Man falls to death from balcony in Chinatown

webfact

Man falls to death from balcony in Chinatown
By Coconuts Bangkok

fall_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Balconies continue to prove perilous places as the body of a 56-year-old man was discovered fallen from another to his death this morning in Chinatown.

The 56-year-old man’s body was found in a parking lot of the Thai Sathit building in the Sampanthawong district just after 6am, according to authorities, who withheld the name of the deceased.

Investigators said they found no sign of a struggle and believe he simply fell from his room on the building’s eighth floor

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/11/man-falls-death-balcony-chinatown

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-11

If he was indeed a gem trader from India, I presume the police would have found some serious money or expensive gems in his room. But then... ?

Why would you assume that? Serious gem traders would more than likely keep their money and gems in a secure place.

I have always wondered if condos allow the tenants to improve the railings...add height or be enlarged to cover the entire balcony opening.

I don't think I would even feel comfortable getting in an elevator in a building with balconies.

I know most will let you put up a wire mesh screen. It's for young kids that like to climb.

I simply refuse to believe that everyone of these hotel and condo balcony deaths of foreigners are either an accident or suicide...are we going to continue to be that gullible for the Thai authorities?

Someone needs to investigate the investigators...

• Like 1

...why state the obvious over and over again.....

...case closed....nobody can be bothered to even investigate....

...one would think that a death warrants an investigation......

...if there are foreigners involved.....foreigners with money....even more so....

..never mind what someone says or suggests....

...a death warrants a thorough investigation....otherwise....people....just....might...get...away....with.....murder.......

***(......I have yet to see a followup on the Tata Truck Regional Director's (?) balcony mishap...where his wife was too afraid to speak (?)....)

....mindboggling.....

There has to be a business opportunity in raising the height of the top rail of balconies in Thailand. A marketing of

safety balconies on new buildings with the top rail at 4.5-5 feet. So many are going over the side either drunk, suicide

or pushed. Either way a higher top railing would make all three more difficult. Of course the Government could raise

the buildings railing height but that would mean admitting the old standard was too low.

• Like 1

In the west,in cases like this and uncertain suicides. The coroner usually writes. Case unsolved,or death with suspious circumstances,or direct cause of death uncertain. Families then can accept, yes there are questions,but also answering those questions would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Families then might feel it is still open for investigation if new evidence comes. Not just a stamp. This is over we will not discuss it. Families might feel cheated

6 people fell from balconies in the USA in 2013 Population 300 million

22 people so far this year fell from balconies in Thailand Population 67 million

And far more balconies in the USA then in Thailand. So why the discrepancies.

Where do you get your 6 people figure from? According to the NIH website, there were 86,500 balcony fall-related injuries treated in US hospital EDs from 1990 through 2006, an average of 5406 per year.

remember the case of the girl (I think from Laos) that was allegedly forced over the balcony by a Thai man and woman several months back? Even when witnesses tell of a fight breaking out and suspicion that there may have been a murder committed, the old stand by is that it was just an accident or a suicide.

Why put a law in place to raise the height of these railings? That would make it too hard to get a heavy farang over the top. May have to resort to fake hangings again.

The balconies are too low for anybody over 165cm. There doesn't seem to be any interest in requiring hotels to upgrade their balconies to world standards.

Where I grew up a kid drown in a pond. I think it took a month to require 4 foot high fences around all the ponds in the city . A bit excessive I thought but if you build a hotel, where mainly taller foreigners stay, I don't think it's too outrageous that they should be required to have balcony railings taller than the bottom of my nut-sack.

So what do you think happened? He invited somebody into his room, they convinced him to empty all his valuables out of his pockets and leave them on the table, then invited him out on the balcony and then he killed him?

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.

I rented a house, it had a mid-thigh height balcony. I walked towards the edge and my one foot slipped on a wet leaf. If I'd been one step closer I'd have fallen over. And I have a lot of experience standing on balconies.

I simply refuse to believe that everyone of these hotel and condo balcony deaths of foreigners are either an accident or suicide...are we going to continue to be that gullible for the Thai authorities?

Someone needs to investigate the investigators...