht train ride from Bang su station to Don Muang... the night market takeaway food is my fav. 20 baht 3 egg ommelets etc,... enjoy the game.

I don't understand what you mean about playing by local rules and thai taxi boats?

Do you know how to get a cheap edible breakfast type of food here?

Well, when you go back you can start living off of the $1 menu at McDonald's.

I do this already. But in America you can prepare your own foods, so I am not forced to eat out as much as I am in Thailand because I'm always on the move here with no kitchen.

Yeah for cheapness and quality snacks and meals thailand beats the phillipines By a long shot....

That horrible chicken intestines with sand and crap still in it served by a lady with black fingernails from all the dirt stuck in em in angeles haunts me forever.

Kudos to thailand on cheap good street food .

How do they keep their hands clean? Where do they use the bathroom?

• Like 1

OP I know what you mean about "alternatives" ... The economists refer to it as OPPOUTUNITY COST.

I do it even more so in Vietnam. I drink those large Saigon green 10k dong. About 50cents aud. Then everytime I go to buy something for about $1..... Find myself tripping over the fact that means two big Saigon.

Bit same here.

OP I know what you mean about "alternatives" ... The economists refer to it as OPPOUTUNITY COST.

I do it even more so in Vietnam. I drink those large Saigon green 10k dong. About 50cents aud. Then everytime I go to buy something for about $1..... Find myself tripping over the fact that means two big Saigon.

Bit same here.

So saigon green is 1100 percent cheaper that a vb in an aussie bottle shop

There seem to be a very large number of Westerners living as cheaply as possible in Thailand judging by the various topics on Thai Visa. I expect this thread will have 400 replies by the end of the week. What do you spend all that time on the bus doing?

What I noticed is that I see very few white people taking the bus in Bangkok. I do see them on occasion but very rarely. I'm not sure why this is the case as you can easily use Google maps for mapping where the buses go.

I think part of the problem is nobody knows how much to pay but until you learn that I just held my hand out with change and let her pick the right amount.

Here are the problem with the busses. First, I seem to always have to wait a long time for the number bus I need. Sometimes I wonder if I am in the right spot. Waited over 20 minutes yesterday for the 35 only to walk away thinking it was the wrong place only for it to pass me a block down the street.

The other big issue is it does waste more time than the BTS,MTR, It has to deal with traffic and also you waiting for the bus. However, without traffic they move quite fast as they don't waste much time at the stops.

The other thing I love about the busses is how crazy they are. They don't come to a full stop many times when getting off and always start moving before you are fully on. That is just awesome as long as you're not old I guess. Many times also the busses can be quite filled, but when they are not they are very spacious and nice airflow through them.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't understand what you mean about playing by local rules and thai taxi boats?

Do you know how to get a cheap edible breakfast type of food here?

Well, when you go back you can start living off of the $1 menu at McDonald's.

I do this already. But in America you can prepare your own foods, so I am not forced to eat out as much as I am in Thailand because I'm always on the move here with no kitchen.

I meant that budget minded locals may opt for a water taxi in a BKK canal for a cheaper ride than taking a metered car taxi ... and for breakfast here in Chiang Mai I often go to a fresh market to buy takeaway food for the day, great selection and quality for cheaps.

Looks like Canarysun has some real competition in being The Cheapest of The Charlie's.

LOL.

I don't know why I'm so cheap, I think it comes down to the fact that when you don't have a job or money coming in you have to make what you have last. Even though I would be a multimillionaire in Baht, It is still a fixed income.

The guys who have pensions and fixed incomes are in a much better position to spend, jeez, they don't have to make say 5 million baht last a lifetime. If you're on some kind of pension/retirement then you really wouldn't understand about having to make your money last.

I'm as cheap as they come, but not so cheap with everything. I have a note 3 cell phone for example. I usually try to buy high quality products, but that is being frugal because high quality products will outlast a lot of cheap quality products so you save in the long run.

Looks like Canarysun has some real competition in being The Cheapest of The Charlie's.

LOL.

I don't know why I'm so cheap, I think it comes down to the fact that when you don't have a job or money coming in you have to make what you have last. Even though I would be a multimillionaire in Baht, It is still a fixed income.

The guys who have pensions and fixed incomes are in a much better position to spend, jeez, they don't have to make say 5 million baht last a lifetime. If you're on some kind of pension/retirement then you really wouldn't understand about having to make your money last.

I'm as cheap as they come, but not so cheap with everything. I have a note 3 cell phone for example. I usually try to buy high quality products, but that is being frugal because high quality products will outlast a lot of cheap quality products so you save in the long run.

I have 100000 baht to last a life time and 28 years old .

I think op can splurge on the medium sized slurpees .

• Like 2

LOL.

I have 100000 baht to last a life time and 28 years old .

I think op can splurge on the medium sized slurpees .

Are you for real? 100,000 baht, you'll eventually have to go home.

I think I live on around $300 a month here, which includes housing. I would say you need at least $100 a month for food/expenses.

This can all be brought down hugely if you rent long term and possibly prepare your own food.

• Like 2

What I noticed is that I see very few white people taking the bus in Bangkok. I do see them on occasion but very rarely. I'm not sure why this is the case as you can easily use Google maps for mapping where the buses go.

I think part of the problem is nobody knows how much to pay but until you learn that I just held my hand out with change and let her pick the right amount.

Here are the problem with the busses. First, I seem to always have to wait a long time for the number bus I need. Sometimes I wonder if I am in the right spot. Waited over 20 minutes yesterday for the 35 only to walk away thinking it was the wrong place only for it to pass me a block down the street.

The other big issue is it does waste more time than the BTS,MTR, It has to deal with traffic and also you waiting for the bus. However, without traffic they move quite fast as they don't waste much time at the stops.

The other thing I love about the busses is how crazy they are. They don't come to a full stop many times when getting off and always start moving before you are fully on. That is just awesome as long as you're not old I guess. Many times also the busses can be quite filled, but when they are not they are very spacious and nice airflow through them.

You basically explained why not many westerners take the bus

Despite having some routes listed on google maps, it is still very confusing. Buses are late, in some streets they only go one direction so you wait in the wrong spot, you might have to switch buses and wait again. You need time, google maps on your phone, and preferably the ability to speak a little Thai. It's a pain in the ass.

Once you learn a few routes they can be very convenient though, and they are super cheap, so I do use them sometimes. But there is a big initial barrier that many people can't get past.

• Like 2

God not another cheap charlie thread .

Surprised you guys waste your valuable money on the electric to power your pc to post continiuosly on this subject.

Give it a rest for at least a month or so

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Am I correct in assuming you think your post is remotely clever. Maybe even an inference you wouldn't stoop this low. Brilliant go post somewhere to actually contribute.

• Like 2