You can't do this. 45 baht tip on 8000 baht bill

frollywolly

@ frollywolly

i will take your for your word when you describe both the event that is the topic being discussed and also the type of relationship you say you have with your friend who was at this dinner.

so i have to conclude, after all the positng that has gone on relative to this topic, that most respondents don't have a clue as to what that type of friendship is about, or how some folks have absolutely no problem with leaving a tip for good service when it is warranted ... it would seem that those two concepts go hand in hand and are not mutually exclusive.

which makes a lot of sense to me, but is just one man's opinion.

Isnt good service and nice food what you pay for anyway?. doesnt that ensure your return etc which is worth much more than any tip.

Personally, I find 8000 baht for a meal outrageous, but each to there own.

Me and a friend, another TV member, were looking for a buffet around 5pm in Bangkok, the few we went into were almost empty, and the cost was around 2000 Baht each. What does that tell you?

I go to a Western restaurant in Soi 23 sometimes when I am in Bangkok ( I don't like Thai food) and always left a tip, but now since they have changed hands, they have almost doubled the price of their portions of peas and beans.

I now go there much less and have stopped leaving any tips.

doesnt that ensure your return etc which is worth much more than any tip.

Not for the staff who rely on their tips to make some decent money..

It's up to the restaurant bosses to pay their staff a decent wage, even if they have to up their prices.

Tipping is ridiculous. Lots of people work minimum wage jobs, but for some reason the west has made us feel guilty for not GIVING servers extra money for simply bringing food to the table. Do these people work any harder than the ones at Big C, Burger King, or the gas station? But for some reason we give extra money to waiters...... Strange custom if you ask me.

To add insult to injury, restaurant service is usually 100 times worse in Bangkok than in America (from my personal experience).

I agree with you entirely, but if I use a restaurant on a regular basis, I leave a tip as this means I will still get decent portions in the future.

• Like 1

doesnt that ensure your return etc which is worth much more than any tip.

Not for the staff who rely on their tips to make some decent money..

It's up to the restaurant bosses to pay their staff a decent wage, even if they have to up their prices.

Tipping in London's Restaurants. It is customary to leave 10-15% of the bill when eating out. However, restaurants often add on a service charge (usually 12.5%), especially if you're in a large group, so it's worth checking your bill if you don't want to tip twice.

Tipping Guide NYC

The customary tipping rate is 15%-20% for taxi drivers and waiters; bellhops are usually given $2 per bag in luxury hotels, $1 per bag elsewhere. Hotel maids should be tipped $2 per day of your stay.

France, a 15% service charge is automatically included in cafe and restaurant bills. This money is not given directly to the waiter but to the restaurant owner who pays his staff a fixed salary.

Edited by thailiketoo

Well I could tip 45 baht but I would not. It would defiantly bee a larger tip.

People talk about the Thai's being paid to give good service. So don't tip them. whistling.gif

Does that mean that back in Farongland where a tip is expected the management does not pay them to give good service?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif