suvarnabhumi airport - new taxi machines, new scam

joepublic

That trick has been happening for years. In my experience about 50% of drivers who pick you up at the airport try and chance their luck with not putting the meter on (sometimes if it's been a long flight and you're tired you might not notice till you're out on the express way) but will put on when requested.

Usually to make sure there's no complaint against them they'll ask for your ticket on exit.

With the airport rail link now in use I don't bother with taxis. Quicker and easier to take the rail link in most instances and no chance of being ripped off.

• Like 2

Where was your destination ? THB 500 may be cheaper so maybe not a scam

And that's the thing - my fare home usually ends up being around 350, and I always tip around 100, so 500 is not excessive when you consider the 50bt surcharge

However, for me, its not about the money, its about the principle of using the meter. In fact, I now take UBER to the airport, even though is extremely expensive at 1000 bt, because I just cant stand the aggravation of dealing with public cabs anymore.

Well I believe uber has been "banned" in Thailand, so your paying more and doing something which may be construe as being illegal right now or in the not too distant future

If your not worried about the price and its the principle use the airport limo service THb 1400, for a Camry, driver speaks excellent English, fully insured, road worthy, and the they drive in a civilised manner, to take you anywhere in BKK, that's what I use

Uber is only a problem if you get an unlicenced "taxi". From what I understand, UberBlack uses green plate taxis so shouldn't be an issue.

I jus arrived in Bangkok and have no such problems

Before I get in I tell them "meter duey" ...if they say no I smile and walk back to the queue

Never had problems ...always have them the 100baht for the toll and didn't take the 25 baht back

Always paid 50 baht above the meter price as required for my ride to the Marriott which is normally in the 200 baht meter rand traffic permitting

So in all its 350 baht max.

I returned to Swampy late on Saturday nite and encountered the metered taxi ticket machines for the first time too. They had some assistant there pressing the machine's button and handing the tickets to the travelers. The ticket directs you to the parking slot number for your cab. I got in and handed the ticket to the driver and said take me to Suk soi 24 and he turned on the meter and off we went. At the destination, the meter fare was about 225 and the 50 baht surcharge. I also tipped my rather aged driver another 100 baht, as he was a chatty old fella who was regaling me with stories about how he use to work with the American and Aus militaries during the Vietnam War days and could buy stuff cheap from the PX and peddle it at a high markup on the black market. Unfortunately, he said, this was no longer possible.

The system seemed efficient to me...I think you may have just got a bad driver.

• Like 1

That trick has been happening for years. In my experience about 50% of drivers who pick you up at the airport try and chance their luck with not putting the meter on (sometimes if it's been a long flight and you're tired you might not notice till you're out on the express way) but will put on when requested.

Usually to make sure there's no complaint against them they'll ask for your ticket on exit.

With the airport rail link now in use I don't bother with taxis. Quicker and easier to take the rail link in most instances and no chance of being ripped off.

I would guess that I have taken over 50 taxi trips from BKK airports into town. Not one time have I ever had a taxi driver not turn on the meter. Not ONCE. Maybe some of us are just lucky.

You know for these "land of scams" types...everything is a scam. In your case, the scam was that the taxi drivers used their meters so that you have been scammed out of the metered taxi scam experience!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 2

I had the same thing happen with the new system:

Get in the cab, drivers asks for the ticket and I gave it to him, then he asked fixed price. I said no, meter. He switched it on whithout a fuss.

It was my first time going through the new system, so I wasn't familiar with the process. In the old system, the person at the queue would write something on paper and give part to you and part to the driver. So, when the driver asked for the ticket, I (incorrectly) assumed there was something he needed off of it.

Overall, however, I have found the taxis at the airport to be OK, so I'm not ready to switch to a more expensive service to spite them.

But yes, the advice is to keep you slip from the machice with you. Do not give it to the driver. And, if the drivers asks for it, they are likely going to try to ask a fixed price instead of the meter.

5-5-5!!! Flatrates are never, ever cheaper.

Most local taxi drivers rent or own the taxi. They keep the entirety of what a meter reads so no point in not turning it on unless they want to enhance their income and charge more.

Edited by dddave

5-5-5!!! Flatrates are never, ever cheaper.

Most local taxi drivers rent or own the taxi. They keep the entirety of what a meter reads so no point in not turning it on unless they want to enhance their income and charge more.

Rubbish, on occasion in the past I have taken metered taxi,s from both airports out to Sattahip, some on the meter and some on a flat negotiated rate, and let's guess which one was cheaper ?, granted not by much, but still cheaper on the flat rate ;)

And that's the thing - my fare home usually ends up being around 350, and I always tip around 100, so 500 is not excessive when you consider the 50bt surcharge

However, for me, its not about the money, its about the principle of using the meter. In fact, I now take UBER to the airport, even though is extremely expensive at 1000 bt, because I just cant stand the aggravation of dealing with public cabs anymore.

So the answer is to pay nearly 300% of the estimated metered fare to an illegally operated taxi to avoid being overcharged by 20% in a legal taxi? Interesting logic.

Its not logic, its the principle. Im sure you don't mind the deceit and stress, but it really gets to me. Perhaps its my bad?

I totally agree - if you arrive within the operational times of the airport link and don't have much luggage - the airport link is definitely the way to go.

Even if I do get an honest cabbie who uses the meter without protest, they still drive 2 cm behind the car in front at 80 kph... I never feel safe with their lack of concern for unexpected stops by other vehicles ahead.

• Like 1

I totally agree - if you arrive within the operational times of the airport link and don't have much luggage - the airport link is definitely the way to go.

Even if I do get an honest cabbie who uses the meter without protest, they still drive 2 cm behind the car in front at 80 kph... I never feel safe with their lack of concern for unexpected stops by other vehicles ahead.

Probably means Singapore is safer for you mate ....Thailand sounds too adventurous ...

• Like 1

Taxis from the airport driving at only 80 kph... impossible laugh.png

• Like 1

I go back and forth on my love/hate relationship with BKK taxis. Compared to many other cities, the taxi fares are pretty inexpensive, even when fixed fees are asked for sometimes. For example 400 baht to the airport has been the fixed fee asking rate for the taxi mob that sits outside my condo (my condo is between two hotels and across from another). I don't mind that too much. 500 baht asked, I pass and just walk to the main street and find plenty of taxis that will go on the meter.

Like another person in this thread, I've never had a taxi driver from of the airport ask for fixed fee. It's always been meter.

But for some reason, I just got tired of using the taxis to the airport after so many years. I'm usually working in another country during the week and the taxi queues on Friday evening when I get back into Swampy are quite long sometimes. I don't want to use the Airport Link and Skytrain because when I have luggage. Not a problem on Airport link, but on a Friday early evening, Skytrain not my favorite thing to do after a long week. On monday mornings very early sometimes takes a while to get a cab. I don't like waiting to long to get to the airport.

One time when the taxi queue was long, I just got one of those AOT taxis. The SUV. There are some cheaper cars and some more expensive ones, but for some reason I like the SUV.

Now I pretty much exclusively go back and forth using the AOT. Yes it's more expensive, but it's more comfortable, the drivers are quite good, and I can call them for pickup and they are always on time. For me this method is less stress and more comfortable. Too me it's worth the extra money. That being said, in fairness, my company is picking up the travel tab. But now when I am on personal trips paying for it myself, I still am using the AOT. Much better experience for me after a long week and a flight back into BKK.

Edited by GotSeoul
  • Like 1

Probably means Singapore is safer for you mate ....Thailand sounds too adventurous ...

Yes...I too was a little concerned for the poster. I mean, consider the panic attack he's in for should he ever try to cross Sukhumvit Road!

I caught one the other day - meter was already running so I asked him to reset it. He then started complaining that my destination (Bang Na) wasn't far enough to justify his queuing at the airport. In the end I told him to either shut up or take me back to the airport and I'd report him to the authorities.

Always keep the ticket - it gives you more leverage as they know that you have their details.

Although I live in a Condo I always use a driver from Nana Hotel. He is the best.

700 / ride incl. Toll fee.

I can send him SMS from abroad with flight number and arrival time and he is always there to pick me up at Exit 3 ;)

He never has failed me in over 10 years.

thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Just my 2 cents to this Topic.

Merry Christmas!

I would guess that I have taken over 50 taxi trips from BKK airports into town. Not one time have I ever had a taxi driver not turn on the meter. Not ONCE. Maybe some of us are just lucky.

I got stitched up around 1989, filled out the card and posted it when I left the hotel to go home, and got a letter weeks later from the ministry of something-or-other telling me the driver had been called in and fined Bt1,000.

Same as you, never once since have I been taken for a ride, so to speak. That by now would be pushing 80 trips from DM and Swampy. Meter on every time. I have had to ask a few times, but never refused.

BKK taxi drivers have nothing on NYC ones. The latter have never heard of using turn signals or staying within traffic lanes.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to me yesterday on arrival at SVB, was quoted a fixed fee of THB 500. He put on the meter quickly when we complained and probably regretted it as my wife then moaned at him for 10 minutes for quoting a fixed fee. Final fare was THB 230 to Prakanong, including THB 50 surcharge. I am sure a lot of tourists will fall for it though, so the new system may not be helping with improving first impressions for some arriving visitors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the machines is they have done nothing to solve the waiting time. Huge lines yesterday morning due to just two out of three machines working. Although supposed to be self service these are operated in the main by three girls who just push the button for you.

The parking of the taxis in the bays is great but this being Thailand the designers never thought the self service machines would be taken over by the assistants so nothing has been gained.

The ticket has the taxi drivers name and info and under no circumstance should you give it to him.

The system prints another copy ticket for him to enter the allocated bay.

By the way I went up to level four and despite the one way barriers there were still tourists going the wrong way through them and taking a taxi.

Security just take a blind eye and do not interfere.

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 1