'Nation' editorial staff ready to fight against suspected takeover bid

Lite Beer

Not a newspaper anyone takes seriously. They desperately need proof readers.

Actually, the more modern and common usage of the word is "proofreaders", not two words, same as what happened with the word "today" which was reduced to a single word over hundreds of years.

Then you'll love this: The accidental origin of nicknames.

http://www.wimp.com/nicknames/

Brilliant! Off topic, but more interesting than unqualified remarks by laymen about journalistic qualities of lower league media. Here is a linguistic twist that concerns expats in Thailand. In Old English we knew 3 genders for every word, same as in German. English lost genders within a couple centuries. If my girl friend tells me she went out with a friend, I know nothing. Was it a He? In French, German Italian its clear. There are exceptions, though. If she Lines me about going out with a Blonde I am glad it wasn't a Blond. English is lacking accuracy. The lack of finesse makes it the perfect choice for being a world language at the lowest denominator.

Actually, the more modern and common usage of the word is "proofreaders", not two words, same as what happened with the word "today" which was reduced to a single word over hundreds of years.

Brilliant! Off topic, but more interesting than unqualified remarks by laymen about journalistic qualities of lower league media. Here is a linguistic twist that concerns expats in Thailand. In Old English we knew 3 genders for every word, same as in German. English lost genders within a couple centuries. If my girl friend tells me she went out with a friend, I know nothing. Was it a He? In French, German Italian its clear. There are exceptions, though. If she Lines me about going out with a Blonde I am glad it wasn't a Blond. English is lacking accuracy. The lack of finesse makes it the perfect choice for being a world language at the lowest denominator.

You are correct that English can be used to blur or confuse and is, therefore, a great language for world diplomacy (and for Thai reporters for an English language daily). On the other hand, English can be so precise that it is the only language for many sciences. I'm 'old school', "say what you mean and mean what you say", but there is no way I can speak like that in Thailand. I have trouble expressing myself in Thai because there are not enough words to choose from. I guess when the Thai newspaper reporters are translating into English, they have too many words to choose from. Many times they are off only a few degrees but it is very obvious to a native English speaker. The pool of Thais who are both, interested in journalism and have a good command of writing in English, is likely very limited.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Nation! A strong reputation! Ah! Ah!

I'm certain that no matter how inept the new owners of the Nation might be, they couldn't any more clueless than the group that is in there now thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Nation! A strong reputation! Ah! Ah!

I'm certain that no matter how inept the new owners of the Nation might be, they couldn't any more clueless than the group that is in there now alt=thumbsup.gif>

It would appear that I left out a "be" in my previous post!

You are correct that English can be used to blur or confuse and is, therefore, a great language for world diplomacy (and for Thai reporters for an English language daily). On the other hand, English can be so precise that it is the only language for many sciences. I'm 'old school', "say what you mean and mean what you say", but there is no way I can speak like that in Thailand. I have trouble expressing myself in Thai because there are not enough words to choose from. I guess when the Thai newspaper reporters are translating into English, they have too many words to choose from. Many times they are off only a few degrees but it is very obvious to a native English speaker. The pool of Thais who are both, interested in journalism and have a good command of writing in English, is likely very limited.

Any language where the meaning of bad is " not good" then there is a serious inability to express one's feelings.

"... might damage the group's media freedom ..."?

Only if the new owners insist on balanced and professional investigative reporting. Obviously, The Nation doesn't fear the Junta's restrictions on news media and martial law because it faithfully complies with those restrictions. New owners might not be so lenient nor fearfull (ie., Korean investors) and that could stress the current staff - having to actually publish meaningly and provocative journalism contrary to the Junta's "KMA" directives.