Nikon Warns That There Are Fake D800E DSLRs Out in the Wild

nikond800e.jpg

Heads up: there are fake Nikon D800E DSLRs floating around. That’s according to Nikon Europe, which posted a notice “regarding fraudulent Nikon D800E digital SLR.” Apparently some unscrupulous folk are taking the D800, replacing its outer shell with the D800E cover, and selling the fake cameras through online auction sites (presumably eBay).

Nikon says that it discovered the problem when D800E owners sent their cameras in for repair. After examining the cameras, the technicians discovered that they were simply D800 DSLRs with their covers swapped with the D800E. Nikon’s warranty does not apply to these phonies, so the technicians were not able to touch the cameras further.

The D800E is a special version of the D800 that has modified innards in order to provide the sharpest possible images (at a cost of having more issues with moiré). It is generally priced at a few hundred dollars more than the D800.

Photographers who purchase a fake D800E may not be able to tell the difference between the two cameras unless they examine their photographs closely and know what to look for, since the specs are virtually identical.

So how do you tell if you purchased an actual D800E? Nikon recommends that photographers use their image playback to check:

Display an image captured with your camera in the camera monitor. When the overview* display option is enabled in full-frame playback mode, the name of the camera used to capture the image is displayed in the top right corner. If “NIKON D800E” is displayed, your camera is an authentic D800E. If any other name is displayed, your camera is a fraudulent D800E.

checking.jpg

If you purchased your camera from a third-party through a website like eBay, it might be a good idea to double check your camera’s authenticity, regardless of whether it’s a “D800E.”

Ain't eBay & the people who sell stuff on it simply wonderful?

First they said "presumably ebay". Thats a big A.S.S.umption. There are MANY on-line auction sites in the world, too many to count. There is absolutely nothing wrong with ebay, that is of course if you are living in the dark ages and dont understand the world today in 2014.

First they said "presumably ebay". Thats a big A.S.S.umption. There are MANY on-line auction sites in the world, too many to count. There is absolutely nothing wrong with ebay, that is of course if you are living in the dark ages and dont understand the world today in 2014.

OK then...let me change that to all online auction houses. Feel better now?

Happy Holidays to you & yours.

• Like 2

OK then...let me change that to all online auction houses. Feel better now?

Happy Holidays to you & yours.

Again obvious that you dont understand these "houses" but, same to you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. lol

^^^ Just a quick further explanation....If I want to buy something second hand, or for that

matter new, I go to a store (whatever it is I wanna buy) and have a look at it, a play with

it, and "test drive" it...if the product suits my demands & standards then & only then will

I hand over my cash. That's the way I am & I make zero apologies for that. I know many

people buy from these websites similar to eBay and have had really good luck with what

they bought...I also know many people who have even resorted (one in particular) to

notifying the police as the amount spent & item not up to par constituted fraud. One

colleague even got the FBI in on a case of interstate fraud...something he bought off

eBay...camera kit. Everybody wants to save money these days and so do I...I don't

buy anything on-line. Period. A lot less hassle in reality. Plus I live in LOS and why in

the hell would I wanna pay customs duty on a second hand item should HM's Customs

say I need to pay?

Happy Holidays