Thai passport office - Ubon ?

phusingpete

My family got theirs last year no problem. All regional offices were shut down during the protests early this year which created a nightmare for people like Memock but I would assume they are back to normal now.

15°13'48.02"N, 104°51'10.28"E

See it on Google Maps here.

They have a Facebook Page here.

More info in Thai here with pics.

Edited by ubonrthai

What a nightmare it was indeed! I still shudder when I think what we had to do to renew passports last year. I do hope that they are up and running again. They were very quick and helpful when I last used them.

They have been up and running for a year now.

What a nightmare it was indeed! I still shudder when I think what we had to do to renew passports last year. I do hope that they are up and running again. They were very quick and helpful when I last used them.

They have been up and running for a year now.

I think he is writing about the fiasco earlier this year when the main passport office at the Consular Affairs Department was shutdown because of the protests earlier this year not opening the new office here in Ubon.

When did they move from the downtown location, green building??

Only took 10 days to get new passport.

Dunno, within the last year or so I believe - but passports only take 6-7 days now. Probably 5-6 if you are in Meuang Ubon - my wife's return EMS came on the 7th day but it had languished in Kantharalak post office for the last 36 hours of that and had arrived Ubon within 4 days (you can track it on the Thai Post website).

I would still allow a couple of weeks if you are coming up to a journey. Several people have reported 7 days or less but there might be some seasonal variation.

Very impressive piece of Thai bureaucracy - if only the dreaded UK government took a user-friendly approach like Thailand ("bring your documents, just sit down we'll do the photo and complete the forms for you, thanks - now please pay ThB 1,040 over there, you'll get the replacement 5year passport within 7 days"). You do have to visit the appropriate regional centre though, no postal option for sending in documents.

Getting Thai passports is a piece of cake, you ought to worry about getting your UK visa's from the Embassy!!

HL

My wife has been to England three times in the past, never had a problem, so keep my fingers crossed. This time I hope to take our 7 year old daughter with us. We only want to stay for 4 weeks during my daughters scool holiday.

Thank you for all your help and advice guys, much appreciated.

Getting Thai passports is a piece of cake, you ought to worry about getting your UK visa's from the Embassy!!

HL

My wife has been to England three times in the past, never had a problem, so keep my fingers crossed. This time I hope to take our 7 year old daughter with us. We only want to stay for 4 weeks during my daughters school holiday.

HL

My wife has been to England three times in the past, never had a problem, so keep my fingers crossed. This time I hope to take our 7 year old daughter with us. We only want to stay for 4 weeks during my daughters school holiday.

I wasn't necessarily talking about problems just about the drawn out rigmarole that you have to go through to prove they intend coming back to Thailand. My wife has been with me three separate times so far but I still hate the system.

HL

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed HL. I bought a 5 year UK visa for my wife at some extortionate cost knowing that I will probably not get the full value that 5 separate visits would provide. I don't care what the premium is to avoid all that paperwork. The sponsor's financial proof bit is a royal P.i.t.A., unless your resources are limited to one or two bank accounts. Apart from the benefits of knowing what to expect it doesn't get any better for subsequent VFS visits!

It's one of the few things in Thailand that stressed me out. Taking our unofficially adopted daughter as well one time was near enough to drive me to insanity - involved chasing separated natural parents and their house-books, ID cards and signatures all over the northern and eastern parts of Thailand facepalm.gif. Dickensian-style family relationships within the Thai family matrix clashes big time with modern travel identity bureuacracy!