Anyone want to catch up for coffee with a couple of newbies?

brissy allan and lynda

Hi all

We have just arrived in CM for 3 months and based in the Nimman area. Not knowing anyone here, thought we might put this call out and see if anyone might like to catch up for coffee in this area.

Our background .. originally from .NZ and moved to Brisbane about 30 years ago. Now in semi retirement (ie contract for 3>6 months a year) with this 3 month's being a bit of an evaluation exercise to see how this can fit into our retirement plans. We are 62 and 52 respectively and enjoy getting out and about, meeting people and sharing stories and experiences.

We attended the EXPATS for breakfast Friday week ago and met some really nice people there and will keep attending their meetings.

If u have time and can help us settle in, please get back to us maybe via PM and we can set date and time.

Many thanks for taking time to read this posting.

Regards .. Allan

Hubby and I came here in 2006 for a month to evaluate if Chiang Mai was the right place for our retirement. We'd hung out on this forum for a while before we came, posting a few times. We put out a similar appeal to meet folks for coffee or a beer and got ZERO response. I hope Allan and Lynda are faring better.

We found our best way to make friends was thru the expats club. It's even easier to meet people now since they have now informal Coffee Mornings twice monthly in addition to the more structured General Meetings in the hotel meeting room. Plus, there are many clubs-within-a-club, special interest groups, some that meet frequently and are another good chance to chat with people. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chiang-Mai-Expats-Club/286223608211692

Some of the people we meet via Expats Club in 2006 are still our best friends today.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

^ You only joined the forum in September 2008. And the post that got little traction was on finding a condo to rent, not meet up for beers! smile.png

That sounded very un-WtK like...... actually sounded a bit caustic and smara$$ed.

With the help that NancyL offers to many expats, which I am sure you know about being a regular here, it actually sounded rude.

..... and to the OP, welcome to the forum, and if you would care to stop by my place, I'd be happy to buy you a coffee and have a good chat.

I can't mention where it is without breaking some rules, but I think if you asked some other kind member would be able to tell you.

And Oscar2, as to meeting other expats vs locals, the OP may be a bit uneasy about the possible language differences.

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 2

don't people that move to foreign countries want to meet the people of the country they chose to live in? i never understood people coming to foreign countries to meet (in the case of Thailand) other falangs.

The OP specifically said they are looking for help settling in.

It's not like locals have to do 90-day reporting now, is it?

• Like 1

don't people that move to foreign countries want to meet the people of the country they chose to live in? i never understood people coming to foreign countries to meet (in the case of Thailand) other falangs.

Not to mention that it is kind of nice to get a "Reality Check" every once in a while....before you turn native.

^ You only joined the forum in September 2008. And the post that got little traction was on finding a condo to rent, not meet up for beers! smile.png

That sounded very un-WtK like...... actually sounded a bit caustic and smara$$ed.

With the help that NancyL offers to many expats, which I am sure you know about being a regular here, it actually sounded rude.

..... and to the OP, welcome to the forum, and if you would care to stop by my place, I'd be happy to buy you a coffee and have a good chat.

I can't mention where it is without breaking some rules, but I think if you asked some other kind member would be able to tell you.

And Oscar2, as to meeting other expats vs locals, the OP may be a bit uneasy about the possible language differences.

Gonzo

Isn't your place The Pun Pun restaurant (and guesthouse) at 321 Charoenrat Road, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand? wink.png

• Like 2

Gonzo

Isn't your place The Pun Pun restaurant (and guesthouse) at 321 Charoenrat Road, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand? wink.png

Well as I live and breathe....... You know I was wondering where I was.....cuz when mail comes it always written in Thai........ you just never know about these modern machines..... next thing you know someone will find out my phone and the original poster could call or stop by,,,,,,, why don't you come by at the same time and we can fix up a whole pot of coffee....

Then we can set up something like coffee-a-holics and have real meetings. clap2.gifclap2.gif

Not to mention that it is kind of nice to get a "Reality Check" every once in a while....before you turn native.

The TVCM Forum is the best "Reality Check" in town.

It would make any newly arrived farang want to "turn native" with a vengeance.

• Like 1

My husband has been a member of this forum much longer. Actually he was the one who posted in 2006 suggesting a meet-up with resident expats.

While we enjoyed meeting Thai people in 2006, what we really needed then was the opportunity to talk with other people from our own country who had made the retirement move just a little ahead of us so we could learn from their experiences. You know -- visas, opening a bank account, transferring funds from the home country, Social Security, medical insurance, mail forwarding, good places to live, local drivers license, what to bring, what to leave behind, etc. This is not the stuff that local Thai people know about -- really best gleaned from discussions over coffee or beer with people who have had this same experience in the past year or two.

We didn't actually retire and move here until 2008. That's when I joined ThaiVisa, while looking for a condo to rent -- and (as they say) the rest is history!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The TVCM Forum is the best "Reality Check" in town.

It would make any newly arrived farang want to "turn native" with a vengeance.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

re

Beware of foreigner con artists looking to befriend you.
Thailand is riddled with them

very true .. yesterday i was sat editing pics in a coffee shop and a 55 ish year old man who looked a bit scruffy came over and said do you speak english

i said yes .... he said can i talk to you and started to go towards a vacant chair :(

now alarm bells are ringing in my ears and i said no im sorry im working on something and have to get it finished

he then said ok ... what time can i talk to you :(

now the alarm bells are screaming in my ears so i said im sorry as soon as ive done this ive got to go to post this stuff to england

he then said ... so i cant talk to you at all ?

i said im sorry no ..... coz i dont have time

he didnt look very happy but he left and so did i soon after !

stranger danger isnt only for kids in thailand !

dave2

pic .. new graffiti painted near the park

post-42592-0-98910600-1418610121_thumb.j

• Like 2

re

Dave what do you reckon he wanted to sell you ?

Time share ?

Or was it to borrow/invest money ?

i suspect it was going to be ive lost or had my passport . wallet stolen or whatever

but i wasnt interested in finding out so i ended the conversation quickly and firmly but nicely

mean maybee , but ive heard enough sob stories here over the years to think this dipstick is trying to get money out of my pocket for something ?

and that wasnt happening :)

dave2

pic ... an owl painted with the other two last week

ps ... im sure the ops are very nice people and i wish them well but ill back out of their topic now ... so i dont de rail it :)

post-42592-0-79002500-1418641694_thumb.j

post-42592-0-35677700-1418641723_thumb.j