Air con vs ceiling fan

scubascuba3

We're all individuals with different needs and levels of comfort. When I purchased and refurbished my 100 sq/m (high-rise) corner-condo right on the beach side I purposely omitted installing any aircodition units but made sure that all windows and balcony doors are fitted with insect screens. The prevailing ocean breezes together with ceiling and wall fans (9 units) are doing their job quite nicely. During cool spells all fans are switched off and we sleep comfortably at about 27-28 degrees C. The frequent ocean winds seem to keep the huminity down to an acceptable level during the warm season. Never missed an aircon since moving to the tropices in 1975 and still find it easy to sleep with fan at about 30-32 degrees C without sweating.

sweating like a pig is good for health.

it burns fat, weight loss, expel toxins, kill virus, clean pores.... this is the reason why USA is obese while afghans & Russian women are slim.

say no to drug and a/c.

Well according to this article which lists the 50 countries with the heaviest women, U.S. woman do average 166 lbs and are the 4th heaviest in the world. And those "slim" Russian women weigh a mere average 163 lbs coming in as the 8th heaviest in the world.

post-55970-0-67296500-1419480430_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've lived in the tropics for the past 20 years, the last 10 of them in here in Phuket. I still don't understand how people are comfortable with a setting of 26C. No wonder your electricity bills are low, AC isn't going to be doing very much work at all with that high a set point. 21-22 for sleeping and 23-24 during the day is a more realistic comfort level for me at least. Maybe its an english tthing, were more accustomed to being cold and therefore prefer a cooler climate overall.

all my aircons are set to 26ºC but my electricity bills are not exactly low:

may..........20,747.-

june.........19,950.-

july...........20,683.-

august.....19,411.-

currency Thai Baht not Viet Nam Dong! alt=whistling.gif>

How many is 'all' Naam?

17 in the main house, 2 in the staff house.

Wow. Did you go round and count them yourself, or did you send the butler? smile.png

If you set the aircon to dehumidify mode the humidity will drop and the temperature will stay about the same but it will feel like the temp dropped about 10 deg.

The aircon will use much less electricity in dehumidify mode.

make that drop 2ºC please and note that the aircon does not use much less electricity during dehumidification mode. the savings are caused that after dehumidifying you need less compressor running time to maintain a comfortable environment.

I'm not going to make that drop 2°C as that makes no sense.

30°C at 90% humidity is equal to an apparent temperature of 41°C.

The A/C in dehumidify mode will drop the temperature to about 28°C and the humidity to about 60%.

28°C at 60% humidity is equal to an apparent temperature of 29°C.

The esult is that it will feel like a 12°C drop in temperature, not 2°C as you suggest.

“Much” is relative. To me 30-50% less electricity used is much, to you it could mean next to nothing.

Edited by pattjock

The A/C in dehumidify mode will drop the temperature to about 28°C and the humidity to about 60%.

i admire your applied thermo-physics maths. would you be kind enough and calculate the apparent temperature @52ºC and 99% humidity?

I've lived in the tropics for the past 20 years, the last 10 of them in here in Phuket. I still don't understand how people are comfortable with a setting of 26C. No wonder your electricity bills are low, AC isn't going to be doing very much work at all with that high a set point. 21-22 for sleeping and 23-24 during the day is a more realistic comfort level for me at least. Maybe its an english tthing, were more accustomed to being cold and therefore prefer a cooler climate overall.

may..........20,747.-

june.........19,950.-

july...........20,683.-

august.....19,411.-

How many is 'all' Naam?

You cannot just compare the temperature settings without knowing what temperature you are talking about.

Most A/C have one temp sensor in the A/C wall unit and another sensor in the remote control. Most A/C can be set to a temperature using the sensor in the wall unit or the sensor in the remote control.

The wall unit is normally close to the ceiling and the remote control close to the sleeping position, closer to the floor. There will normally be a temperature difference between ceiling and floor and this could in some cases be over 10°C.

So a setting of 21°C using the remote control sensor could, in some cases, be the same as a setting of 26°C if using the wall unit temperature sensor.

may..........20,747.-

june.........19,950.-

july...........20,683.-

august.....19,411.-

How many is 'all' Naam?

Wow. Did you go round and count them yourself, or did you send the butler? smile.png

i planned them (5 different capacities), had them installed and... last not least i paid for them. that's why i know the exact number wink.png

i admire your applied thermo-physics maths. would you be kind enough and calculate the apparent temperature @52ºC and 99% humidity?

How would one feel with that? Not a thing: dead.

Not if it was all happening in a Cat 5 hurricane.. well, not dead from the apparent temp at least :P

i experienced temperatures >50ºC more than once in Saudi Arabia's Eastern Province albeit accompanied by much lower humidity during daytime. but 2-3 hours hours after sundown with temperatures still in the 40s and humidity shooting up so high that it condensed on tree leaves and fell like a drizzle was worse.

i experienced temperatures >50ºC more than once in Saudi Arabia's Eastern Province albeit accompanied by much lower humidity during daytime. but 2-3 hours hours after sundown with temperatures still in the 40s and humidity shooting up so high that it condensed on tree leaves and fell like a drizzle was worse.

I assume this interesting event was with clear skies after sundown, the leaves and the ground cooling faster than the air? This is unusual, the high humidity generally impedes outward radiant cooling so you don't get condensation, for example in Bangkok.

I assume this interesting event was with clear skies after sundown, the leaves and the ground cooling faster than the air? This is unusual, the high humidity generally impedes outward radiant cooling so you don't get condensation, for example in Bangkok.

i'm not sure what the reason was and always thought it was the proximity to the Gulf waters (Dammam / Al Khobar / Dharan area). driving in a summer evening/night always required windshield wipers and electric heated rear window switched on.

that reminds me of a stupid question i asked when i was a newbie arriving in november and asking "why the nonsense of heated rear windows in the cars?"

• 4 weeks later...

Please with dehumidifiers, you are aware that most of the time some dehumidification occurs when using an air conditioner. This simply occurs when warm wet air hits the evaporator and it is below the dew point for condensation to form. The temp of the coil is usually far below this point in order to absorb sufficient heat from the room via forced convection onto the coil, thus effectively will reduce the moisture in the air.

However if you have a dedicated dehumidifier or feature on an aircon unit, just be aware that this feature is best used to a point then switched off. As once the humidity drops a fair amount, the heat being added to the room will be more difficult to offset with the reduction in water being extracted from the air inside the rooms. They aren't terribly efficient in most cases if you use them constantly, though the higher the humidity the more effective they are.

• 2 months later...

When calculating the cost of running aircon you should add on the monthly average of the maintenance cost and replacement costs, if you own the aircons. I have 4 aircons with a monthly cost between B4,000 and B8,500/month with average around B6,000/month or B72,000/year. However maintenance which includes cleaning, repairs and topping up the gas is around B8,000/year. Replacement costs say every 10 years is around B100,000 = B10,000/year so my yearly cost is B90,000 or B7,500/mth(25%higher). So you should add 25% to the electricity bill to obtain your true costs/mth.

8000 Baht a year cleaning for 4 aircons? You have them cleaned monthly?

A airconditiong shouldn't need topping up, ever. If that happens there are bigger issues.

just had a 1st service, 1 year old 16,000 btu unit from where i bought it, 3 guys, done in 1h and charged me 500 baht. u serious dude???