Record TV ......how?

griffer

I seem to have posted this in wrong place before..so I will move it here

many thanks in advance to anyone who can explain(if you want a few more details go to my previous post) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/783364-record-tv-how/

could someone explain to me the new technology

I have a panasonic TH-P42X30T plasma TV

I have it linked through a Sony HDMI video recorder RDR GX380 to my True set-top box.

It worked great.. I can record 6 hours of golf during the night and watch the next day. It also burns it onto a disk that I can either re-use or (using cheaper disks) keep forever.

I have sets of disks of British Open, Ryder Cup...love it..

But the recorder has gone wrong..happy to buy another one as it is 5-6 years old.

But can't find one. Went to Sony shop and "salesman" told me they are not made anymore because there is no demand (?)

But he said you can record straight into a USB memory stick... but couldn't find correct remote to show me..(

He also said you need to inform True if you want to record?

So what's the go.. can I use my TV to record to a memory stick.?.will it hold 6 hours or more?..any programmes?.. can I then burn it onto a disk for keeping?

Am I going backwards in time?

I know I can hire a PVR (personal video recorder) from True...but I believe it is just a hard drive/or flash memory.. I can't keep it on a disk..?

many thanks..

It just confuses me that I have a perfect solution..I can record any programme, burn to disk, keep forever, play on any TV or computer.....with the current video recorder

but I have to change to record on a memory stick or hard drive that has severe limitations...??

I have a feeling I don't understand the upgrade...??

In a UK forum it says you can only record free to air programmes...does True limit the type of programmes I could record with this memory stick? could I not record, say, the live golf?

thanks for your time..

• 4 weeks later...

It is a shame that this recorder has been discontinued,

but I suspect it is Industry pressure, rather than lack of demand

The film Industry simply does not want us recording high def programmes bah.gif

A google search showed some offers on e-bay which may help the OP

I believe the TruVision recorder uses an encrypted format

that cannot be played on other equipment

Edited by astral