Laptops in hotel rooms safe?

Trevor

You can buy a cable lock, put the laptop in your suitcase, and lock the suitcase to something in the room. I have used this method all over the world, and never had a problem. If a thief really wants in there, they can get it, but most crimes are opportunity crimes.

Trevor,

be nice to the head receptionist (even give her/him a lil´present) and he will put your laptop in staff locker room or similar safe place. As for me this has always worked and I certainly bring my computer not for work (or maybe little work) but mainly to use photoshop with all those pics I´m taking while in Los...

• 5 years later...

i have traveld wit my big toshipa laptop last 5 trips .. no worry with leving it in room

bkk ,nakhon sawan , sin city = ( pattaya ) ,udon thani & khorat

i now travel with my cute mini though as i can take it any where toshipa nb 100 .. about 1 kg if that great battry life of more than 2. 5 hours

it would fit in the hotel safes easy

downside keybord is so small even typing with one hand is hard /)

New post to an old OP but looking for similar info. I have heard that a 14inch laptop will fit on an angle into those standard room safes? any experience out there?

Yes, using an angle grinder to cut the door off because someone stuffed their laptop inside and jammed the lock.

Get a netbook.

Any advice on how to keep a laptop computer safe if no room safe and not fit in safety box of hotel? Also the best website for realistic net hotel rates? Thanks in advance.

I always use http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand.html always get the best rate, never had a problem

.As Far as leaving the laptop in the room. Uhmmm they always advise you not to leave anything of value in the room,I always have my lop top with me when i travel, so far i never had a problem , I never leave it out in the open. if i leave the room I hide it in a draw. but i guess you take your chances.

Last year I left my old 15" locked inside my luggage in the room. Earlier this year I bought a 14.1" and it fit in every in-room hotel safe that I stayed at. There was plenty of room to get it in and out, although I had to angle to get it in/out.

Last year I left my old 15" locked inside my luggage in the room. Earlier this year I bought a 14.1" and it fit in every in-room hotel safe that I stayed at. There was plenty of room to get it in and out, although I had to angle to get it in/out.

You must be a little less frugal than I am with hotels. My 14" laptop doesn't fit into most safes. Normally it's just just shy of fitting, but the more expensive hotels tend to have safes that it easily fits into.

I should mention that there's a lot of extra case past the edges of my screen. It's almost 12 inches wide though the screen is only 10 1/2 inches visible. So maybe that's part of the problem with mine since it almost makes it with many safes.

Any advice on how to keep a laptop computer safe if no room safe and not fit in safety box of hotel? Also the best website for realistic net hotel rates? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, to answer your question..

With my first laptop, I bought a couple, inexpensive but sturdy padlocks, a smaller one to fit the hold on my luggage and a second larger one. As well, a plasticized cable with with pre-made loops. I locked my laptop inside my luggage and with the cable and the second larger lock, I secured my luggage to the desk.

I will also add that I stayed in a last minute hotel on my first trip that ended up being more of a short time hotel. I am certain that after I checked-in, secured my things in the room safe, I had stepped out for a bit to eat realized I had forgot my wallet. I returned in minutes and someone had already entered my room, opened the safe and left it open. Perhaps the front desk called their accomplice to warn them I was on my way up and they rushed out forgetting to close it.

The second time, after I ate, I returned and my combination didn't work. When I called the front desk, someone was up in seconds to open the safe with a key. How convenient was that?

Nothing was taken, but then again, I didn't have much in the safe except for my passport, cell phone and travel docs.

These safe's are not 100% fool proof and it's difficult to know who's lurking in the shadows waiting for the opportunity to strike, even in the better run hotels.

In a hotel I stayed in a week earlier, the battery died on the safe. Someone from management came up and opened it manually, with a key. I waited about 20 minutes for the manager to come up.

I carry my cables and locks with me anyway in case I feel funny about something. One could also cover the access key with a very sticky adhesive label, without clogging the key hole. Perhaps even put your signature on it and photograph it. They would need to tear it off to access the key hole, and you would know for certain if someone had tried to tamper with your safe.

Edited by badcdn

my laptop has been many times to thailand, but was only not safe on the occasion I had an arugment with my thai wife, returned home from drinking to find she was not there and slung my laptop of the 8th floor of the hotel. Haven't seen it since. oops

Edited by ArranP

shit can happen.

remember that the cheapest hotels are very likely to underpay their staff...

most hotel safes can only hold netbooks.

I've got a very big (and very expensive) 17" Vaio and visited 9 hotels in the LOS so far, leaving it always either in plain view on the desk, or hidden in a luggage case.

No problems so far.

Never had any problems to leave my laptop in my serviced apartment or hotel.

I'm not more worried about theft in Thailand then back home.

If you live in a place with 24 hour security and you have a good relationship with the guards and receptionist nothing bad will happen.

Never had any problems to leave my laptop in my serviced apartment or hotel.

I'm not more worried about theft in Thailand then back home.

If you live in a place with 24 hour security and you have a good relationship with the guards and receptionist nothing bad will happen.

Good relationship with the staff makes for respect and good service. Our visits to Thailand are for a month or more. We always stay in the same serviced apartment. The security and people at the reception desk remember us because we bring goodies from Hawaii. I also give something to the cleaning girls like a few baht and chocolates. The only time we turn the room key in is when we leave town for a few days. And then we bring back fruit from our farm or buy something from the roadside stands to give to staff. Never had anything missing including laptops.

Out of sight... out of mind... and make sure to tip the cleaning staff and build up a friendly relationship. I used to slide my laptop into my luggage beneath a few clothes. It's not only losing an expensive machine that can worry one but many files, etc.

Edited by losworld