We're still rolling in Bangkok, embattled Uber says

webfact

We're still rolling in Bangkok, embattled Uber says
By Coconuts Bangkok

uber.black_.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Uber sought to dismiss rumors it had ceased operations in Thailand following a government declaration it was operating illegally.

In a message posted online, the U.S.-based ride-share service said it is continuing to operate while in discussions with authorities over regulations it was said to be violating.

"Over the last few weeks there have been numerous reports that Uber has ceased operations in Thailand," it read. "This is not true. ... As our conversations with various government agencies continue, let us make it clear that Uber is deeply committed to providing Thai consumers with access to safe, reliable, and affordable transportation alternatives."

Earlier this month, the head of the Department of Land Transport said it banned Uber's use of unlicensed "black plate" vehicles, which link customers with private drivers under their “UberX” brand, citing safety concerns and a lack of regulation.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/19/were-still-rolling-bangkok-embattled-uber-says

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-19

READ MORE: Uber continues to operate in Thailand

Whatever... The Uber situation still has many things to work out including insurance/bonding and safety as well as peak fare issues. I hope they can still survive with their business model. Different cultures (like Thai) will interpret this concept as either friendly or fiendish. Good luck Uber.

• Like 1

Have they started screening drivers for rape convictions after what happened in Delhi and Boston last week?

How many rapes/sexual assaults do you think occur weekly committed by drivers of "normal" taxis in BKK?
Are you saying that its ok for über drivers to rape because other drivers do it?

Pathetic version of this happens every where argument.

Screen all drivers of all forms of public transport would be my solution rather than your puerile defence of uber.

Edited by Bluespunk

The only good remarks you will get are from people who have a vested interest in uber.trust me they are throwing money at this all over the world. Welcome to corporate America dont be fooled by their agenda.

I promote Uber to everyone I know that has a car, even promote it to friends that have their own driver. Why so? Well I use Uber and I am super happy with the service they provide, the manner of the drivers are way above the drivers I've had previously, so much so that I considered trying to poach their driver to use for myself, but then I think again, why not just use Uber for the trips that arent convenient for me to drive myself, parking, drinking... Taking a taxi wasn't ever a consideration.

Actually you are correct where you say the only good remarks will come from those with a vested interest. I'm interested in having Uber always available for my use, so thats a vested interest.

• Like 2

Taxis usually, in west at least, have commercial insurances. Interesting to see who is going to pay when private cars have accidents and paying customers are severely injured or disabled.

The issue with Uber in Thailand (and in many other places that are "banning" it) is that some drivers aren't licenced to carry paying passengers.

Taxis in the west have insurance, but private cars carrying paying passengers don't.

Have they started screening drivers for rape convictions after what happened in Delhi and Boston last week?

How many rapes/sexual assaults do you think occur weekly committed by drivers of "normal" taxis in BKK?

Probably 50 times more than the Uber guys who pick me up in their black suits and treat me like a guest at a 5 star hotel.

• Like 1

The only good remarks you will get are from people who have a vested interest in uber.trust me they are throwing money at this all over the world. Welcome to corporate America dont be fooled by their agenda.

I promote Uber to everyone I know that has a car, even promote it to friends that have their own driver. Why so? Well I use Uber and I am super happy with the service they provide, the manner of the drivers are way above the drivers I've had previously, so much so that I considered trying to poach their driver to use for myself, but then I think again, why not just use Uber for the trips that arent convenient for me to drive myself, parking, drinking... Taking a taxi wasn't ever a consideration.

Actually you are correct where you say the only good remarks will come from those with a vested interest. I'm interested in having Uber always available for my use, so thats a vested interest.

There are many people in Bangkok, myself included, who give Uber good remarks because we are happy with the superior service they provide. I just got back to Bangkok two days ago after being away for one month, and I was very happy to still be able to have a nice Uber ride from the airport, and another Uber ride today. I'm very relieved that they are still operating in Bangkok because they do contribute to a better quality of life for me while I'm here.

<deleted>. I use uber on nights out. Never yet been disappointed.

4:20 am call out on uber from lower suk to suvarnabhumi. Car there in 10 minutes, tolls included in fare, was at the airport at 5:05.

driver was brilliant helped my kid and i with our bags, water in back seat armrest, leather seats.

no bickering over fares, no money to hand over, no fumbling over change, no tip expected.

in short, a godsend.

• Like 2

You made me laugh now. Vested interest. Are you kidding me!

Do you understand the concept of people promoting something because they have used it many times, they have had excellent service and they want to let other people know just how good it is.

4:20 am call out on uber from lower suk to suvarnabhumi. Car there in 10 minutes, tolls included in fare, was at the airport at 5:05.

driver was brilliant helped my kid and i with our bags, water in back seat armrest, leather seats.

no bickering over fares, no money to hand over, no fumbling over change, no tip expected.

in short, a godsend.

Out of interest. How much? Was it a green plate limo?

Probably 50 times more than the Uber guys who pick me up in their black suits and treat me like a guest at a 5 star hotel.

So your suggesting that Bangkok taxi drivers rape 50 people a week!!!!

• Like 1

Are you suggesting that an Uber guy, in a black suit treating passengers like a guest at a 5 star hotel, is raping someone once a week?

• Like 1

Can anybody confirm uber drivers status regarding insurance to carry fare paying passengers?

Uber says on their website that they insure their drivers (https://www.uber.com/safety). Going a bit deeper, it indicates that the insurance is only available in the US (http://blog.uber.com/ridesharinginsurance).

Where ever Uber has been "banned", the authorities always raise the issue of insurance. Any licenced taxi will be insured since they are licenced to carry paying passengers. It's the cars that aren't taxis or aren't licenced to carry paying passengers that seems to be the problem.

If they aren't licenced to carry paying passengers then the normal car insurance will not cover them. I doubt that casual "taxi" drivers would go out and get special insurance.

• Like 1

Cheers. I was wondering because when I was a lad my friends dad had a company who used to run the rural kids to school who were outside the school bus route and his vehicles were insured as such. One of the parents thought theyd have a piece of.the action and undercut him by just using their car to ferry the kids but were told in no.uncertain terms that it was illegal

Edited by mca

Can anybody confirm uber drivers status regarding insurance to carry fare paying passengers?

I believe that UBER Black use green plate limousines. These SHOULD have commercial insurance. That's why I keep asking users IF they are green plate or not.. if yes then UBER Black are using limousines NOT taxis!!!

• Like 1

Are you suggesting that an Uber guy, in a black suit treating passengers like a guest at a 5 star hotel, is raping someone once a week?

Right- The equation needs one Uber driver times 50 to equal 50 Bangkok drivers committing rape. Otherwise, zero multiplied by 50 is zero.

However, it does happen. Maybe not outright rape, but harassment and assault of female passengers. Just about every Thai woman I know is hesitant or outright afraid to travel alone in a taxi at night.

I would certainly be more comfortable sending my Ms. in a taxi such as Uber that has been specifically called for her and have a record of the journey as opposed to the risk of a creepy driver flagged off the street.

• Like 1

Right- The equation needs one Uber driver times 50 to equal 50 Bangkok drivers committing rape. Otherwise, zero multiplied by 50 is zero.

However, it does happen. Maybe not outright rape, but harassment and assault of female passengers. Just about every Thai woman I know is hesitant or outright afraid to travel alone in a taxi at night.

I would certainly be more comfortable sending my Ms. in a taxi such as Uber that has been specifically called for her and have a record of the journey as opposed to the risk of a creepy driver flagged off the street.

True. Because UBER Black are limousines not taxis. At I believe Limousine rates. No?