What happen is you fail the exam for ED visa extention ?

Call me crazy, but a huge number of thai learn English at school for 10 years, followed by 4 or so years at uni and still can not speak , read or write but they expect Middle aged foreigners to hold a convo in thai after few months of study?

• Like 1

Call me crazy, but a huge number of thai learn English at school for 10 years, followed by 4 or so years at uni and still can not speak , read or write but they expect Middle aged foreigners to hold a convo in thai after few months of study?

I think you can't compare between who studied English in Thai environment to who studied Thai in Thai environment.

• Like 1

I think you can't compare between who studied English in Thai environment to who studied Thai in Thai environment.

Sure i can, 14 years comparing to 1 year, is a pretty good ratio, do not you think?

• Like 2

I've just read on a language school website that their students don't even need to go to immigration for 90 day extensions & 90 day reporting. I'm quite surprised by this. Is this true?

I know my school doesn't offer this. I've seen at immigration before one person come with 20-30 passports & that is really annoying when you are waiting for your number to be called. Guess that must be the case of a school like this...

We can also handle your 90 day reporting at immigration which is also necessary to confirm your present address. There is no charge for this service.

Some language academies will claim a ‘special relationship’ with the immigration department to enable these things to be done on your behalf. This very impressive for you! But in practice, any language academy operating within the law is usually able to offer the same service.

Which school?

so the worst thing that can happen is that they give you 60 days instead of 90? or have there been any reports of anyone who actually had to leave before his visa expired and couldnt continue his ED visa?

Yes there have been people denied their extension (it is not a visa). They were allowed to stay until their current extension expired.

Your visa has probably already expired unless your have a multiple entry visa.

so the worst thing that can happen is that they give you 60 days instead of 90? or have there been any reports of anyone who actually had to leave before his visa expired and couldnt continue his ED visa?

Yes I heard of a guy, given 48h to leave the country,because he had signed every lesson on the atendancy sheet,whereas his passport showed he was out of the country for a while.

I've just read on a language school website that their students don't even need to go to immigration for 90 day extensions & 90 day reporting. I'm quite surprised by this. Is this true?

I know my school doesn't offer this. I've seen at immigration before one person come with 20-30 passports & that is really annoying when you are waiting for your number to be called. Guess that must be the case of a school like this...

We can also handle your 90 day reporting at immigration which is also necessary to confirm your present address. There is no charge for this service.

Some language academies will claim a ‘special relationship’ with the immigration department to enable these things to be done on your behalf. This very impressive for you! But in practice, any language academy operating within the law is usually able to offer the same service.

Which school?

This school: http://www.thailanguagecentre.org/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=539205501

90 day address reporting can be done :

- In person

- by mail

- by any another person on your behalf.

So yes, a school can do this for you.

Actually, I didn't include the whole quote before. The 1st part says they can do a 90 day extension & also a 90 day reporting for the student. See below:

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

Once you have your ED visa you are entitled to stay for 90 days. Every 90 days you will need to go to an immigration office in Thailand to get it extended for a further 90 days at a cost of 1,900 baht, payable to the immigration department. However, if you give us the authority to do so, we can do this on your behalf, at an additional cost of 7,600 baht for the year – which we pay to immigration for you. We can also handle your 90 day reporting at immigration which is also necessary to confirm your present address. There is no charge for this service.

Which school?

This school: http://www.thailanguagecentre.org/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=539205501

TLC was closed down by immigration, students never got refund.

What's the exact paperwork you bring with you to Chaeng Wattana when you go for your 90 day extension of stay? Before I heard people here saying they had to bring their rental contract, etc. Something that was never required before whenever I went there but that was about 8 months ago.

No, no rental contract or anything. It's documents from the school in Thai, signed attendance record, there's a form they give you that you have to sign about overstay penalties, another two forms your school with give in English- one is a general who you are and where you stay form, and the other is (I think) the application for extension. Two passport photos.

Just the usual package.

With the paperwork the school gives students to give to immigration, does it say how many study hours the student has left in their study package of lessons for the next 90 days after the extension of stay?

What's the exact paperwork you bring with you to Chaeng Wattana when you go for your 90 day extension of stay? Before I heard people here saying they had to bring their rental contract, etc. Something that was never required before whenever I went there but that was about 8 months ago.

No, no rental contract or anything. It's documents from the school in Thai, signed attendance record, there's a form they give you that you have to sign about overstay penalties, another two forms your school with give in English- one is a general who you are and where you stay form, and the other is (I think) the application for extension. Two passport photos.

Just the usual package.

With the paperwork the school gives students to give to immigration, does it say how many study hours the student has left in their study package of lessons for the next 90 days after the extension of stay?

I don't think so, no. not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Just the usual package.

I don't think so, no. not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Yes it does, off course it does.

You are supposed to study x amount of hours each week, they have the starting and the ending date of the course

You are supposed to study x amount of hours each week, they have the starting and the ending date of the course

Well, yes, it's got the start and end date for your course- that's pretty obvious. But I don't think it lists the study hours you have left in the package you'd purchased, no. That's a different thing. And would truncate pretty much every active ED visa now the new 8 hour a week rule has been launched.

Well, yes, it's got the start and end date for your course- that's pretty obvious. But I don't think it lists the study hours you have left in the package you'd purchased, no. That's a different thing. And would truncate pretty much every active ED visa now the new 8 hour a week rule has been launched.

The package is determined by a number of hours used in a set time frame.

Anyone that got his visa before Sept is still on 4 h per week

They shouldn't be doing only 4hrs a week or they will have potential problems when they go for a 90 day extension of stay.
Say they originally signed up for a 200hr, 220hr, 250hr or whatever package with a 1 year ED visa. I wonder what would happen if those students only did the minimum attendance rate of 70% or 80% or whatever it currently is so they didn't need to top-up with buying extra hours of study from the school.

Yes I heard of a guy, given 48h to leave the country,because he had signed every lesson on the atendancy sheet,whereas his passport showed he was out of the country for a while.

I know the front desk staff at a school on Asoke always asked students if they left the country at any time during the last 90 days to avoid marking a student present when they were not in the country.

Then the quickly filled out the attendance sheet for the other dates.

too bad his school wasn't more careful about asking about days he couldn't possibly have been in class before marking him present on the immigration form.

They shouldn't be doing only 4hrs a week or they will have potential problems when they go for a 90 day extension of stay.
Say they originally signed up for a 200hr, 220hr, 250hr or whatever package with a 1 year ED visa. I wonder what would happen if those students only did the minimum attendance rate of 70% or 80% or whatever it currently is so they didn't need to top-up with buying extra hours of study from the school.

For God's sake this is not USSR yet and new rules are not retro-active.

I only need to do 4H a week THATS THE LAW

konying, on 18 Dec 2014 - 10:30, said:

But they are in their own country, aren't they? They get no VISA or other official documents from the fact of studying English. They just need as English as necessary to rip off some vely endsome fallang in some way, when they get older.

What!? In Hua Hin right... Well I just came from there so impossible, unless you refer to a different branch like in Bangkok or somewhere?

Which school?

TLC was closed down by immigration, students never got refund.

Edited by monk213

Well, I got my paperwork approval based on 4hrs a week so according to your theory then I only also need to do 4hrs a week. I've been doing the required under the new system, not the 4 hrs under the old system. My school has told me all students have to do the new required hours, not 4hrs a week. Same as what I've read on other threads about ED visa students on this forum.

Well, I got my paperwork approval based on 4hrs a week so according to your theory then I only also need to do 4hrs a week. I've been doing the required under the new system, not the 4 hrs under the old system. My school has told me all students have to do the new required hours, not 4hrs a week. Same as what I've read on other threads about ED visa students on this forum.

Ok whatever I am really not interested to know how many hours you actually do or do not a week and as matter of fact immigration does not either.

My point was it is very easy to determine how many hours are left to do with the starting date and ending date,but really I can assure after I saw in Chaeng Wattana, they could not care less so really no need to argue.

My school in Chiang Mai went from 4 hours to 8 hours last week

I got my visa in Aug of 2014

rules apply to me, got to go another two times a week , thing is with new rules from what I have seen

they often apply a rule to your visa even if yoru visa was created before the actually rule,

In any case I dont think all schools in Thailand are on the 8 hours in every region but I think it is coming and will eventually be Country wide soon enough

If you are getting 90 day extensions your ED visa expired as soon as you entered the country if it was a single entry. You don't have a one year ED visa. All you did was pay for a one year course of study to to a school.

You have nothing that immigration or the MOE has to honor. They can impose the new rules for your next 90 day extension.

My school in Chiang Mai went from 4 hours to 8 hours last week

I got my visa in Aug of 2014

rules apply to me, got to go another two times a week , thing is with new rules from what I have seen

they often apply a rule to your visa even if yoru visa was created before the actually rule,

In any case I dont think all schools in Thailand are on the 8 hours in every region but I think it is coming and will eventually be Country wide soon enough

On my paper it says I am on 4 hours a weeks and immigration did not bat an eyelid,on that last time.

Shall I remind you they spent 8 HOURS scrutinizing my application,so if it was the problem, I would have known

Wow, after reading all those, I'm pretty scared now. I'm only on my 2nd week of study, and it's pretty difficult even now. We are only having 4 hours per week and looks like it won't be enough for the immigration exam. And because I'm a 38 year old Turkish national (considered middle-east, which is bad in Thailand), I'm sure I'll face extra discrimination at immigration.

Do you have any recommendations on have to prepare for the exam? For example, should I try to learn the alphabet on my own during my free time? If I should, are there any good books or web sites for this out there? Any constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks