What's the best used bikes in Thailand in terms of quality and value? Opinions please!

craigp

No Thai paperwork (and likely no way to register it), and difficult/costly to service. For what you want a bike for, that KTM ain't it- as a second or third bike, maybe...wink.png

The guy is saying I can get 6-month temporary import extensions. 'visa runs for bikes.....'(I live on the mai sai border.)

Having said that, you're probably right.....

With all these problems with scammers, green book transfers, etc (I found 2 during the year I spent looking for bike including 2 long abortive trips) just go down your Honda dealer and pick up a CB300f, right in the middle of your budget. You get a really great bike, brand spanking new, no hassles and a warranty...128k, that is what I would do now.

Compared to other countries, secondhand bikes drop very little in price and these new bikes are so cheap to begin with.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps.

So, for my budget and what I want a bike for, I'm thinking Honda CRF 250M. (New)

I don't need much power.

It is guaranteed.

Robust.

High seat (I'm tall).

Cheap

It looks nice (IMO)

Cheap parts and easy to maintain.

economical.

Dealership will handle registration

I only really commute about so it'll be nippy around the city and will cope with all the pot holes etc.

I like the black one with gold wheels.

Think it's right....whistling.gif

Are Thailands Honda prices national?

Does anyone think they might be sold cheaper in the New Year?

Excellent choice.

The good thing is that if you want more perceived power, you can play about with the gearing. This would really work for you as you're talking about using it solely in the city.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

So, for my budget and what I want a bike for, I'm thinking Honda CRF 250M. (New)

Good choice & to tell you the truth.....

The more years I stay here in Thailand the more a motard type bike makes a lot of sense for

most riding except touring

They really handle everything well even fast sporty rides in twisty mountainous areas.

On prices I wouldn't hold my breath & remember depending on what currency your coming from

to take that into consideration too.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

I don't need much power.

It is guaranteed.

Robust.

High seat (I'm tall).

Cheap

It looks nice (IMO)

economical.

I only really commute about so it'll be nippy around the city and will cope with all the pot holes etc.

Highly recommend the CRF250M - with some minor caveats ...

It's light and nimble so ideal for city traffic

Long travel suspension is great for poor roads

Better tires and brakes and firmer suspension than the 250L - so if you don't need the full off-road capability you get improved road handling over the L

Has (just) enough power for longer distance touring

Comfortable riding position - the seat is not as bad as you'd think and after market seats can improve comfort - I've stayed with stock and can do 200 K before pain stops play. Strapping on an old Air Hawk seat extends seat-range much more than the fuel tank can manage.

Looks great - especially the black/gold

Can get luggage-rack and good engine protection from the 250L accessory range

Some issues:

No ABS

Small fuel tank

Too high for many Thai's so resale may take time

Limited power - but in practice this is not such a problem in Thailand

Not good for pillion - except Thai girls who can adapt to anything

But .... the new CB300 has ABS, bigger tank and a bit more poke - so also worth considering. A CRF300M with ABS would be the perfect Bangkok bike in my view - but it does not exist .... yet.

post-215998-0-30858400-1419824199_thumb.

Thanks chaps.

I don't need much power.

It is guaranteed.

Robust.

High seat (I'm tall).

Cheap

It looks nice (IMO)

economical.

Better tires and brakes and firmer suspension than the 250L - so if you don't need the full off-road capability you get improved road handling over the L

Comfortable riding position - the seat is not as bad as you'd think and after market seats can improve comfort - I've stayed with stock and can do 200 K before pain stops play. Strapping on an old Air Hawk seat extends seat-range much more than the fuel tank can manage.

Some issues:

No ABS

Small fuel tank

But .... the new CB300 has ABS, bigger tank and a bit more poke - so also worth considering. A CRF300M with ABS would be the perfect Bangkok bike in my view - but it does not exist .... yet.

attachicon.gifBlue Bike med.jpg

Thanks, any idea when it will exist?

Thanks chaps.

Some issues:

No ABS

Small fuel tank

attachicon.gifBlue Bike med.jpg

Thanks, any idea when it will exist?

Only rumors on some web sites - no real information - I'm not sure if it's even planned. I wouldn't wait for a possible new bike to make a buying decision - you may wait forever as there's always something new on the horizon. You can take the CB500 series for a spin at Honda Big Wing and you can try the Kawasaki 650 and 250 range (including the D-Tracker 250 which is very similar to the CRF250M) at the Kawasaki showroom on Rama 9. Then you'll know how big you need to go. I did this when I was planning to buy a Versys or a CB500X - but after a test ride I decided that a lightweight 250 was good enough for my needs.

Test riding a CB300 or CRF250 may be tricky as they are sold by the local dealers - but they go like you'd expect a lightweight 250/300 - zippy enough up to a point then they run out of puff - but at that point you're going too fast for Thai roads anyway (many will not agree with me on this point - and if you live outside Bangkok or are into late night/early morning city rides then yes - a 650cc+ makes sense - but in Bangkok a 250/300 is more than enough.

Looking at your needs I'd get a new CB300F ABS .... in black.