Blame-the-Chinese fever heats up after rumored vandalism at Temple of the Emerald Buddha

webfact

Blame-the-Chinese fever heats up after rumored vandalism at Temple of the Emerald Buddha
By Coconuts Bangkok

wall_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- All it took was a photo of some downed railings at the sacred Emerald Buddha Temple to set off a new surge of Sinophobia.

Twitter user @iamgoodview claimed to witness Saturday a group of Chinese tourists randomly knocking down barriers there to protect the wall murals just for fun.

He claimed that when officials intervened, the tourists just made excuses until they were told their actions were captured on CCTV, at which point they went quiet and were let off the hook.

Someone who answered the phone at the temple today declined to answer questions or confirm whether the incident happened.

Though based solely on one unverified account, the image – which could also show them lowered for another purpose – stoked the passions of anti-Chinese sentiments among Thais online, who went on to exchange stories of Chinese visitors smoking in forbidden areas and spitting on shared tables at restaurants. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/17/blame-chinese-fever-heats-after-rumored-vandalism-temple-emerald-buddha

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-17

• Like 1

Unconfirmed, Unverified *yawn*

However if there is truth to this then it looks bad for Dear Leader. Cosying up to China and all the free visas and seemingly immunity they get for misbehavior. Wouldn't want to upset our big auld ally neighbors would we?

But hey, this is coconuts. Maybe I should make a website confirming unverified sources, I'd make a fair mint.

• Like 2

First the Russians imitating monks high on drugs.

And now the Chinese (again!!)

Wonder if Thailand have started to realise, what good tourists they have scared away??

You can't just replace the in general well-behaving western tourists with a bunch of savages from the East!!

First the Russians imitating monks high on drugs.

And now the Chinese (again!!)

Wonder if Thailand have started to realise, what good tourists they have scared away??

You can't just replace the in general well-behaving western tourists with a bunch of savages from the East!!

You can say that again! At least westerners don't spit or damage sites and make scenes while they are going about collecting baby parts to ship back to their friends back home.

I have been embarrassed multiple times by fellow Westerners on tour. There's good and bad from everywhere. What gripes me is the double standards when it comes to visas for Thailand.

• Like 2

I dunno why everyone here is crapping on Russian tourists. Every time I went for a vacation in pattaya most of them behave just fine, treat somewhat annoying beach vendors with respect and generally take tour packages in groups unlike Westerners who suddenly count every penny as soon as they leave the motherland. What am I missing? An occasional basket case?

• Like 2

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

I dunno why everyone here is crapping on Russian tourists. Every time I went for a vacation in pattaya most of them behave just fine, treat somewhat annoying beach vendors with respect and generally take tour packages in groups unlike Westerners who suddenly count every penny as soon as they leave the motherland. What am I missing? An occasional basket case?

This is actually the crapping on Chinese tourists thread

With an occasional Russian for good measure.

• Like 1

AP wireless reported a Chinese tourist carved graffiti on the wall of the Parthenon, a Chinese tourist wrote his name on a statue on the Luxor temple in Egypt, a Chinese tourist vandalized the National Cathedral in Washington, DC; Chinese tourists have written graffiti on the Chinese Wall, and now they knock down barriers and thereby endangered irreplaceable cultural artifacts in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (a famous temple to Buddhists worldwide).

Rude household guests should be shown the door by way of hob-nail boot posterior applications and podiatric enemas.

vampire.gif

To spit, yock, piss in the street and restaurant is all normal Chinese behaviour, on home soil. Why change what is a given

If Thailand wants quality tourists then all it simply has to do is monitor such, in surveys and Thai opinion polls.

The answers to such polls will answer themselves, and iterate that 99.99% of Western residents/tourists are of necessary Quality.. as asked for by &lt;deleted&gt;.