Permanent importing a MC to Thailand

shawn82

I am thinking about permanent importing my MC to Thailand.

Have read page after page of rules/taxes on the ThaiCustoms website.

Secondhand verticals get a tax rebate. Does that also cover MC?

Can I do this on a EDU visa?

Any hints on who can help me with all papers/government stuff that is needed for this?

TiA

Plus what's your long term strategy on an EDU visa when going through all the necessary hoops and jumps to eventually fail.

Sorry for sounding defeatist but having read so so many similar posts over the last decade, it has turned me that way about this subject.

I wish you well and hope you make the right decision.

• Like 2

Plus what's your long term strategy on an EDU visa when going through all the necessary hoops and jumps to eventually fail.

Sorry for sounding defeatist but having read so so many similar posts over the last decade, it has turned me that way about this subject.

I wish you well and hope you make the right decision.

You want to start a process that can take up to 3 years to complete on an ed visa. That is just the first step of getting the commerce departments ok. You can get a temporary import visa for the bike good for 6 months but you should probably be on a tourist visa for that

• Like 2

on an edu visa, no temp import all i know.

but for tourist visa, all i know it is possible provided that every 6 months, you have to do a border run.

but again as stated, cost of shipping, paperwork, greedy customs etc, although it will be cheaper than buying a new bike still a lot of hassle and you need to change your visa to tourist and every 6 months you need to do a border run.

so, better buy a second hand bike here, use ti and sell it while you are leaving.

Edited by ll2

I am "disabled". Have the EU "disabled" card for cars/MCs.

My car/bike are custom build for me.

Could I use that as an excuse to get an importing license.

EDU Visa is a means to an end. I want to live in Thailand for the rest of my life. But I have many years until I can get a retirement Visa in Thailand.

Anyone knows if this is correct (aprox):

To import a Motorcycle:

1) need permit from customs

2) pay 200-300% tax (-70% because my stuff is 10 years+ old)

3) License the bike in Thailand (pass emissions tests and stuff for 30K baht)

4) license plate/insurance

5) Drive off in 300Kph into a cliff living happily ever after..

I love my custom Vrod. 1-100 kph in less than 3 seconds = fun. :)

If your importing a new motorbike from the usa its not a issue just pay the taxes (based on bikes value) and pay the inspection (about 60,000)

I guess you missed the part where the OP states:

How many individuals in the USA have an EU "disabled" card

If your importing a new motorbike from the usa its not a issue just pay the taxes (based on bikes value) and pay the inspection (about 60,000)

I guess you missed the part where the OP states:

How many individuals in the USA have an EU "disabled" card

Actually i only read the first post and made a bad assumption edu was a education visa "Can I do this on a EDU visa?" I didnt know Thailand had disabled visa.

Not sure why he would need to be in or from the usa to import from? Most grey imports come from there to take advantage of the cheap sales price and shipping.

From What I hear you would be just pissing away good money. I just talked to an American that bought a 2015 corvette car was $50,000 shipping & customs tax car was $112,000.

If you really love it & have an OA visa & feel like trying to win a losing battle go for it. Best rule out here or anywhere is to not get married to a machine.

I think your emmissions will run closer to 60,000 baht & to get it greenbooked probably another 30,000 baht & waiting up to 3 years & a lot of unnessesary hoops you could have avoided. Even a Harley will be less buying it over here & it is all done. If you are really serious about it go to Red Baron in Bangkok & offer the owner 100,000 baht & then pony up the rest for emmisions & getting a green book. The owner has experience in this & basicaly since all the rules on older than NEW vehicles are not wanted the other dealers don't even want to bother with it. Even if it was a Lamborgini or a brand new K@ (race version Kawi) better to dump it & procure it out here & bite the bullet on the price. Even my ford truck New from the states would have cost me 26,000 & change for a truck I paid for 18,500 & a Ranger is not worth $44,500. There are endless posts on this subject if you do a search on it. I doubt out of 100 people in Thailand that have considered this within the last 2 years you would have 2 people that are the odd man out. Just don't do it & if you do wait till you have a real permanent visa because if you have to leave Thailand that ride will be hell to sell when you can buy a Kawasaki 650 2011 or 2012 for 200,000-220,000 baht & you don't need any extra circle jerks to get involved in. Up to you though.

• Like 1

Dave on a new bike it's closer to 80% plus shipping ($700). 532,000 + 425,600 + 21,000= 978,600. Now there's about 500,000 in savings and room for incidentals.

The guy that owned the pattaya ducati dealer before the thais took it over was importing ducatis from cali regularly and those were his fees. I guess this was one of the reasons he lost the dealership.

Wish these (& other) "I want to import xxxxx to LOS" could be placed as a "sticky" on Thai Visa, to save going over the same old ground, time and time again.

It would help posters, I'm sure.

Why, they won't look before posting, it is just easier to spout off instead of doing a search and posters here are the enablers

Sort of like the Thai drivers, if they all would not allow the left lane sneakers back in lane we would not have all these massive traffic jams at intersections

I think you are going to get killed on this transaction. It will be cheaper & easier to sell the bike in your home country & just buy a new V-Rod or used a couple years old & get the proper paperwork here. It will co0st me almost double what I paid for to ship my 2004 RX8 mazda engine for drift racing & most likely an emissions nightmare. Either of my Kawasaki 1000 or the 1100 will exceed the 200% to get it over. Just makes way more sense to buy it here for less money. If your V-Rod has mods remove them & replace with the stock parts & sell. When you go back to your home country pack & bring back the parts you modded on your check in & put them on your new bike. Why get married to a machine .They are like fish in the sea & the bike will be fresher bought here. No 3 years to wait no I can't believe this shit & then the endless I TOLD YOU SO you get later when you don't take the advise of everyone that either has tried or wants to. This country is very anal about only wanting new bikes & moreso made in Thailand if possible. Love for a machine shipping it here is a losing proposition. Since 2004 being here I never heard anyone say it was really worth the hassle & now with the newer laws intact it is a lose lose situation. If it was different I & most of the foreigners here in Thailand would have their babies from their home countries would bring them over. Besides you can mod anything for not much more over here.

OP Richard BKK does Chinese bikes so he could tell you more in depth about what you are looking at if you are really deadset on shooting yourself in the foot do a search & type his name in it. I am sure he would be able to provide you with more of the same info. Like I said I would sell a Lambo Ferrari or a 66 Shelby Cobra rather than pay all the duties & still have to wait & hope that someday you actually get a green book for the car or bike.

It most likely can be done ....But the question is why. There really is no such thing as the 1 lucky Farang & since you are not Thai it will be a desision you will most likely be regreatting + If you decide to leave in a hurry & that does happen here or you find your tired of Thailand at some point if you do not have papers for the bike you will get 50% less than what you paid in your home country. This is not like the west where logic prevails.

Duties are just ludicrous over here. I am buying a nice Nikon DSLR & the duties from China or Thailand to the U.S. are inexpensive compared to sending from the U.S. or China to Thailand. The money I save I will either fly to China or wait till I go back to the states & bring the damn thing back here. But whatever way you go good luck you have an uphill battle, but do let us know as we all on TV are curious & want to here someone found a way that didn't turn into a disaster.

Dave on a new bike it's closer to 80% plus shipping ($700). 532,000 + 425,600 + 21,000= 978,600. Now there's about 500,000 in savings and room for incidentals.

The guy that owned the pattaya ducati dealer before the thais took it over was importing ducatis from cali regularly and those were his fees. I guess this was one of the reasons he lost the dealership.

I'd think that Harley Bangkok wouldn't actually make ~48% profit on the import...but perhaps I'm wrong.

Don't know profit margin, but ...

2015 Road Glide Special 1,749,000 baht in Bangkok

$28,379 Canadian - at 30 baht to the dollar (rough easy estimate) - 851,370 baht

- at 35 baht (high) - 993,265 baht.

I shipped my HD from Vancouver to Sydney for $550.00 so it ain't freight costs.

Could I use that as an excuse to get an importing license.

EDU Visa is a means to an end. I want to live in Thailand for the rest of my life. But I have many years until I can get a retirement Visa in Thailand.

Anyone knows if this is correct (aprox):

To import a Motorcycle:

1) need permit from customs

2) pay 200-300% tax (-70% because my stuff is 10 years+ old)

3) License the bike in Thailand (pass emissions tests and stuff for 30K baht)

4) license plate/insurance

5) Drive off in 300Kph into a cliff living happily ever after..

I love my custom Vrod. 1-100 kph in less than 3 seconds = fun. smile.png

The fact that you are disabled and the bike is custom built for your handicap may make the difference.

I don't know the guy personally, but a friend told me about a Belgian person in the same position as you, who was allowed to import his Harley, custom built for his disability, at a low import duty. I'm not sure if your meaning of custom built is the same.