When you first came to Thailand - do you remember where you stayed?

David48

Arrived Bkk May 1985, got railroaded to some guesthouse near Sathorn. Can't remember a thing about it other than workers were still constructing the place and welding a gate without safety glasses, and the guv chewing out the staff for allowing a French drug addict to stay there. Later trip stayed at the Malaysia Hotel. The less said about this one-time institution, the better.

The notorious Boston Inn??

The Malaysia Hotel was upmarket compared to the Boston Inn.

Both were smackhead joints but the Malaysia had private rooms the Boston had dorm rooms 50 baht a night if I remember.

Arrived Bkk May 1985, got railroaded to some guesthouse near Sathorn. Can't remember a thing about it other than workers were still constructing the place and welding a gate without safety glasses, and the guv chewing out the staff for allowing a French drug addict to stay there. Later trip stayed at the Malaysia Hotel. The less said about this one-time institution, the better.

The Malaysian hotel..What a dump. I made the mistake of staying there once around 85 I think. The toilet walls had smear marks where someone had used them as toilet paper, snot on the curtains...

They were filming a vietnam war movie at the time. The movie people controlled when we could walk out the hotel and when checking out we were made to squat down behind reception as they were filming.

The Malaysian hotel..What a dump. I made the mistake of staying there once around 85 I think. The toilet walls had smear marks where someone had used them as toilet paper, snot on the curtains...

They were filming a vietnam war movie at the time. The movie people controlled when we could walk out the hotel and when checking out we were made to squat down behind reception as they were filming.

Could be wrong but I think it was The Deehunter that was filmed there.

not in '85

Chaweng Garden Resort....on a whim...after drinking half a dozen beers at the bar outside Don Muang....the tour guy thought Samui would suit me.....he was right.

That's where i stayed too, the first time. And the second, and the third and the fourth...!!

I think it was about 12 years ago the first time. I hear it's gone all posh now.

Edited by Patsycat

I do remember that ,i got a phone call from a girl i met and came back 6 weeks later , eventually stayed then went into partnership in bangkok with someone i met through a friend ,and used to fly back and for all the time ,after a few years i met my now wife through buisness and have been happily married to her both here and in the UK , The girl who phoned me is now married with children and the hight of respectability,we are still friends ,she lives in The UK and is married to a well off guy, i have mentioned this before(that we are still friends) my wife also knows her ,funny old world ,i only came here by accident ,originally i was going to go to the Phillapines, hardly knew anything about either place ,

unsure.png Dynasty Inn. The Green Hotel at Nana.

I think I stayed there the second time also.

Nice place to sit outside and watch the moveable feast stroll by.

Anyone else stayed there recently? Any Good?

That's where I usually stay when in Bangkok and have stayed many times over twenty year period. Last time was about 2 years ago and they renovated the back part and it was very nice. So back building, upper floors is perfect for me.

My first stop in Thailand as an 18 year old, slap bang in the middle of Patong

Stayed here

http://www.royalparadise.com

I remember calling my parents to tell them I was in Thailand, they went nuts, as they thought I was safely tucked up in Singapore for the summer.

Amazing I can still remember that trip, was an absolute belter with my mate who got a week off from National Service in Singapore.

The notorious Boston Inn??

Why notorious? It was so respectable even the cockroaches wore shoes. :) Yeah, a real dump - but it was in Soi sribumphen, about 100m from the Malaysia and the much lamented Blue Fox. The whole of Ngam Duphli was a hive of drug addicts, con men, gunna-be adventurers, dreamers, two-bit novellists in waiting and life's observers like myself. A fascinating place at times.

Honey hotel in bkk

Suk soi 19?

Me too. It was fairly rough and ready but the preferred hotel for many working in seismic exploration in the 80s.

Pattaya: my tilac at the time knew a security guard at some condos near what is now bali high/go kart track area so we got to stay in an empty room for free! Top floor of what, I think, was the highest building in Pattaya at the time.

stayed at my mates farm just outside surin, i had just got divorced in the uk, really pissed off and all that,,

stayed there for a week, when he said pack your bag

i said you chucking my out,?

he said get in the truck,

drove me to pattaya,

droped me outside the sunshine hotel on soi8, he said stay there, the corrol reef bar was strait acorss the road owned by a bloke from gainsborough too called phill,

i had worked for his dad,,

that night i went across the road, phil said jake what you doing here,,?

i had landed in heaven,,

what divorce,,

stayed at my mates farm just outside surin, i had just got divorced in the uk, really pissed off and all that,,

stayed there for a week, when he said pack your bag

i said you chucking my out,?

he said get in the truck,

drove me to pattaya,

droped me outside the sunshine hotel on soi8, he said stay there, the corrol reef bar was strait acorss the road owned by a bloke from gainsborough too called phill,

i had worked for his dad,,

that night i went across the road, phil said jake what you doing here,,?

i had landed in heaven,,

what divorce,,

Mate, nice story which I'm sure has echoes through out the Forum.

not in '85

My mistake I meant The Killing Fields. That was filmed in BKK but was released in '84 so it probably wasn't that.

I could have got the year wrong. 85 - 87 was a bit of a Mekong coke blur in those days.

Why notorious?

It became a total smack den where dealers weren't too bothered with quality or hygiene, and the coppers were happy to get their kickbacks daily. In the 80's and 90's they had literally ''a corpse a week'' being reported in the BKK Post. Staying at the Boston became another stop on the proto Banana Pancake Trail during that era. The Malaysia was for pervies, the Boston for druggies and drunks....

Wasn't the Killing Fields filmed at the old Railway Hotel (Now the Centara) in Hua Hin? I know they filmed a lot of the street shots in Bangkok but I understand that was in and around Makkasan and Samsen (the evacuation of the city was Samsen)

Doing a bit of a search and I see Good Morning Vietnam was filmed in Bangkok. The movie was released in 1987.

I remember the front fence of the Malaysian hotel had sandbags and razor wire and over to the right as you entered were jeeps etc.

Across the road was the Blue oyster bar which i remembered from the Police Academy movie. The name was enough for me not to enter it. .

They've remodelled and rebranded since then, but this is how I recall Dusit Resort in 96 :

swimming-pool-03.jpg

I expect that it was a big deal when they opened it in '87 - I still think the gardens are beautifully kept, if slightly more in keeping with the 'hill station' style popular in Chiang Mai than the tropical exuberance afforded by the Dusit's latitude.

Why notorious?

It became a total smack den where dealers weren't too bothered with quality or hygiene, and the coppers were happy to get their kickbacks daily. In the 80's and 90's they had literally ''a corpse a week'' being reported in the BKK Post. Staying at the Boston became another stop on the proto Banana Pancake Trail during that era. The Malaysia was for pervies, the Boston for druggies and drunks....

Wasn't the Killing Fields filmed at the old Railway Hotel (Now the Centara) in Hua Hin? I know they filmed a lot of the street shots in Bangkok but I understand that was in and around Makkasan and Samsen (the evacuation of the city was Samsen)

Yeah they'd get off the plane go straight to the Boston and OD. They'd been used to 10% H per gram but they were getting the real thing there.

Can't really comment on the movie but the Blue Fox was the classic dive bar. It's a 7-11 now.

1962 leave to Bangkok from Udorn base.

Stayed at the Nana Hotel. Up till about 15 years ago some of the original staff were still there, reminisced about the old days.

Surrounded by rice fields, bad roads and basically Sukhumvit ended/began there at the rail road tracks.

1962 leave to Bangkok from Udorn base.

Stayed at the Nana Hotel. Up till about 15 years ago some of the original staff were still there, reminisced about the old days.

Surrounded by rice fields, bad roads and basically Sukhumvit ended/began there at the rail road tracks.

I think some of the original working girls are still working the bar area next to the lifts. Little wonder they're happy to give you the free drink coupon on arrival ;)

Seriously, you'd be horrified to see what has become of lower Suk over the last few years - it's gone downhill big time IMO. I used to wonder what places like the Grace Hotel were like in their heyday - now I just try to minimise my time in that part of the world and leave those thoughts to the history buffs.