suvarnabhumi airport - new taxi machines, new scam

joepublic

The problem with the machines is they have done nothing to solve the waiting time. Huge lines yesterday morning due to just two out of three machines working. Although supposed to be self service these are operated in the main by three girls who just push the button for you.

The parking of the taxis in the bays is great but this being Thailand the designers never thought the self service machines would be taken over by the assistants so nothing has been gained.

The ticket has the taxi drivers name and info and under no circumstance should you give it to him.

The system prints another copy ticket for him to enter the allocated bay.

By the way I went up to level four and despite the one way barriers there were still tourists going the wrong way through them and taking a taxi.

Security just take a blind eye and do not interfere.

I did that since Swampy opened and I will start doing it again, as the chances to encounter a driver who wanna rip you off are a lot smaller if you get a cab from departures level.

I forgot to mention of the three machines one was for large taxi vans,one out of operation and one taxi.

In other words one machine for all the normal sized taxis hence the long lines.

Each machine was supposedly self service but instead operated by a girl who handed you the ticket.

The problem with the machines is they have done nothing to solve the waiting time. Huge lines yesterday morning due to just two out of three machines working. Although supposed to be self service these are operated in the main by three girls who just push the button for you.

The parking of the taxis in the bays is great but this being Thailand the designers never thought the self service machines would be taken over by the assistants so nothing has been gained.

The ticket has the taxi drivers name and info and under no circumstance should you give it to him.

The system prints another copy ticket for him to enter the allocated bay.

By the way I went up to level four and despite the one way barriers there were still tourists going the wrong way through them and taking a taxi.

Security just take a blind eye and do not interfere.

I did that since Swampy opened and I will start doing it again, as the chances to encounter a driver who wanna rip you off are a lot smaller if you get a cab from departures level.

The security guards at level four will not say anything to you about passing through the turnstiles to catch a taxi that has just unloaded passengers because back in June the government officially stated that these taxis are allowed to accept outgoing passengers, and passengers are allowed to use these taxis.

Edited by bubba

There is of course always a reason to complain, but ever tried to get meter on in Ho Chi Minh or Bangalore? What about Istanbul or Domodedova? Maybe Beijing... ? In Subarnabhumi they did a lot of efforts to organize the taxi services.

Nice to see you placing BKK with those awful airports.

The new ticket machines have done nothing to speed up the taxi line.

So if you have hundreds and hundreds of people arriving constantly please tell me exactly how YOU would speed up the taxi line? Rather than sitting in front of your computer being a Thaivisa moaner, come up with a solution.

I fly in and out regularly and I think the taxi wait is not too bad. It is certainly better than many other airports (even some that people on here laud) and this new ticketing thing is an effort to improve. So, come on, instead of moaning, how would you make it better? We're all ears. Let us know how you would service so many people without a queue.

Don't want to sound stupid but can I ask ......is there no lady sat there now when you want a taxi you have to go to a machine? It's been 10 months since I was last there but will be back next Friday, where are the machines ? Are they where the the women used to be?

Many thanks in advance

So if you have hundreds and hundreds of people arriving constantly please tell me exactly how YOU would speed up the taxi line? Rather than sitting in front of your computer being a Thaivisa moaner, come up with a solution.

I fly in and out regularly and I think the taxi wait is not too bad. It is certainly better than many other airports (even some that people on here laud) and this new ticketing thing is an effort to improve. So, come on, instead of moaning, how would you make it better? We're all ears. Let us know how you would service so many people without a queue.

The machines are a good idea. However the airport needs dozens of them.

The could also remove the turnstiles from departures on the top floor.

Edited by Jay Sata

The machines are a good idea. However the airport needs dozens of them.

The could also remove the turnstiles from departures on the top floor.

having used don mueang and swampy for over 25yrs,from 1984-2009 i found the bigest problem with the airport taxi's

was there was never any room in the boot for suitcase's with most of them having gas tanks taking up most of the room.many times having to sit with a suit case on your lap.so the last few yrs.we would pre-book a bigger car.

so as i saw on the telle this week that if you end up with a bigger car you are expected to pay more.

so this is where the brains come into play, 2machines and 2 lines of taxi's,one small,one bigger.

surely some one with a small brain could work that out.

There are actually three machines with one for those needing a larger vehicle.

One my last trip through two weeks ago one machine was not working hence long lines.

These machines are supposed to be self service but this being Thailand the assistants on hand to help have taken them over and issue the tickets.

The gas tanks in the rear have always been a problem although a couple with standard luggage will fit the average taxis.

US travellers with their 200 plus kilos and 12 cases for a two weeks trip need a van.

I returned to Swampy late on Saturday nite and encountered the metered taxi ticket machines for the first time too. They had some assistant there pressing the machine's button and handing the tickets to the travelers. The ticket directs you to the parking slot number for your cab. I got in and handed the ticket to the driver and said take me to Suk soi 24 and he turned on the meter and off we went. At the destination, the meter fare was about 225 and the 50 baht surcharge. I also tipped my rather aged driver another 100 baht, as he was a chatty old fella who was regaling me with stories about how he use to work with the American and Aus militaries during the Vietnam War days and could buy stuff cheap from the PX and peddle it at a high markup on the black market. Unfortunately, he said, this was no longer possible.

The system seemed efficient to me...I think you may have just got a bad driver.

Or maybe you have just got a good driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Long lines yesterday lunchtime so I nipped up to level 4. Worst mistake ever I made. The taxi had gasoline fumes inside for the whole trip to Sukhumvit11. Must also be the worst maintained taxi I have ever been in, and you can count several Indian and African airports as part of my experiences. Didn't seem to be a single part of it which did not rattle and the suspension was completely gone at all 4 corners. I also thought that it was pretty Manky inside, not really seen that before here

Surely they must have some kind of annual MOT or COF type exam before being allowed on the road.

Long lines yesterday lunchtime so I nipped up to level 4. Worst mistake ever I made. The taxi had gasoline fumes inside for the whole trip to Sukhumvit11. Must also be the worst maintained taxi I have ever been in, and you can count several Indian and African airports as part of my experiences. Didn't seem to be a single part of it which did not rattle and the suspension was completely gone at all 4 corners. I also thought that it was pretty Manky inside, not really seen that before here

Surely they must have some kind of annual MOT or COF type exam before being allowed on the road.

Did you stop to think that maybe just maybe you were directly contributing to the Taxi scams everybody complains about? Nope didnt think so, you were too involved in your own selfishness. Karma bro karma. Hahahahah

Even I am aware that there is a good portion of scammers sitting in the driver seat - I hate to admit that I never experienced any bad while in a taxi from the airport and I do my average 7 drives per anno- so just damn lucky? Or do I have the confident attitude that they even wouldn't try?

Clearly you missed the Thai Visa 101 on getting a cab from level 4.

If you had done some research you would know one of the main reasons people go to level 4 is the ability to select the cab of their choice. You need to interview the driver to verify his character, hygiene and dress sense, along with a complete mechanical check of the vehicle and an inspection of the interior. Fail, and it's on to the next taxi.

HTH wai.gif

The whole ticket thing is a massive screw-up as the lines are massive.

Having said that, I have never been asked for the ticket nor have drivers refused to turn on the meter. To clarify, I am talking about Swampy, not elsewhere in town where this stuff happens all the time.

I arrived a couple of days ago and had less than 2 hrs to make my flight north from Dom Muang. I never used the Limo Service before (in past 9 years). I was shocked at the 1400 fare, but I was in the car within 2 minutes and we made the check in at DM with time to spare. Good driver and car in mint. After the amount of travelling I had done 30 quid was a bargain. I'll use them again for sure.

• Like 1

So the answer is to pay nearly 300% of the estimated metered fare to an illegally operated taxi to avoid being overcharged by 20% in a legal taxi? Interesting logic.

UBER Black operate Toyota Camrys which for the most part are licensed (White on Green plates)... Its only the unlicensed cars which are illegal (Black on white).

The Camry's are bigger, cleaner with more luggage space - they are also much safer with seat belts in the back.

I too take UBER to the airport to avoid the predictable hassles of a normal taxi - its just not worth the bother.

I jus arrived in Bangkok and have no such problems

Before I get in I tell them "meter duey" ...if they say no I smile and walk back to the queue

Never had problems ...always have them the 100baht for the toll and didn't take the 25 baht back

Always paid 50 baht above the meter price as required for my ride to the Marriott which is normally in the 200 baht meter rand traffic permitting

So in all its 350 baht max.

When I go to The Marriott I can't be bothered and don't even notice if they use the meter or not, it's a drop in the ocean compared to what my room costs.

• Like 2

I arrived a couple of days ago and had less than 2 hrs to make my flight north from Dom Muang. I never used the Limo Service before (in past 9 years). I was shocked at the 1400 fare, but I was in the car within 2 minutes and we made the check in at DM with time to spare. Good driver and car in mint. After the amount of travelling I had done 30 quid was a bargain. I'll use them again for sure.

I use them when I have lots of luggage or cannot be bothered to walk to the taxi queue. Seems a lot of money but my monthly visits to Bangkok are R&R and the limousine fare pales in comparisonbiggrin.png

Just have a look @ how SIN airport manages the taxis...

Not rocket science AND it works

Should l add, no problem with cab drivers...

Edited by Fab5BKK