When you first came to Thailand - do you remember where you stayed?

David48

The Mandarin in Rama 4 in 86. learnt a lot in the first few days like where the Star of Siam was and Patpong Road. Also learnt not to get a Tuk Tuk right outside of the Hotel but walk to the end of the block . Then second time was the Nana and then the Golden Palace was home for a few years when i was in town.

Then went down to Pattaya and stayed in the Siam Bayview . Stayed a few days in the room as i stupidly ate chicken from the street. .

The first time was full of learning experiences . Haven't stopped learning .

May I say, to the person who voted this and many of my topics '1 star', it's childish and you get boring after a while.

You know who you are and, from a friendly contact ... so do I.

Let's just leave at that ... but cut out the childish behaviour ... it doesn't suit someone who has been around the Forum a bit.

May I say, to the person who voted this and many of my topics '1 star', it's childish and you get boring after a while.

You know who you are and, from a friendly contact ... so do I.

Let's just leave at that ... but cut out the childish behaviour ... it doesn't suit someone who has been around the Forum a bit.

I just gave It one star too. I can't remember where I stayed, it was company accomodation 100 years ago

First time I stayed in BKk,it was at the Malaysia,don't remember any pervies there but it was there I had my first penang curry loved it ever since , the curry that is,Thailand was a different world then people used to sit on the pavement to watch t.v. in a store,no mobiles not as many cars ,most were falling to bits,and in many places the bar girls were so young never saw a fat person,,in Bangkok I used to love the old Thermay is that how it's spelt? On sukhumvit ,so many characters there ,all changed now loved the open urinals next to where they cooked the food Lol

• Like 1

It's interesting to hear about place like The Malayasi and The Boston. Not many stories on The Atlanta though

The Atlanta is an utter sh*thole suffering from delusions of grandeur while reeking of cat's urine and I mean reeking...

They call themselves "a Bastion of Wholesome, Culturally Sensitive and eco-Aware Tourism"

Take a look at their website if you want a laugh...

http://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/

It got a decent turnover and was always busy thanks to a page long rave review in the Lonely Planet which highlighted their anti-prostitution and ludicrous Victorian rules and regulations.

I went to check it out once with an American Chinese bird I'd met in Bangkok and we were refused by one of the rudest tosspots I've ever seen in a service job in Thailand . It took us all our persuasion to get a table in the sh*tty restaurant when we did we had to endure 30 minutes of haughty looks from racist flabby Western backpackers thinking they had found some exclusive hotel. Was a craphole, still is....I'd not pay 100B to stay there but they ask around 1000 for crap rooms which (you got it) are permeated with the stench of cat's pee...

I dont remember the name but it was a tall building near Sukhumvit in 2004, I think 3 star and the staff was very polite. But what I remember best is the tuk tuks outside the hotel trying to grab you , I learned my lesson early and found a taxi using the meter.

It' s been a good thread David, hence the many spin off threads....

It's made me nostalgic for the days when Thailand still had a bit of an edge to it.

Thanks Mate ... it's difficult to try and stay original.

It simply came about from this post by another member ...

Seasons Greetings To All....Please don't drive drunk...

attachicon.gifOld Days Santa.jpg

Do you remember ? clap2.gif

dscn5211.jpg

and, I thought ... I remember that place, almost 10 years ago I stayed there when I first came to Thailand.

Then, naturally, I thought if other members remembered where they stayed ... and thus a flood of excellent posts, bringing back (hopefully) good memories to all.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I've only asked for one negative post to be hidden from view ... not bad for the Pub.

As for the copy threads ... all good, they are Mates of mine form the Forum. We give as good as we get ... laugh.png

Late 80's - Oriental - on biz/holiday combo.

Thought the place was way overpriced (probably only $200 in those days). The rooms were smallish and nothing special. Could not stand all the deep waiing and scraping. Approach the lift - flunky bows and presses the button. Get in lift - lift flunky bows even deeper. Get out on bedroom floor - floor attendant flunky practically lying down. Yuk

In a lifetime of biz travel where I occasionally pushed the boat out the only luxury hotel that was worth the money was Raffles in Singapore. 500 bucks for one night but unforgettable track back into another era.

PS - as soon as the career was retired (early) from I came back down to earth - forewent the ivory towers on the river; the various Dynasty's around Lower Suk soon became my hostelries of choice.

Late 80's - Oriental - on biz/holiday combo.

Thought the place was way overpriced (probably only $200 in those days). The rooms were smallish and nothing special. Could not stand all the deep waiing and scraping. Approach the lift - flunky bows and presses the button. Get in lift - lift flunky bows even deeper. Get out on bedroom floor - floor attendant flunky practically lying down. Yuk

In a lifetime of biz travel where I occasionally pushed the boat out the only luxury hotel that was worth the money was Raffles in Singapore. 500 bucks for one night but unforgettable track back into another era.

PS - as soon as the career was retired (early) from I came back down to earth - forewent the ivory towers on the river; the various Dynasty's around Lower Suk soon became my hostelries of choice.

Yep, the bowing and scraping at The Oriental is a little bit nauseating. Still a nice spot to stay for a one off, especially if it's a biz trip

Agree Raffles is great

A resort on Ko Tao which only had power for 4 hours in the evening and a few hours in the morning.

It was called the Tropicana... I spend my days reading books on the beach and exploring.

I spend 2-3 weeks in 2001 dreaming about how I could live in a place like this full time.

After 4 years back in Australia, I then moved to Thailand.

Edited by PaulHamon

Malaysia Hotel, 1982. I don't think Khao San had any guest houses then. Not that I would go there. Recall at Malaysia writing in journal "I wonder if I can walk across to Blue Fox Coffee House without being propositioned?". Oh to be young again.... on second thought.....

The Milano Hotel Bang Phli 2007

The Milano Hotel Bang Phli 2008

The Milano Hotel Bang Phli 2009,,, that was an exceptional trip thank you miss uma wherever you are

The Milano Hotel Bang Phli 2010

Sorry, have to get a tissue

can't stop crying

Why did you have to close, you know i was in heaven then

AND NOW I'M NOT

where the f^**k are those tissues

post-141778-0-21738900-1419300120_thumb.

post-141778-0-89418900-1419300157_thumb.

post-141778-0-97449600-1419300192_thumb.

Intercontinental - the old one across from Siam Square.

Was a beautiful place - like a big park, set back from the road with a big Thai-style pavilion, green grass lawns and peacocks wandering around between the buildings.

It's now Siam Paragon.

I stayed in a "Thai room" rent 900 Baht a month...couldn't believe my ears when they told me the price. Back home the rent for a same sized room would have been 125 Euro a week (200 Euros now) that would have been the equivalent to about 25,000 Baht a month at the time and what a colorful bunch of neighbours I had, it was fantastic. There were "Ladies of the night" and some Ladyboys and some ordinary working folk...all of them went out of their way to show me the ropes from where to buy stamps to how to get one of them to do my shopping for me for stuff to send home as presents, it was my first time to Thailand and I knew nothing of the "two tier pricing".. They were the salt of the earth and I learned much from them. I still drive by that premises on occasion and it evokes really fond memories in me every time. Those were really happy days and I was never lonely. People in that building visited each other in their rooms and socialized that way. That is probably one of the things I miss most in Thailand. It seems to me very hard to make real friends because nobody (not many anyway) asks each other round to their house , room, whatever for a social and a "cuppa and bikki". When you call somebody and a suggestion is made to meet up....the next thing is they are suggesting we do it at so-and-so cafe or restaurant....why not in each others gaff like in the good old days. I used to think it was because maybe they mostly rent their room and they don't feel it's their home but that's bull- - - -, I go to visit the person....not their premises, couldn't care less how upmarket or downmarket it is....in fact, strange as it may seem, I really like the old hobbles, feel more comfortable and at home there..... No, I know what you're thinking, "he must have come from one" 555....actually no, but I did end up in a few of them (a good few now that I come to think of it).......long story.

Edited by dotpoom

I came to Thailand in 1965 from Vietnam ,and was picked up at the USMC R &R center in Bangkok and was whisked away for a almost 9 hour drive to Satahip , US Air Force base to meet up with friends...Went to one of the two hotels in Pattaya , the Wandy Inn , owned by Mr. Patpong .... Had a swimming pool and great food and a night life, at the hotel of course , since nothing was here in Pattaya at that time..... Wonderful 6 days and nights , then back to Hell on Earth , Vietnam !

• Like 1

I had booked into Nasa Vegas hotel Ramkhamhaeng, taxi wanted 600 baht to take me there .. I said meter or i get

out .. it was a 300 baht fare.

The plane was over 3 hours late so arrived in hotel at 12.30 am, rang friend I was supposed to meet at 8 pm .. she still came to visit !!

The first thing I did notice about Bangkok was the smell as I walked out the airport doors .. love that smell each time I arrive now.

Went to Patong on a whim not sleeping for 36 hrs. Getting into the city during a rain storm and went by 3 or 4 aftermaths of accidents. Told the driver Paradise hotel and he took me to Paradise gusthouse lol. I was unpacking when they had a brown out, staff brought me candles. Little red ants were all over the place.

Walked around, couldn't believe soi Eric. Girl for the night said were I was staying was garbage so I stayed at her place g-d knows where. Manager of the place was man of his word, as I paid for 4 nights and he said if I don't like he would give me the rest back. So when I left, no haggle. Sorry I made this into a field report.

I live in Pattaya now but, 10 years ago, landed in Phuket and, after staying in 4 really bad places, found the Juno Hotel, in Patong, which, to this day is a fond memory and I haven't found a comparable residence since. I didn't much care for Patong but the hotel gets a big thumbs up !

I like this thread.......interesting to read.....my first stop was the Swiss Park (now the Grand Swiss) on Soi 11/1 near Nana BTS in 2004... $21 USD per night with breakfast...stayed there last week just for fun....just over $100 USD with the breakfast buffet....not a bad spot in the road and handy to all the night spots on Soi 11 and of course Soi 4 ??