Bangkok: Problematic Red Line project way behind schedule

webfact

Problematic Red Line project way behind schedule
By Coconuts Bangkok

redline.jpg

BANGKOK: -- If you were counting the days until you could speed between Thammasat’s Rangsit campus and downtown on metro rail, you’ll have to add a few hundred more to go.

The long-delayed and dramatically named “Dark Red Line” between Bang Sue and Rangsit is way behind schedule and won’t possibly open until 2018 at the earliest, according to Transport Minister Prajin Juntong, making for a fresh delay of at least one year.

Called by some the “Hopewell revival” for hewing to a route similar to that of those abandoned concrete pillars of the original Hopewell project, which suffered an ugly end when everything went south in the late ‘90s, the project has been plagued with setbacks.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/16/problematic-red-line-project-way-behind-schedule

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-16

Not just this line, the whole of Thailands rail tracks and stations needs a major overhaul. Maybe privatization of the railways is needed. Building a strong transport system is vital as Thailand joins the Asean next year. Partnerships between Asean nations could help also to improve the rail network in exchange for help on similar ventures in their home countries. With China becoming more agressive so should the Asean community working in unison to take on the big global players.

Tell me it ain't so. This is Thailand where they will build one of the world's tallest skyscrapers. This is where quality and on-time delivery of work is paramount in the hearts and minds of all citizens. This is Thailand where everything runs on a tight schedule. How can this happen? I'm shocked.

“Hopewell revival” for hewing to a route similar to that of those abandoned concrete pillars of the original Hopewell project, which suffered an ugly end when everything went south in the late ‘90s, the project has been plagued with setbacks.

I think they meant plagued with corruption from almost all directions from start to fail.

Tell me it ain't so. This is Thailand where they will build one of the world's tallest skyscrapers. This is where quality and on-time delivery of work is paramount in the hearts and minds of all citizens. This is Thailand where everything runs on a tight schedule. How can this happen? I'm shocked.

Coming soon to Thailand.......a nuclear power plant

• Like 1

It is too bad, the metro trains and subway are excellent modes of transportation in Bangkok and the sooner more come on line the better it will be for the city. It would great to see more of these types of public transportation and less large or small BMTA buses, racing around.

way behind schedule

They seem to miss the trick of readjusting their schedule as the purple line contractors did. They are bang on schedule, even the line was supposed to be up and running a year and a half ago.

Edited by Morakot

Dark red? You mean the burgundy line? Or the way things are going, perhaps the maroon line might be more fitting.

I propose that future lines be named a little more creatively, perhaps after patterns. Let's have a polka-dot line, checkerboard line, plaid line and paisley line.