Looking to buy a watch: King Power vs. Downtown malls

mike111

Mates,

I'm looking to purchase a watch for my personal use on my next visit, something decent but not too flashy.

How are the King Power DF prices compared to Central festival or other malls downtown?

Any suggestions for specific shops which would offer good deals on Swiss-made watches?

Cheers

i bought a few back in the 80's down in patts.off the chinaman at the bottom of soi post office,he used to display them in a jug of water,a bit dearer than the usual but i had them for over 15yrs.

but the best one that i still have and is perfect i bought at gatwick airport in [next],stainless steel,has never lost a minute.

all stainless steel z-next model m94687 bl.26quid.

bought a longines 24crt.gold plated had it 2yrs 260QUID.nackered it got condinsation inside.

so would i buy from king power or a mall here in thailand NO.

• Like 1

There seems to be a 'watch fair' on regularly at the different malls. Central have one once or twice a year, as do Paragon (maybe the whole The Mall group?). There is also a similar event at Central World from time to time.

I have found that the prices at these events (usually 30% off or more) beat King Power and their ridiculous 'tax free' prices every time. They also have a much wider range, whereas KP are strictly 'luxury' plus Tag Heuer. I used to work next to the downtown KP place soon after it opened, and went in there several times to check out their prices on many items, and found them to be ... high. I avoid them, and stick to the shopping places in town.

You should know that it was reported on this website a while back that in the airport King Power duty free store innocent travelers were being framed for stealing to extort money from them. Wouldn't go near that place personally.

On the other hand, instead of going downtown, on your way in from Swampy you can go to Seacon Square on Srinakarin Road. This is where locals shop on this side of town and where you will definitely find the best prices on authentic brands.

If price is secondary and you are looking for the widest selection and all the premium brands, then on the way in from Swampy on Bangna Trad Road at Km 8, go to the Mega Bangna Mall.

Taxis will standby while you shop with the meter running, but be sure to snap a photo of the driver, car, and plate if you leave luggage, or at least get his mobile number and authenticate it from your own mobile. Try Seacon first is the best advice..

The video I saw the people looked like they were stealing, but off topic aren't we?

Mostly the tax savings are wiped out by higher pricing in airport shops.

• Like 2

Im seeing discounts on watches everywhere since the smartwatches are being released. Casio have and old style stop watch but bluetooth so you can change music on your smartphone. Theres heaps of bargains in the malls i bought one yesterday about 30% off in a small stall at major ekkamai not an expensive one mind you. I have been looking at a few at central rama9, decent deals going there also. I wouldnt worry about duty free, your gonna get a better deal elsewhere

What brand are you looking for? If its a mid price watch anything ranging from couple thousand to 150,000 baht I would suggest just buying it at the mall when they have the watch fair. Usually those prices are still higher than overseas by 10-20%. Watches under the Swatch group has pretty good support and service at their service center on wireless road, very professional and I was surprise the prices for repairs were reasonable.

If its the higher end watches 150,000 and up, I would suggest one of the private dealers at Central World, they usually bring in the watches themselves to avoid the taxes and pass of the savings to you. "Papaya" is one of the shop that I purchased from in the past and are reputable. There are a handful around there, I believe most have been there for over a decade. You will not see any watches on the week days, perhaps just a handful of 2nd hand watches, this is to avoid the customs officer, they only bring out the new high end watches for show on the weekends when customs officers don't work. Again selection is very small and limited, maybe only 10-20 pcs, mostly rolex,panarai,patek watches. They can get any watch you want.

i bought a omega in central and not one problem with it. Asked for a discount and got 10000 bht off. Price wise it is the exact same as UK and if i have a problem i know i can take it back anytime to a proper shop. Some of the expensive fakes are very hard to spot so unless you are well knowleged about watches i would use a decent shop or the own brands shops.

You should know that it was reported on this website a while back that in the airport King Power duty free store innocent travelers were being framed for stealing to extort money from them. Wouldn't go near that place personally.

On the other hand, instead of going downtown, on your way in from Swampy you can go to Seacon Square on Srinakarin Road. This is where locals shop on this side of town and where you will definitely find the best prices on authentic brands.

If price is secondary and you are looking for the widest selection and all the premium brands, then on the way in from Swampy on Bangna Trad Road at Km 8, go to the Mega Bangna Mall.

Taxis will standby while you shop with the meter running, but be sure to snap a photo of the driver, car, and plate if you leave luggage, or at least get his mobile number and authenticate it from your own mobile. Try Seacon first is the best advice..

Agree 100% with Arrowsdawdle! Just Google King Power scam and you will realize what scum they are. TOT revoked their contracts but they continue to operate!

• Like 1

I would stay clear on King Power, duty free no such thing with them. Go down south pattaya rd befor you get to the temple behind the food stalls on the left walking down towards No 2 rd. There is a market behind the food stalls women with a big display stall inside she sells very good watches, Swiss etc I have had mine for 8yrs get showered every day with it and go swimming keeps perfect time. Good brand names also she talk good English.

• Like 1

Don't go anywhere near King Power....scammers...and if you are in their shop they will give you a "free gift".....then when you exit the shop...a security guard will ask too look in your bag...you show him...he spots the "free gift"...then accuses you of stealing it....you take him back to the shop to the salesperson who gave you the "free gift"...and they flatly deny it was "free"...security then bail you up and demand a "payment" for you to continue on your journey

Welcome to Thailand....LOS Land of scams....avoid King Power...don't go anywhere near them....don't even walk into their shop

• Like 1

Why would anyone be in Thailand and need a watch. I took mine off 12 yrs ago and not back on since.

Why would anyone want to live where they needed a watch. Have to be sorry for them.thumbsup.gif

If you have kids who go to school and you need to take them and drop them off.

In those twelve years have you never had to catch a plane, train or bus etc. Never had a dental, doctors or hospital appointment?

Personally, I feel neked without a watch on.

Why would anyone be in Thailand and need a watch. I took mine off 12 yrs ago and not back on since.

Why would anyone want to live where they needed a watch. Have to be sorry for them.thumbsup.gif

In those twelve years have you never had to catch a plane, train or bus etc. Never had a dental, doctors or hospital appointment?

I've not worn a watch since 1991.....didn't need one during the years that are hazy and now I have a phone.

Even Old Trafford referees gave up using them long ago! laugh.png

I've not worn a watch since 1991.....didn't need one during the years that are hazy and now I have a phone.

Even Old Trafford referees gave up using them long ago! laugh.png

So that's the reason you didn't realise it was time you bought a round laugh.png

1). Don't you have a watch ? If so why buy one and why here ?

2). If you absolutely must buy a watch, get a cheap one at a street stall

because you will either break, lose or have an expensive one stolen !

Personally, I don't think you really need a watch !

About $37 at Long's Drugs in Honolulu (CVS). Bike, swim, sleep, so light you'll forget it's on. Battery lasts years, depending on alarm and background light use. Never had one break.

Nobody needs a flash watch in Thailand mate. Walking around with half a Somchai's yearly income on yer arm. Not a good idea, for several reasonsthumbsup.gif .

TIMEX

"Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

post-84769-0-88544600-1418641509.jpg

Edited by arunsakda

Who cares if the Op needs a watch or not... The opinions of those who say they can just use their cell phone will always be different from those who wear a rolex.

The Op wants a watch and is looking for information on where to get one, he's not looking for advice on whether or not he needs a watch !...

OP: Sometimes the watch fares have good offers (i.e. Central Chidlom), that said, sometimes watches are cheaper in the West, especially online.

An option could be - Look for what you want, price it up online before coming to Thailand, then check the price in Thailand at the shops before purchasing.

• 2 weeks later...