Undeliverable mail sent by International EMS

OJAS

What is supposed to happen to International EMS mail which cannot be delivered to the destination address for whatever reason? Is this eventually returned to the Thai post office from which it was sent? And will that post office then call the number stated on the International Courier slip of paper for the sender to pick it up?

In addition, should it be possible to monitor progress in returning undeliverable International EMS mail via Thailand Post's EMS tracker?

Undelivered mail is held at the post office local to the delivery address for collection for around 21 days, varies by country, then it is returned to sender, the same address you entered on the EMS sticker attached to the parcel. If no one is available there it is usually held for collection from the local Post office. A card "should" be left advising of attempted delivery.

EMS tracking is available via Thailand Post and usually in the country it is being delivered, USPS if USA as an example.

EMS packages depending on size may be handled by Parcel force in the UK, same rules apply, card left if undelivered, held for 18 days in the Uk and then returned to sender.

If smaller( will go through letterbox size) via Recorded mail system with royal mail.

To the best of my knowledge.

If an EMS letter is undeliverable it would be returned to the senders address that should be on the enevelope, if there is no senders address I suppose it would just be returned to the P.O. that it was posted from, but how they could then trace the sender is anyones guess.

Thanks everyone. Actually there is a particular incident I have in mind, which relates to the farcical situation described in the thread I originated at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/783006-uk-state-pension-claim-unsuccessful-delivery/. I sent an item of mail to a particular UK government department on 2 December, but EMS tracking stalled on 9 December with an "Incorrect Address" statement against the UK delivery address, this despite the fact that the website states that this is the address to which all correspondence to that department should be sent!

When I called the particular department in question yesterday I was informed that delivery had been refused on the grounds that there was no-one at that particular address who was authorised to sign for the receipt of International EMS mail, and that the item of mail in question was therefore being returned to me here in Thailand!

I am hoping that Royal Mail will not, in these circumstances, hang on to my item of mail (which consists of a few papers stuffed into an A4 envelope rather than a parcel) for up to 21 days but instead send it on its merry way back to LOS ASAP. At the time of posting to the UK, the post office here provided us with a slip of paper headed "International Courier Thailand" and including among other things details of the EMS tracking number, sender's address and contact phone number.

I am therefore taking it that my item of mail will land up back at the post office from which we sent it sooner rather than later, and that they will be able to use their copy of the "International Courier Thailand" slip of paper in order to either (1) identify the final address to which it needs to be sent, or (2) call the contact phone number stated so that we can then collect it ourselves. Does any of this sound like wishful thinking, though?

The UK Post Office does seem a little strange in this aspect.

I sent a Registered Letter (not EMS) to my bank in London.... and it was returned some while later endorsed, by hand 'Signiture required' (sic). How can a bank not have someone who can sign for mail?

The UK Post Office does seem a little strange in this aspect.

I sent a Registered Letter (not EMS) to my bank in London.... and it was returned some while later endorsed, by hand 'Signiture required' (sic). How can a bank not have someone who can sign for mail?

Your bank sound like they're twinned with DWP's Wolverhampton mail centre!

How long after you had sent it did it show up back with you? And did the postman deliver it to your doorstep, or did you have to collect it from the post office where you sent it from?

As reported in post #177 on the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/783099-uk-pensions-life-certificate/ I have now heard back from IPC confirming the worst as regards delivery of my claim. I was informed that Wolverhampton were solely a mail warehouse and, hence, unable to sign for delivery. IPC also advised me to contact Thailand Post if I needed to establish the current whereabouts of my claim. However, our local post office subsequently informed my wife that only IPC could provide this information! In the circumstances I have decided to bide my time and, if my claim doesn't show up back here by the New Year, submit a duplicate to the Newcastle address. Grrr!!