Change Coming Back In Single Baht Coins

bkkmadness

look at the post again .... I didn't discuss a 'service charge' ... as it is part of the bill. At least when there is a 10% s.c. it keeps people from being too cheap!

and a s.c. is not the same as a ip ... it is a charge ... part of the bill ... a tip is discretionary

Edited by jdinasia

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tipping in thailand is not required. many thais will usually leave a few baht, as a "gesture" of generosity. at upscale establishments a service charge is included, which should translate as "tip included". this is the standard.

Not exactly accurate ....

Tipping is not required/standard in exclusively Thai places. In More up-scale places it is customary, particularly in places frequented by farang. Salaries in places that tipping is expected tends to be lower and tipping is pooled ... more often than not if you leave your tip INSIDE the folder that your bill comes in it goes to a pool to b divided amongst the employees. However if you take part or all of it out of the folder and place it on top that portion goes directly to the person picking up the change.

forgive me if i am misunderstanding. universally,a service charge is understood as exactly the same as a tip. if thailand has it's own esoteric system, then that is up to them. a "folder" is meant to "hold" the gratuity, if any.

You dont go out much when your not in Thailand do you...

lol

tipping in thailand is not required. many thais will usually leave a few baht, as a "gesture" of generosity. at upscale establishments a service charge is included, which should translate as "tip included". this is the standard.

Not exactly accurate ....

Tipping is not required/standard in exclusively Thai places. In More up-scale places it is customary, particularly in places frequented by farang. Salaries in places that tipping is expected tends to be lower and tipping is pooled ... more often than not if you leave your tip INSIDE the folder that your bill comes in it goes to a pool to b divided amongst the employees. However if you take part or all of it out of the folder and place it on top that portion goes directly to the person picking up the change.

forgive me if i am misunderstanding. universally,a service charge is understood as exactly the same as a tip. if thailand has it's own esoteric system, then that is up to them. a "folder" is meant to "hold" the gratuity, if any.

You dont go out much when your not in Thailand do you...

lol

we do not use service charge in the u.s. that is why we tip.

When restaurants levy a 10% service charge, tipping is not required.

If you go to Europe you will find this to be true.

I know that, even though, when I am being treated nice, I am tipping accordingly and when I say being treated nice nice means being treated like a normal person.

And Donz, I do tip and many times I get the angry looks from some fellow farangs. I never look at the service charge, I tip anyways, but when I get a smiling face rubbing his/her hands at the joke he/she pulled on me by giving me 30 or 40 baht in 1 baht or 5 baht coins, I just can't resist not to take every satang from the black book. Eventually all the change goes to the donation boxes or to the beggars from the street, at least they need it more than them. It's not a money thing, it's just a principle.

Oh well, w h atever floats your boat.

I tip coz i just like to do it, even bad service i will tip, but nothing really bothers me much, im always happy and just dont take notice of things like some of you guys do.

Talking about floating boats.....i'm surprised the quadruple pricing system hasn't been adopted here .

In Paris a coffee can have four different prices depending where you sit / stand...at the bar, near the the bar, sit on inside table, sit on outside table.

How does that grab you :o

Never happened to me and never heard of it happening to any of my buddies either.

Soon you will be having the same problem with the new 2 baht coin.

Anyway ,if it does happen to you once then you can say they may be stuck to give you the change in the correct denominations. If it happens again in the same place then it is obvious what they are up to you tip or don`t tip, you go back or you don`t go back.

P.S Oej: I know you always sit in the cheap seats. :o

Oh well, w h atever floats your boat.

I tip coz i just like to do it, even bad service i will tip, but nothing really bothers me much, im always happy and just dont take notice of things like some of you guys do.

lovely reply donz,

remember to follow through when you hit the punt00000000000ers with the old one, two, three.

btw. did you learn why there's sand on the ground ? :D

cricky's mate , if you need some top answers when you ponder thing's like that just ask my top self as were like kin mate.

bloody cracking good aussie's.

cheers mate :D:o