Finding a Registered Letter

vagabond48

A registered letter was sent to me from Turkey. I tracked it leaving Turkey December 1. No further tracking information was logged. It was addressed to my PO Box. On the small chance that the envelope is at my post office and the slip I need to present was never placed in my PO box, will they be able to check if it has arrived, if I bring the Turkish tracking number? I don't speak Thai so I don't know how I would request this.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

have you searched the tracking both from Turkey Post and Thailand Post? there must be some info on one that is not on the other.

yes, just present the number to the clerk at the box section. they will check on the status. sometimes post gets stuck at Laksi or Lamphun and they have to call and get it sent to C.M.

have you searched the tracking both from Turkey Post and Thailand Post? there must be some info on one that is not on the other.

yes, just present the number to the clerk at the box section. they will check on the status. sometimes post gets stuck at Laksi or Lamphun and they have to call and get it sent to C.M.

I checked all tracking websites including the Turkish Post. Thailand Post doesn't find the Turkish tracking number.

On the Turkish Post, I can see when it was mailed and when it supposedly left Turkey. I can even see the person who mailed it. That's where the tracking stops. There is no additional information in Thailand.

When sent a register letter to Turkey in October, I was able to track it on Thailand Post from here to Turkey including the person who accepted the letter.

Edited by vagabond48

"I don't speak Thai so I don't know how I would request this."

Do you know anyone who speaks enough Thai and English to go with you to sort it out at the PO?

Most PO here keep a log book in which they list every registered item received, then update it when the items have been delivered. Fairly easy to check this to see if it arrived.

Most of these kinds of things are a result of insufficient patience or incorrect addressing.

I checked all tracking websites including the Turkish Post. Thailand Post doesn't find the Turkish tracking number.

On the Turkish Post, I can see when it was mailed and when it supposedly left Turkey. I can even see the person who mailed it. That's where the tracking stops. There is no additional information in Thailand.

When sent a register letter to Turkey in October, I was able to track it on Thailand Post from here to Turkey including the person who accepted the letter.

then it has not yet arrived in Thailand. post from Russia, China,Turkey and Morocco can take some time to get here - 3-5 weeks. if it is not showing up on Thailand post, then there won't be much they can do to help you. they will tell you to contact Turkish post. give it time, the chance of a registered letter going missing is pretty low these days.

As we say google is your friend and I have tried 3 to 4 tracking sites including those recommended. There no further entries after Turkey.

I went down to my local PO and he also checked on his computer and found nothing. He told me the letter may be delayed because it is Christmas time. I didn't think that mail coming from a Muslim country (Turkey) going to a Buddhist country (Thailand) would be effected that much by the Christmas mail crunch especially if the envelope left Turkey December 1st.

Thanks for your suggestions.

As we say google is your friend and I have tried 3 to 4 tracking sites including those recommended. There no further entries after Turkey.

I went down to my local PO and he also checked on his computer and found nothing. He told me the letter may be delayed because it is Christmas time. I didn't think that mail coming from a Muslim country (Turkey) going to a Buddhist country (Thailand) would be effected that much by the Christmas mail crunch especially if the envelope left Turkey December 1st.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I remember a few times using USPS from USA their tracking would show till

a point then nothing for a few days...then it would show up on Thai tracking.

Yours may be in that same type of dead zone for a few days?

Hope it turns up for you too.

Registered post from overseas can take up to a month to reach Thailand if it is sent by surface mail, EMS is different and will be delivered much faster.

I had once registered mail from Hong Kong sent to me and it entered Thailand almost 4 weeks after it left Hong Kong. I mailed Hong Kong post and they explained that this is the normal procedure.

Registered mail from certain countries will also not show on the tracking sites after it has left the country from which it was sent, but Thailand post office will be able to trace it as soon as it has entered Thailand.

Edited by Anthony5

someone in every Thai post office speaks/understands and reads english if that is acceptable to you. It may not have you country accent but you can take the registration paper and they will understand what you need done. The answer may be a shug and the single word answer ''cannot'' but your question will be addressed.

then it has not yet arrived in Thailand. post from Russia, China,Turkey and Morocco can take some time to get here - 3-5 weeks. if it is not showing up on Thailand post, then there won't be much they can do to help you. they will tell you to contact Turkish post. give it time, the chance of a registered letter going missing is pretty low these days.

You will find many of the worlds countries 'tracking service' ends when it leaves their borders and often only gets a final update on delivery.. USPS airmail tracking springs to mind..

I have had stuff go missing like this a few times.. You see it track through the senders country.. See it leave.. then nothing.. I fail to believe its the advanced western countries that get it wrong, when it makes it to the airport departure gate just fine.. I have also had one of these turn up weeks later.. But others never did.

I just wanted to provide an update that my letter finally arrived. It was off the radar for about 16 days. There is no way of knowing whether it was delayed on the Turkish or Thai side. It began tracking again 12/17. Finally arrived in Chiang Mai 12/19. I guess I forget airmail delivery means nothing if there are millions of letters to be delivered before mine.

Thanks anyway for your comments.