AirPort Time Capsule 3TB

wooloomooloo

IMHO, I'm just looking at a "WD My Book". Gets good reviews. If I plug that into the router, I'd have the cloud functionality too right?

I have one of the 2-drive ones (MyCloud Mirror), plugged into my router, and it works just as advertised. The app for iOS is a handy way to share videos/photos between phone/ipad/PC without tethering and syncing the whole library too.

One thing I do have to say though - my router is a Linksys WRT1900AC, and file transfers to/from a USB3 HDD connected to that are noticeably faster than transfers to the MyCloud - whether I do them over WiFi or gigabit ethernet. The MyCloud is still great as a Time Machine endpoint though, where outright speed doesn't matter as much.

Edit: Oh sorry, you said "My Book" not "My Cloud" - in that case, I am clueless :(

Edited by IMHO

^ Cheers. Just started looking. Wouldn't the mybook connected to router make it a 'cloud'?

Need to search further.

AFAIK, the My Book range is just a simple external hard drive, with no real smarts of it's own. The My Cloud has an actual OS with cloud-type features (User-level shares, DLNA streaming, Time Machine server, Bit Torrent client etc).

In answer to your question: depends :) Some routers also have smarts like Time Machine, DLNA, bit torrent etc, in which case the answer is yes. If your router is just a basic one, no.

You can also share additional USB hard drives and printers with Time Capsule, which I do not believe the WD MyCloud will do.

It can.. the single drive models have 1x USB 3.0 port, the 2 drive 'mirror' models have 2x USB 3.0. Refer to my previous comments on (slower than expected) transfer speeds though...

You can also share additional USB hard drives and printers with Time Capsule, which I do not believe the WD MyCloud will do.

It can.. the single drive models have 1x USB 3.0 port, the 2 drive 'mirror' models have 2x USB 3.0. Refer to my previous comments on (slower than expected) transfer speeds though...

OK, I was thinking of wireless sharing. But of course that would be way slower than connecting via USB.

OK, I was thinking of wireless sharing. But of course that would be way slower than connecting via USB.

What I'm referring to is indeed wireless and ethernet file transfer speeds - even though in both cases it all goes through my WRT1900AC (using a MBP-r with wireless AC), external USB 3.0 drives attached to my router significantly outperform the same drive attached to the MyCloud (MyCloud to router is 1gbps ethernet).

On a related note, I used to have an Airport Extreme with wireless AC (before something in it melted and died), and the WRT1900AC outperforms it for both range and speed. Overall, I'm happy with the WRT1900AC, and the MyCloud works great as a time machine end point (which is all I really need it for). If you don't have a router, the Time Capsule is a very good way to get both - just make sure it's in a place where it can stay cool.

I guess we are sort of talking about several different things here:

1. Time Capsule, which is a combination wifi router and external HDD.

2. WD MyCloud, which is an external HDD but has no wifi router (AFAIK).

3. WRT1900AC Linksys wifi router, which does not have an HDD.

BTW, if your old Airport Extreme was from before June of last year, it would definitely have a slower wifi data rate, since that router did not yet support the newer N or AC standards, which of course the WRT1900AC supports now, as does the current Time Capsule and Airport Extreme.

I guess we are sort of talking about several different things here:

1. Time Capsule, which is a combination wifi router and external HDD.

2. WD MyCloud, which is an external HDD but has no wifi router (AFAIK).

3. WRT1900AC Linksys wifi router, which does not have an HDD.

BTW, if your old Airport Extreme was from before June of last year, it would definitely have a slower wifi data rate, since that router did not yet support the newer N or AC standards, which of course the WRT1900AC supports now, as does the current Time Capsule and Airport Extreme.

It was AC "ten antennas inside" model.

First things first. I set up the Time Capsule last night and struggled to get it working properly, but I don't give up easily. Got home tonight and fiddled about and all is good.

One of the reasons I purchased was for the supposed wireless router capabilities of the Capsule. I have a late 2013 iMac, iPad Air, iPhone 6, Apple TV and Bowers & Wilkins A7 AirPlay speaker. The whole set up syncs beautifully bar the occasional wireless dropout with the BT Home Hub 5. The dropouts on the A7 particularly irked me as I didn't want to hardwire and detracts from being an AirPlay speaker and should be reliably accessible from all devices.

I get a reasonable and reliable download of 60Mbps on BT Infinity but the HH5 can't cope with the wireless side and it's taken me a while to realise that the HH5 is complete pone.

Given the Capsule some heavy testing across all devices tonight, along with setting off the Capsule backup and the AirPlay speaker hasn't dropped out once. Though, I would like to gain more experience of setting up my own channels and getting the most from the settings.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Not sure which model the "ten antennas inside" would be. The current model has a six element antenna array with beam forming.

That'll be it - all I can remember is that it had an unusually high amount of antennas inside :)

In any case, they don't like getting hot - a few days sitting high up in a room that got up to the mid-30's and it was game over.

I have just purchased the above and would be grateful for your thoughts / reviews.

Is it worth it?

Yes, it's well worth it - set it up and forget it. Easy to configure.

Fascinating to see detractors who don't even know what they are talking about it, as in most threads dealing with Apple hardware.

• Like 1

I have just purchased the above and would be grateful for your thoughts / reviews.

Is it worth it?

Yes, it's well worth it - set it up and forget it. Easy to configure.

Fascinating to see detractors who don't even know what they are talking about it, as in most threads dealing with Apple hardware.

Interesting take. The OP asked for some buyer's remorse - I was just in a mood to have a shot at giving him some, don't take it the wrong way wink.png

I thought I had made my intentions of having some fun with him pretty clear :P

Edited by IMHO