European court gives UK visa direction

Well, this is something I have been waiting for! Justice at last?

It was hard work to get my wife registered in Spain and hopefully we can soon take a holiday in the UK and let my family meet my wife!

Whoop whoop whoop!!!!!

(Fingers crossed for next summer when we will test it!)

The UK cannot block family members who are originally from outside Europe but now live in the EU

entering the country without a visa, European judges say.

They were ruling on the case of Spain-based Sean McCarthy, a dual British and Irish national, and his Colombian wife.

The couple argued she should be able to travel to the UK to see her British family without applying for a permit.

The BBC's Danny Shaw said the decision could open up UK borders to other non-EU nationals living in Europe.

A Downing Street spokesman said Prime Minister David Cameron disagreed with the ruling.

More on the story here:- http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30528189

Does Cameron really think anyone believes there are any votes in this type of immigration control?

The issue is EU mass immigration, not wives of spouses.

Sorry but I don't understand your comment.

The ruling says this is for folk living in the EU, they may visit.....

Not relocate to the UK so I do not see that such a ruling would open the door to mass immigration.

Personally, I left the UK for good in 2000 and registered as a resident of Spain in 2004.

I have no wish to return to live the UK,

I do not own property in the UK, but I still pay my taxes there on pensions created with money earned in the UK, so I accept that as fair enough.

My life and assets are in Spain and now part time on holiday in Thailand and any other countries we care to visit for holidays.

Resident means spending more than 180 days per year in the country of residence.

Not wishing to be rude, but do you hope that my wife can visit the UK, visa free or not?

This is topic number 4 on this item... Ofcourse it's exciting news that the UK finally is forced to abide the rules (treaty) they themselves agreed upon but particulary when a great newsitem is announced it's rather likely that a topic has been made already, not? ;)

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/785187-european-court-of-justice-ruling-re-family-visitors-to-the-uk/

Perhaps ToG can merge/move your posts/close this topic.

Key element is that the wife already lives inside the EU. The rulling does not apply to persons with a foreign spouse that doesn't live in a EU-country.

For people living with a spouse in Thailand for instance the ruling does not have any effect.

This is topic number 4 on this item... Ofcourse it's exciting news that the UK finally is forced to abide the rules (treaty) they themselves agreed upon but particulary when a great newsitem is announced it's rather likely that a topic has been made already, not? wink.png

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/785187-european-court-of-justice-ruling-re-family-visitors-to-the-uk/

Perhaps ToG can merge/move your posts/close this topic.

Maybe,maybe not?

The topic you mention seems to be written from the point that there will be mass immigration to the UK.

My point is rather more focused on Spain and my situation.

Up to the mods to decide.