Bangkok: Public van driver fined for speeding, taunting passengers

webfact

Public Van Driver Fined For Speeding, Taunting Passengers
By Khaosod English

14182759701418276317l.jpg
A screenshot of a video in which public van driver Weera Jaruekklang is seen speeding and taunting passengers.

BANGKOK — The Department of Land Transport has fined a public van driver for speeding and taunting a passenger who raised concerns about his driving.

The driver, Weera Jaruekklang, has been fined for 5,000 baht and suspended from driving for seven days, said the Department of Land Transport director, Teerapong Rordprasert.

Last week a passenger filmed Weera driving the Bangkok to Chonburi route at 140 kilometres per hour. The legal limit on that road is 120 km / hour.

When the passenger raised concerns that he might kill or injure others with his reckless driving, Weera shot back, "Has anyone died yet?" and refused to slow down.

The video (above) was later posted and widely shared on social media, with many Thais commenting that Weera's behaviour is what contributes to Thailand’s high rate of traffic accidents and fatalities.

According to data compiled by the World Health Organisation (WHO), Thailand has the 7th highest number of traffic deaths and injuries in the world.

Teerapong said yesterday that Weera also tampered with a device in his vehicle, installed by the Department of Land Transport, that monitors the speed of public vans.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1418275970

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-12-11

5,000 baht + 7 days suspended license clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif they should've canceled his drivers license, he is a danger to all motorists and passengers!

That's the problem right there eh, no real deterrent for these muppets, not only for driving badly but for every law that's broken in this country, its one of the reasons its in such a state.

• Like 2

Society and enforcement agencies are obligated to protect the general public from individuals with this kind of mindset ( he may be seen as retarded) If 7 days therapy (loss of sleep, water boarding, etc) would be a cure ok, if not there are ways as it not if but when this individual will kill/maim some innocent and the result will be called a accident instead of this misfit scum.

• Like 1

Traffic laws here still very kind, speed limit 80 Km/hr

Ifexceed 90 fine 100 Baht , 100Km/hr fine 200 Baht

That's why I am living here..

Public transport in South-East-Asia: take your seat, worship to whatever God you belive, and try to find some sleep. Maybe you will wake up at your destination, but only "maybe"...

Spent a 2 weeks holiday in Indonesia on motorbike: I tell you: Thai driving shows a tremendous level of discipline...

• Like 1

This topic is proof that Thai drivers are the best and most skillful in the world if it's really true Thailand has the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world yet only the 7th highest number of traffic deaths and injuries.

See, I understand Thainess.

• Like 1

If yo think his driving was bad you should have been in the minivan that I just took from Hat Yai to Penang. Our driver hit sustained speeds of 160 kmh on the Malaysian north south expressway. I could clearly see the speedometer form my seat and I finally tapped him on the shoulder and told him to slow down. He slowed down to 140 KMH. Still way to fast.

Fine and punishment might be minimal, but at least this brainless chump has lost money, income and, most importantly, face. 'I love my car more than my wife' lol, rest my case. That'll teach you to be a smart arse, Mr douche. Perhaps you'll think (haha) twice in being clever dick the next time someone films you at it. On the other hand, it might give him the impetus to double his speed to make up for lost income, Thainess style.

What a joke, he should have been locked up and had the key thrown away

Or publicly crucified and burn with hot irons then hung, drawn and quartered. Then we could save 'locking up and throwing the keys away' for jay walkers. BTW is it compulsory to get on these buses or do tourists have a choice?

• Like 2

OH YEH......that's gonna do it.

5000baht fine and 7 day suspended license.

Like he will obey, and not continue to drive during the 7 day's?

What a joke.

He should be in prison for a year, maybe that would change his attitude,

but i doubt it!

Edited by Alan653