My 11 month old Ford wild track with 40,000KM is Dead and NO ONE WILL HELP,.. PLEASE HELP!

why don't you just swallow the bitter pill and wait, spending more money moving the vehicle,( with the risks that that entails) and then spending money on lawyers, give the vehicle a rest you have had three years of mileage out of it, the holidays are coming chill out,

You sound like a spoilt kid, Yes they should fix it, and they are but just not fast enough for you. hire a car with unlimited mileage with the money you save.

Hiring a car from now till end of February is going to cost a minimum of 45-50,000 baht and that'll be for a small compact. If he needs a pickup or similar sized vehicle it'll cost considerably more, possible close to double.

Toyota Yaris, 3 months rental, 17.655 Baht p.month, incl. insurance from AVIS Thailand.

Edited by BernieOnTour

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's under guarantee (2 years on engine?), drive it till it breaks.

What the garage will do is disconnect the warning lights (or take the warning bulbs out).

Easy fix.

2 years or 100,000km. Yes, this is why i was going to pick it up, ... i told Ford that i will drive it till it dies on me. They could not say no, just said it would be a bigger issue.

ok, electric tape over the lights so i do not look at them and keep on trucken... lets hope that it does not decide to die on me on the Mae Sot mountain as most of that road has no cell coverage.

Wish me luck.

Not a good idea as you have already given Ford a record of the fault's existence and they have a record of you saying you will drive it until it dies regardless. They'll just laugh at you, with justification, when you return it dead and ask for it to be repaired under warranty.

Edited by Sviss Geez

It matters not where the Vehicle was Purchased as long as its Ford, id find a Law Firm with a Brain inside the Office..

For Ford warranty it may not matter, but I would presume it will matter for the Consumer Protection Board. After all the car was bought from the dealer, an independent company from Ford Thailand. So the first point of addressing for the Board would be that dealer.

Good point, but it's not the selling dealer offering the warranty - it's the manufacturer... I wouldn't move the car *anywhere* unless the CPB were willing to back-up the action. Ford's official representatives (the servicing dealer) have already warned that moving the car would require disclaiming them of any further responsibility.

Edit: in the context of warranty service, the servicing dealer shouldn't be construed as "an independent company" but rather as "an official representative". No Thai judge would rule on the former.

Edited by IMHO

(Do not know any in TH, but maybe you do, staying already longer here)

As I understand from your description, it is not even 100% clear that this spare part is the reason for the problems..

So I would try to find an independent mechanic with up to date equipment (maybe

http://www.th.boschcarservice.com/bosch/aa/garagelocator/index.cfm/search/map/advanced/?locale=en_TH )

and let them read out the diagnostic data to get a 2nd opinion.

Edited by BernieOnTour

why don't you just swallow the bitter pill and wait, spending more money moving the vehicle,( with the risks that that entails) and then spending money on lawyers, give the vehicle a rest you have had three years of mileage out of it, the holidays are coming chill out,

You sound like a spoilt kid, Yes they should fix it, and they are but just not fast enough for you. hire a car with unlimited mileage with the money you save.

@Steve187 - The lawyer works for us full time so its not a money issue, i often choose to consult just to get an idea.

yes, the holidays are around the corner, with my current position, i am on the road every 2-3 days. Not having a truck is not an option unfortunately, so since the day it died i have been renting a Vigo. The cheapest i was able to find with insurance is 1600 a day.

i wish i was still a kid, working over here 17+ years alone, i am a little older than that but would never want the kid in me to die.

My dilemma is from experience, if you do not press you will get no where. Yes, tentatively its Feb 26, but that was after a lot of work.

OK, don't like sounding like a spoiled brat so i will rethink it all out. Thanks. A look in the mirror now and then is one of the best things IMO, so thanks!

Why on earth are you driving at 140kph when the engine warning lights are indicating potential major engine problems?

If I were you I'd hope Ford don't see that pick as it gives them an easy out from having any further involvement in a warranty claim.

Thanks for the heads up. Actually that was while Ford was testing trying to get the lights to stay off after reseting the error, so i sat in the back and snapped the shot for their record.

At 140kph you positioned yourself directly in front of the driver, close enough to picture the steering wheel hub in order to take the photo, from the back seat? Sounds very likely.

i would elaborate but its not important.

just surprised you think a 40+ year old would be that stupid.

ever seen those little guys as mechanics? I was way up in his face ... don't forget we were going thru the ... guessing game.. and if the truck actually had a problem or was it something in my wild imagination.

there is my answer but will not continue to argue, save that energy for Ford. I accept you don't believe me.

It matters not where the Vehicle was Purchased as long as its Ford, id find a Law Firm with a Brain inside the Office..

For Ford warranty it may not matter, but I would presume it will matter for the Consumer Protection Board. After all the car was bought from the dealer, an independent company from Ford Thailand. So the first point of addressing for the Board would be that dealer.

Good point, but it's not the selling dealer offering the warranty - it's the manufacturer... I wouldn't move the car *anywhere* unless the CPB were willing to back-up the action. Ford's official representatives (the servicing dealer) have already warned that moving the car would require disclaiming them of any further responsibility.

Edit: in the context of warranty service, the servicing dealer shouldn't be construed as "an independent company" but rather as "an official representative". No Thai judge would rule on the former.

Yes, that's why I said 'don't drive it yourself, transport it via towtruck or flatbed'. And yes, warranty is from Ford, but the dealer is doing the service, so I can understand why having it moved to the dealer is a logical and possibly required step.

Edited by stevenl

@Steve187 - The lawyer works for us full time so its not a money issue, i often choose to consult just to get an idea.

yes, the holidays are around the corner, with my current position, i am on the road every 2-3 days. Not having a truck is not an option unfortunately, so since the day it died i have been renting a Vigo. The cheapest i was able to find with insurance is 1600 a day.

i wish i was still a kid, working over here 17+ years alone, i am a little older than that but would never want the kid in me to die.

My dilemma is from experience, if you do not press you will get no where. Yes, tentatively its Feb 26, but that was after a lot of work.

OK, don't like sounding like a spoiled brat so i will rethink it all out. Thanks. A look in the mirror now and then is one of the best things IMO, so thanks!

I think I could get you a 2.2 wildtrack to rent for two months at half that price. nice you took the comment in the way i meant.

UPDATE 17 Dec 4pm

To my surprise, i just received a call from the GM of customer service in Thailand, based in Bangkok.

Very nice gentleman, explained he is on the case and will work on it immediately. Explained what is happening, i have a right to be upset and they will definitely find a solution very soon.

He explained the "gear top" that they are talking about is the Torque (for everyone trying to find the lost in translation part)

He will give me a detailed update and solution tomorrow. TBC. Meanwhile i got 10 missed calls from the service center so i need to call them back to see what they want tell me...

I think I could get you a 2.2 wildtrack to rent for two months at half that price. nice you took the comment in the way i meant.

"I think I could get you a 2.2 wildtrack to rent for two months at half that price"... REALLY, hmm, i would take that over Vigo any day,.. hmm seems like i am being robbed w00t.gif

"nice you took the comment in the way i meant." ... biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

A torque is not a part. It is a measurement of twisting force.

Perhaps the part is torque converter? In its most basic form a fluid coupling.

Sorry, you are right, i just called to ask, its a "Torque Control Part" that works with the gears in ratio or perhaps like you say converter. Sorry, i only know the very basics of a engine, but does that make sense?

Yes it does. It sounds like torque converter from your description. If it needs to be replaced then a rather large and expensive component. However I have my doubts it could be electronically diagnosed by the ECU for replacement.

They'd at least flush and replace the fluid before opting for replacement. Unless its sealed for life - possible, I suppose.

That being said, if the truck still drives without signs of slippage or other untoward symptoms in addition to the dash warning lights it'll unlikely do and damage to other components.

However, the risk is; that if something else does fail which could cause damage, the warning light is already on and without a scan gauge fitted, its impossible to tell if there is another problem present or developing which 'could' cause catastrophic failure.

Edited by Pomthai

Sorry, you are right, i just called to ask, its a "Torque Control Part" that works with the gears in ratio or perhaps like you say converter. Sorry, i only know the very basics of a engine, but does that make sense?

Based on your original description of the fault, it's difficult to believe the problem is just a torque converter, because you didn't report any loss of performance, weird smells, or weird sounds - and you'd imagine a faulty torque converter would do at least one of those 3.

Based on your original description of the fault, it's difficult to believe the problem is just a torque converter, because you didn't report any loss of performance, weird smells, or weird sounds - and you'd imagine a faulty torque converter would do at least one of those 3.

First - some background on exactly how this happened.

Left BKK everything was normal, no lights, no sounds.

I arrived in Nakonsawan and thats where i always fill my truck, shell station after the by pass continuing down towards Tak.

After filling the truck, it was time for my passenger to use the restroom, and as they exited the truck they said they hear a wired wushy noise. I immediately got out but did not hear it. When they came back i asked what sound, and they said it was gone but it was a scary mushy wushy kind of sound, almost like a pipe with high pressure spitting and jumping all over the place. I also opened the hood and all was normal, no oil, no loose this or that.

I then pulled out and drove normal and by the time i reached 80km, the light came on. I pulled over, checked the manual, "drive slow, etc.. and get to ford"( i mean the little wheel light with a "!" in the middle)

I tried to turn off the engine for 5 mins and even take key out to lock doors (my past BMW this would reset the error)

When starting the truck the light was still on.

I decided to be very careful and drove about 50-60km (so if you were one of those behind me flashing your lights even thought i was in the left lane, and wondering why this guy in a ford is crawling, now you know)

Arrived at Ford and as said they said it was the breath pipe or something like that.

Went out to test drive after realizing the tube was actually not damaged.

They came back with the first light that i had and another light, which was the check engine.

I did not test to see if the power was there when the lights came on, my thinking was get it safely to Ford asap, and whatever i do, do not use it to climb the Mae Sot mountain in that state or i would be stuck!!

Sorry for all the wind, but just giving as much detail as i can. So... no smell that i noticed, not sure on the power factor as i didn't dare test and well the sound, i never heard it, only the passengers account. and... well,... there is no reason why i should not believe them as right after i got the light so it was not imagination on their part although at first i was like com-on... my new ford! ATE MY THOUGHTS AND WORDS, forgot to knock on wood LOL

Converter failure is due to thrust bearing or welding failure........You will have noise........

Hi @Transam - what kind of noise, hushing or hissing or cling cling. sorry .. if at all possible, please describe what kind of noise might be heard?

Would it make any sense to be able to hear it clearest at front left tire, just above that area? Driver side i heard nothing but passenger side thought they heard it but only when outside the car and loudest near that location and it was not constant.

Below your post i also reposted the exact events to the best of my memory as passenger thought they heard something but i did not.

Sorry I have not read all the post so I'm assuming your car is still in Ford K.P.Phet.

If it's any help I live not to far from them some 3km and am willing to pop in and ask to see the car and maybe what part/s is causing the problems. At least you will be able to ascertain what's wrong + save a lot of guess work.

Ford in Thailand have no interest in after sales service and my local dealer either lies or invents reasons not to do things covered by warranty. We waited three weeks for a replacement sync system which failed within minutes of being fitted.

Sorry I have not read all the post so I'm assuming your car is still in Ford K.P.Phet.

If it's any help I live not to far from them some 3km and am willing to pop in and ask to see the car and maybe what part/s is causing the problems. At least you will be able to ascertain what's wrong + save a lot of guess work.

Hi @fredob43 - yes the truck is still there. I am expecting a call by today 5pm to come to a conclusion.

Feel free by all means if you are out to stop by, the more than merry, they will see just how many people at interested in seeing something like this resolved.

The General Manager (Expat) called me and told me he is based in BKK and very sorry and is now on my case and will call me back today without fail.

I also heard from my staff that they are holding some urgent meeting (on of the mechanics called him and told him) regarding this and most likely will have a extreme solution and that might be as quick as tomorrow.

So, that is where i am now and should be able within the next 4 hours give a much clearer picture.

Again, thank you so much for the offer, i am moved to say the least!!

Ford in Thailand have no interest in after sales service and my local dealer either lies or invents reasons not to do things covered by warranty. We waited three weeks for a replacement sync system which failed within minutes of being fitted.

Sorry to hear that, when the GM of Customer Service calls me back, will try to get an email and phone so that so of the others that are experiencing such issues could also have a solution. I hope i don't speak too soon and eat my words, but i have a good feeling about the gentleman who called me.

Edited by Maesotthailand

Hi @fredob43 - yes the truck is still there. I am expecting a call by today 5pm to come to a conclusion.

Feel free by all means if you are out to stop by, the more than merry, they will see just how many people at interested in seeing something like this resolved.

The General Manager (Expat) called me and told me he is based in BKK and very sorry and is now on my case and will call me back today without fail.

I also heard from my staff that they are holding some urgent meeting (on of the mechanics called him and told him) regarding this and most likely will have a extreme solution and that might be as quick as tomorrow.

So, that is where i am now and should be able within the next 4 hours give a much clearer picture.

No problem I will go today. Will post my report.

You don't have to be moved just pay my bill sharpish.

For some reason my post went in under yours.

For some reason my post went in under yours.

Right have just been to Fords they were very helpful.

Had a slight problem as I told them I thought that you came from Moi Sot but found out later it was registered in BKK.

The upshot is it's the gearbox that's completely shot they as I am tapping are putting in a new one should be ready by midday tomorrow well so they say.

I did ask if it was the same gearbox as fitted in the 2.2 and they said no it was a bigger one. So that's not the problem.

Not teaching to suck eggs but when you go through the mountains select a lower gear. I was told by Toyota that if I left my auto in top/drive it could overload the gearbox and reduce it's life. But 40,000km does seem a trite excessive for it to go.

Right that's the good news.

The bad news is.

I shall be sending you my bill via a PM. Failure to pay pronto and I shall be posting it all over TV.

What ever hope you get many more years of happy motoring.

Fred.