Government wants lese majeste offenders to be sent home to face justice

Lite Beer

The last thing you do when arriving for the first time in a foreign country is talk disrespectful of their monarchy, government, religion, it's common sense. Everyone knows, relax.

Some years ago a Swiss man painted a moustache on the portrait of the Thai King on a street in Chiang Mai. He was angry that there was no alcohol for sale at the Kings birthday. He got arrested and kicked out of Thailand as persona non grata. He owned a condo as well.

So lese majeste is the most extreme form of offending the King and i can understand the fact the Thai want to have them prosecuted whereever they are hiding now.

Lese majeste is a very serious crime in Thailand so i can totally understand it if they want to have them sent back to Thailand for prosecution.

It maybe a crime in Thailand but it's not a crime or even an offence anywhere else.So what ever you might "understand" - which doesn't seem very much - the chance of any Thai being extradited for LM offences is zero.

Indeed, even in the hypothetical case of a request being made, that quite apart for other reasons (see above) would in itself guarantee non extradition because of its political nature.

It's worth saying however that in the event of a Thai national overseas having committed a serious offence against the highest institution (let's say involving major theft) there are plenty of laws on the Thai statute book which can be invoked.These would mirror those in the foreign country concerned, and thus extradition could be pursued.It seems to me that in invoking LM the practical effect is to guarantee non-extradition.

Maybe extradition is impossible but i remember when mr Dubai tried to buy a house in Sydney or London they refused him to do so. Same goes for the Thai Junta at the moment.

It all is just a matter of priority's. Maybe some country's want their criminals to be extradited from Thailand and the Thai might only do it in exchange for them.

Things are going down hill I'm afraid even though this won't affect my life out here in Isaan. I am becoming worried about what is going on, I was a supporter of the guy

I have pointed out numerous times the disproportionate amount of posters who supported the coup being retirees in Issan. The thinking being their pension still rolls in once a month so little risk for them, and the opposite of what the locals believe must match them as they are so different than them.

Good to see at least one finally waking up to what this is all about. We really are down tom a hardcore of about 5 trolls who still support this dire situation thumbsup.gif

Nice condescending reply there, not quite an insult but almost. Have you forgotten what things were like before 22 May? The country was becoming an anarchy.

No it was not. Not even close. There was food in the shops, the water and electricity supplies were not cut off. Schools and hospitals for the most part functioned as normal. The Baht did not plummet. There was no exodus of terrified people to neighbouring countries using the public transport that was still running... In short, it was pretty much businesses as usual for the apparatus of society.

The 'crisis' was a manufactured one in a few areas to justify the not a coup.

Actually you are soo wrong. The baht did plummet as i have reaped the rewards for this. Some hospitals did not operate normally because of blatant attacks and bombs thrown at them.

It is business as usual now but before the coup there were thousands on the streets on the brink of a small war.

Businesses were being forced closed and Gov was being forced to relocate to operate.

I dont know what jungle you lived in during all that but you should have poked your nose into the real world before posting this

• Like 1

"I thought Thailand had those strange things called 'trials' before they decided whether someone was guilty of breaking the law or not?"

That's a bit naive. The nation is under martial law and the rule of law is prescribed by the current Provisional Charter/Constitution that gives Gen. Prayuth as Cheif of the NCPO absolute power over the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of government. And the NCPO can try people before a military court instead of a civilian court; guilt of a civilian would be a foregone decision. A decision by military trial cannot be appealed. If Gen. Prayuth says someone is guilty, there is no legal recourse in Thailand to rebut such a declaration.

• Like 2

"I thought Thailand had those strange things called 'trials' before they decided whether someone was guilty of breaking the law or not?"

That's a bit naive. The nation is under martial law and the rule of law is prescribed by the current Provisional Charter/Constitution that gives Gen. Prayuth as Cheif of the NCPO absolute power over the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of government. And the NCPO can try people before a military court instead of a civilian court; guilt of a civilian would be a foregone decision. A decision by military trial cannot be appealed. If Gen. Prayuth says someone is guilty, there is no legal recourse in Thailand to rebut such a declaration.

A good reminder. People forget they are sitting in a mousetrap at times.

He wont put up with it !!! he is having a hissy fit and a bad hair day at the same time, these damn farang governments just wont obey the leader of such an important country

Yes opposition is not good for the bloodpressure, when you are a coup-leader!!

This guy is a walking PR disaster.

• Like 2

No clearer illustration of the tiny, insular world that these people inhabit.................if he realised for a moment how utterly foolish he must appear to the international community he'd die of embarassment.

Agreed, but I too believe this may possibly be intended for the domestic audience (surely he can't be that thick?) Much like the poster who'd said his father in law blamed Abhisit for falling rice prices as he'd allowed the rest of the World to grow rice blink.png

The last thing you do when arriving for the first time in a foreign country is talk disrespectful of their monarchy, government, religion, it's common sense. Everyone knows, relax.

did you understand the article? I guess you should read again and again may be after long time you will understand it,

you cant break a law when in another country you talk about thai monarchy because you have to be in thailand,

even you would make this in thailand no other country would send you to Thailand because this thai laws are against every law in

all western countrys.

Prayuth has to take care that its not him when make a visit in Europe to get cherged an depoerted to Den Haag,

he can make his gam ein Thailand suspend the constitution and the law what would make him given the death sentence for the coup he and his fellows made. but this way not work in the rest of the world. And the next elected goverment for sure should clean up the Army.

For sure easy to find ebough for put all the generals in prison. how can be all the army generals more wealthy than in any western countrys?

May be they should ask them to let the public share there expiriences to make money so easy

Prayut promises fair trial for people who break security laws

The Nation

30250020-01_big.jpg

I notice he was wearing some very neutral colours for the announcement

Aye LOL, That shirt is GOLDEN!!!!

I am your sun, I am your happiness, I am the new shiny!!!

Be happy, bow before me and you might receive my "play with your ear" blessing.....

He is really getting weirder on a daily basis w00t.gif

I too believe this may possibly be intended for the domestic audience (surely he can't be that thick?)

He is that thick but, yes, this is for domestic consumption. Certainly the MFA know that, short of Thailand simultaneously invading and occupying Western Europe, North America and Australasia, those people aren't coming back to Thailand unless they want to. I'm no lawyer but LM seems pretty clearly to be a crime of conscience so it should surely be good grounds for seeking political asylum.

Edited by Zooheekock

The real tragic thing about the whole LM circus is, that the King himself in a speech 7-8 years ago said, that he was not above critizism since he was human and made mistakes!!

That statement was of course completely ignored by Thai officialdom, since it didn't fit their agenda, which is to keep the subjects in their place.

The LM has nothing to do with the King, but is a very dangerous political tool, used over and over again to surpress people, who don't agree with the current (and previous) leadership!!

Yep. LM in itself is an archaic law (that extends not just to the current family, but their ancestors and any other Thai monarchs not part of the Chakri dynasty) but the way it is exploited by the elite to protect themselves and try to get at their enemies (all governments not just the conservative ones are guilty of this, even Thaksin did it!) is quite sick.

If the Thais want to love their monarch then fine. I'm British and I find the obsession with such an out dated concept like the British monarchy baffling, but if people want to criticize them then they can openly in public and there is little issue. However, I think even the most ardent of royalists in The UK would be up in arms about people using laws to protect them to smear each other. I know, I know it is a different situations entirely here in Thailand but I hope that younger generations of Thais wake up to this and campaign for change.

• Like 2

Yes let's not allow people to openly express their views by A) making such an act illegal and; B) making such an act a threat to national security.

Thailand is slipping into the abyss of a draconian dictatorship where fear and poverty will keep the populace under control.

With Thailand's abysmal record on human rights and corruption this move will only reinforce the west's perception that Thailand is moving in the wrong direction and will soon be subjected to sanctions. Still that shouldn't be a problem for Thailand after all they are convinced they can live isolated from the rest of the world ... yes that's despite the fact that 80% of GDP is exports and 10% is Tourism.

I telephoned a Thai friend over the weekend and what he had to say is probably the real truth ... something that the forum admin cannot allow to be printed.

The truth will set you free ... in Thailand however the truth will get you locked up or killed.

• Like 1