US rapprochement with Cuba is long overdue

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
US rapprochement with Cuba is long overdue
The Nation

Two presidents and their countrymen and women will all gain from the move to normalise relations

The United States has finally come around to admitting that sanctions against Cuba haven't worked and that it was time to adopt a new approach: normalisation and engagement.

With the help of the Vatican, which facilitated secret talks between the US and Cuban governments over the past 18 months, President Barack Obama on Wednesday announced that Washington will restore full diplomatic relations with the Communist country, a tiny island nation that has been on the American psyche as long as anybody can think of.

In real terms, the new direction mean Americans can travel to Cuba and spend their dollars without worrying about breaking any US law.

Obama has gone as far the law permits him in terms of normalising relations with Cuba. The 1996 law imposes stiff sanctions on Cuba until there is a regime change.

As of this week, the sanctions are gone but the regime is likely to continue, but not necessarily in the current form and oppressive ways.

Today, only 20 per cent of Cubans have access to the Internet. That could change with normalisation of ties with the US.

And with freedom of movement, one can be sure that there will be more than just cigars and great athletes - boxers and baseball players - flooding the shore of the USA. And let's not overlook Cuba's growing entrepreneurial class.

"We must learn the art of coexisting with our differences in a civilised manner," Cuban president Raul Castro said not long ago as the country began a process of economic reform that includes lifting travel restriction on its citizens.

The US must continue to press for real changes in this island nation that has so much to offer the world - from its athletes to its medical personnel who have become more than just a showpiece for Cuba and contribute significantly in lands across the oceans.

Cuba's role in combating Ebola in West Africa was nothing less than impressive. Hundreds of the country's medical professionals were put in the frontlines of the pandemic to help to contain the virus.

The Democrats in the US may lose Cuban votes in Florida in the next election, although Republicans appear split over the new approach.

But let's face it, America as a whole stands to gain from the lifting of sanctions.

Besides not having to justify their misguided foreign policy to the world, US businessmen will have access to all sorts of opportunities, from untapped energy to tourism.

But don't expect Cuba to end its repressive ways overnight. In the past, Cuba used to exploit the American embargo to garner sympathy from the world community. It worked for many years.

And the mystique behind Fidel Castro as the underdog standing up to a superpower also helped, but only to some extent.

But with the new approach, Cuba will no longer have the luxury of being able to point fingers at Washington for the economic hardship at home.

Cuba won't become a democracy any time soon. But lifting sanctions could open up the country to other possibilities and ideas that could nudge its leaders toward a more democratic and open society.

Economic liberalisation doesn't always equate to a free society. But how the US deals with Cuba from now on can also help set the direction in which the country will move.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/US-rapprochement-with-Cuba-is-long-overdue-30250318.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-21

I don't have any admiration for the Castro gov't or any totalitarian regime. Communism tends to move toward these types of regimes. The difficulty is that the US sanctions really don't seem to be producing anything for the US either. The US will likely have a lot more leverage with an easing of restrictions. Hopefully we will have a lot fewer people making that dangerous 90 mile journey to the US.

• Like 2

how did 55 years of sanctions benefit the Cuban people?

As usual, the poor people pay the price of the actions by their government(s). I've got mixed feelings about opening up Cuba. It's such an amazing place now (good and bad). If opened up, it will look like Miami. But the poor people there would benefit dramatically. They are treated very poorly by the government there.

Quick story. Went there and spend a week with a friend and his family who live just outside Havana. When we left, we gave him our portable stereo. Along with a note from us in English and Spanish saying it was a gift. Well...he was arrested on the train trip on the way back to his home town. The police figured there was no way he could afford something like that and probably stole it. They confiscated the stereo and put him jail for a few weeks. Sick.

We had problems just walking down the street with him and his family. Many times, they'd tell us to meet them somewhere as they didn't want to risk being seen with us and arrested. This was about 10 years ago or so.

Sanctions definitely didn't help the locals, but neither has the government.

wai2.gif

Same here. Mixed feelings. A lot of Euros and Canadians go to the resort sections of Cuba, and never see behind the facade--the crumbling buildings, people working for the equivalent of $20 per month. Not to mention the official spies assigned to each neighborhood to make sure things never challenge the government. That said, I would like to see the place opened up and much, much stronger ties restored to the US. Like the Philippines (the other external territory that the US gained in the war with Spain), Cuba has not done well on its own, without the Americans. Also like the Philippines, they may now want the US back. The Filipinos just realized it a lot more quickly than the Cubans. Personally, I grew up with a Cuban family as my next door neighbors. They lost everything because of Castro. I mean everything--two factories that made cigars and textiles. They arrived in the US with just a suitcase and built themselves up quickly again. One of their sons went on to become an outfielder for the Philadelphia Phillies in the late 70s early 80s. I think he's a scout with them, now. But there are untold numbers of Cubans who had that happen to them--not to mention some posters on this board, apparently, such as Thailiketoo. It would be nice to see them compensated as well.

• Like 1

It is inexplicable why the "holy" US have a giant problem with so called "oppressive fascist military communist dictatorship" in Cuba.
  • Aren't the US themselves an oppressive military state against Cuba? As the Russian rockets and the old cold war don't exist any more there is no threat and no reason to isolate the Cuban Island.

• Do the US have the right to play the worl judge as they themselves are not free of an illegitimate behavior? When you consider that the Rep. government of G.W. Bush opened Guantanamo Prison/s just in Cuba it seems to me that he has put the US on the same level as Cuba. This prison was opened in Cuba only for the reason to be free of the national law and the human rights. Isn't that extremely sarcastic? The US complaining about the illicitness in Cuba but doing exactly the same just in this country, baaaahh

• Being a communist state or having a dictatorship, has this ever been a reason for the US to sanction these states? I think of PR of China, Saudi Arabia and other OIL-states, Iraq (when Saddam Hussein was still a "friend") and now Turkey under Erdogan. No, the US have double standards en masse. If it useful for the US, today you are a friend tomorrow an enemy mybe under US-´and EU-sanctions.

• Back to @Naam's question of sanction benefits for the Cuban people.

It is proven by the current history that a "normal" relationship between states benefits the people in suppressed states. It opens the way for new technology. I.e. medical technology would be a boon for the people, or would you like to deny this? IT-technology, even if surpressed, would be a danger for a (communist) dictatorship and can lead to more openess and change. Example? Myanmar. You see, the US should learn from a former 100% military dictatorship. Just Myanmar is an excellent example how a country's economy is emerging when free of sanctions. It's a way to open a country, otherwise not doable.

Under this viewpoint the sanctions against Cuba is a crime against the Cuban people. If you would like to punish the Cuban people for it's government, please think of the Bush-War- Government and it's crimes.

NS, didn't you read what @craigt3365 wrote?

This was about 10 years ago or so.

To make it clear, I don't defend the system in Cuba. There should be a change (hopefully at least in Myanmar's style). But playing the self-appointed judge with dirty hands and fingers isn't convincing and credible.

The sanctions against Cuba have nothing to do with the military, nor their form of government. It's purely financial. As an American citizen, I'm allowed to visit there, just can't spend money! LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_embargo_against_Cuba

Having seen how the citizens are treated there, it's horrible. Unless you have been there, you have no idea as to how bad it is.

Here's a brief overview of what started all this, from Wikipedia above:

In October 1960, a key incident occurred in which one private American oil refinery in Cuba refused to refine a shipment of Soviet crude oil. The Cuban government responded by nationalizing all three Cuban refineries, which were all American-owned. This prompted the Eisenhower administration to launch the first trade embargo—a prohibition against selling all products to Cuba save food and medicine. The Cuban regime responded with nationalization of all American businesses and most American privately owned properties on the island. No compensation was given for the seizures. A number of diplomats were expelled from Cuba.

With that being said, I think the sanctions have done nothing to change things. But look at Myanmar. Without sanctions, it's taken years for reform to take hold. And they've still got a long way to go. Dictator governments tend to be bad for countries.

I posted this before, but will do so again. Attached is a pic of my friend and his family. Out of some 15 family members, only 1 has a job. The rest live off aid and do what they can to make a buck and/or work for food. They get a coupon book every month and are allowed only a bit of rice, sugar, flour, etc. Not really enough to survive on. In this pic, I hosted a dinner for them in their home. Here's how it works.

They only have one table, 4 chairs, and 4 sets of dishes/silverware. The most important get seated first. I had no idea what was going on until things were done. When the first group finished eating, with everybody else in the room looking on, the next set of "important" people got to sit. Using the same settings and just adding more to what we didn't finish on our places. This was done again and again until everybody got to eat. About 4 different groups

As you can imagine, we ran out of some items and some didn't get to eat the good stuff. The children eat last. Along with grandma and grandpa.

I bought an apple for my friends sister one day. She was 25 or so and had never eaten an apple. We were out at a restaurant eating with him and his sister and we ordered beef. My friend commented on how important beef was. Very good for getting protein. I was shocked he even thought of this, but they rarely get to eat beef.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationing_in_Cuba

Hard to blame the US for these people's misery. It's all up to the government.

post-5869-0-31538600-1419143326_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I missed that. What article or post were you reading that said 55 years of sanctions benefited the Cuban people?

what you miss is to detect irony and/or sarcasm in a posting. you have my sympathy. tongue.png

• Like 2

I missed that. What article or post were you reading that said 55 years of sanctions benefited the Cuban people?

what you miss is to detect irony and/or sarcasm in a posting. you have my sympathy. tongue.png

No one I know has said the Cuban people have ever benefited from the embargo. The Cuban people have been held in virtual slavery for 50 years. The embargo was a weapon to free them. The embargo was a weapon for regime change.

There is no sarcasm in my post. I feel sympathy for the Cuban people as do most Americans. I believe the last free election in Cuba was in 1940 the voter turnout was 73.4%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_general_election,_1940

Edit to add "General elections were held in Cuba on 1 November 1958. Due to Fidel Castro's threat to jail and execute any candidate who participated in the election" The winner did not take office. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_presidential_election,_1958

I doubt most Europeans know Cuba is in North America anyway and probably less about Cuban politics. But it is always refreshing to hear a point of view not encumbered by facts. (that is sarcasm) I only mention it so you won't waste your sympathy on me.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

This does it! I'm making plans to move to Cuba ASAP. I was considering Puerto Rico*, but after this news, I'm on my way to the true island utopia of the future.

* = puck2 might do well, I should think, to compare Puerto Rico's history under US "oppression" with that of Cuba (which was not ceded by the Spanish to the US under the Treaty of Paris, BTW). If I'm accused of comparing apples and oranges, then fair enough. But let me ask the accusers: Why are Puerto Rico and Cuba so politically and economically different today? Another question is: If given the choice of only one or the other under a forced emigration, which would you chose?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

Neither would benefit the people. This isn't about the people. They are oppressed. See Craig's story above. That has nothing to do with actions of the US but rather the oppressive fascist military communist dictatorship.

Nothing sent to Cuba would reach the people. See Craig's story of the portable stereo. It would just enrichen, embolden and help the Castros.

It is inexplicable why the "holy" US have a giant problem with so called "oppressive fascist military communist dictatorship" in Cuba.

• Aren't the US themselves an oppressive military state against Cuba? As the Russian rockets and the old cold war don't exist any more there is no threat and no reason to isolate the Cuban Island.

• Do the US have the right to play the worl judge as they themselves are not free of an illegitimate behavior? When you consider that the Rep. government of G.W. Bush opened Guantanamo Prison/s just in Cuba it seems to me that he has put the US on the same level as Cuba. This prison was opened in Cuba only for the reason to be free of the national law and the human rights. Isn't that extremely sarcastic? The US complaining about the illicitness in Cuba but doing exactly the same just in this country, baaaahh

• Being a communist state or having a dictatorship, has this ever been a reason for the US to sanction these states? I think of PR of China, Saudi Arabia and other OIL-states, Iraq (when Saddam Hussein was still a "friend") and now Turkey under Erdogan. No, the US have double standards en masse. If it useful for the US, today you are a friend tomorrow an enemy mybe under US-´and EU-sanctions.

• Back to @Naam's question of sanction benefits for the Cuban people.
    It is proven by the current history that a "normal" relationship between states benefits the people in suppressed states. It opens the way for new technology. I.e. medical technology would be a boon for the people, or would you like to deny this? IT-technology, even if surpressed, would be a danger for a (communist) dictatorship and can lead to more openess and change. Example? Myanmar. You see, the US should learn from a former 100% military dictatorship. Just Myanmar is an excellent example how a country's economy is emerging when free of sanctions. It's a way to open a country, otherwise not doable.
    Under this viewpoint the sanctions against Cuba is a crime against the Cuban people. If you would like to punish the Cuban people for it's government, please think of the Bush-War- Government and it's crimes.

NS, didn't you read what @craigt3365 wrote?

This was about 10 years ago or so.

To make it clear, I don't defend the system in Cuba. There should be a change (hopefully at least in Myanmar's style). But playing the self-appointed judge with dirty hands and fingers isn't convincing and credible.

Spoken like a True Commie.

How short the minds of the Americans are.

The reason Castro took over the Island was to get rid of the MAFIA and corrupt US influences that were crippling his country.

After the over throw he went to the White house to meet Kennedy and was treated as a fool.

No wonder he asked Russia to help, and so we had the missile crisis.

The Cubans have been subject to oppression for years and all of came from the US, because of ignorance.

Cuba do well by your people, first and foremost, not like the US.

How short the minds of the Americans are.

The reason Castro took over the Island was to get rid of the MAFIA and corrupt US influences that were crippling his country.

After the over throw he went to the White house to meet Kennedy and was treated as a fool.

No wonder he asked Russia to help, and so we had the missile crisis.

The Cubans have been subject to oppression for years and all of came from the US, because of ignorance.

Cuba do well by your people, first and foremost, not like the US.

If the fairy tale you have believed was true simply getting rid of the American Gangsters and tourists would have turned Cuba into a profitable nation. If the fairy tale you have believed was true why have a million Cubans tried to escape Cuba at risk of life and limb? Cuba is a wreck. It was before Castro and it still is today.

The Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico are in the same neighborhood. Cuba didn't have to be a wreck it chose to be a wreck. Maybe it is the hate of libraries. Try google. Why does Fidel Castro hate libraries?

In 2003, 22 libraries raided with 14 librarians arrested with jail terms of up to 26 years, for having banned literature.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

For some unknown reason obama has this affinity for dictators communists etc. His incompetence is becoming harmful to American National Security. He wants to bail out failing communist regiemes around the world. All the while trashing our allies. (Like Canada)

As usual, the poor people pay the price of the actions by their government(s). I've got mixed feelings about opening up Cuba. It's such an amazing place now (good and bad). If opened up, it will look like Miami. But the poor people there would benefit dramatically. They are treated very poorly by the government there.

Quick story. Went there and spend a week with a friend and his family who live just outside Havana. When we left, we gave him our portable stereo. Along with a note from us in English and Spanish saying it was a gift. Well...he was arrested on the train trip on the way back to his home town. The police figured there was no way he could afford something like that and probably stole it. They confiscated the stereo and put him jail for a few weeks. Sick.

We had problems just walking down the street with him and his family. Many times, they'd tell us to meet them somewhere as they didn't want to risk being seen with us and arrested. This was about 10 years ago or so.

Sanctions definitely didn't help the locals, but neither has the government.

wai2.gif

Same here. Mixed feelings. A lot of Euros and Canadians go to the resort sections of Cuba, and never see behind the facade--the crumbling buildings, people working for the equivalent of $20 per month. Not to mention the official spies assigned to each neighborhood to make sure things never challenge the government. That said, I would like to see the place opened up and much, much stronger ties restored to the US. Like the Philippines (the other external territory that the US gained in the war with Spain), Cuba has not done well on its own, without the Americans. Also like the Philippines, they may now want the US back. The Filipinos just realized it a lot more quickly than the Cubans. Personally, I grew up with a Cuban family as my next door neighbors. They lost everything because of Castro. I mean everything--two factories that made cigars and textiles. They arrived in the US with just a suitcase and built themselves up quickly again. One of their sons went on to become an outfielder for the Philadelphia Phillies in the late 70s early 80s. I think he's a scout with them, now. But there are untold numbers of Cubans who had that happen to them--not to mention some posters on this board, apparently, such as Thailiketoo. It would be nice to see them compensated as well.

I'm a little confused, many of the contributers seem to think that Cuba and the Philipines just sort of drifted into the US's sphere of influence and now deeply regret not being part of it....something like that? right?

The facts are that the US forced Spain into a war it couldn't win, there was all sorts of confusion on how the "white ship" came to be sunk! The carpet baggers demanded the US go to war, Teddy R. shouted something like "manifest destiny boys" and gosh! American capitalists of every ilk made a fortune, it was only when castro threw out Batista, the US puppet, that Cubans gained what little freedom they have today! The Philipines were an unofficial colony of the US up until WWII, they fought and won their freedom from both the Japanese and the US by their victories!

If you don't believe me, watch the Godfather! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Funny coincidence...

This is happening exactly after Russia and China getting closer with Cuba again and talking about economic and military agreements....

Democracy in Cuba? Why not? If the US do not corrupt the elections...Castro will win it easily...

Examples of other "islands" with US support? Puerto Rico, Haiti, Granada, Philipines.....Are those in better shape than Cuba?

I hope the US Congress will keep the embargo....just to oppose Obama, leving Cuba alone, and free of the US drug traficking and crime.

Looks like nobody remember or knows how the Cuban people was exploited before the revolution by the US Mafia and Corporations....associated with the oligarchy.....Under US support, Cuba was the US bordel, and the most uneducated country in America.

Today, Cuban Public Education and Health Systems are one of the world's best, and Cuban Medicine and Organic Agriculture is an example for most "advanced" countries. In Cuba nobody sleep on the streets, or have to beg for food. No bad for a poor and isolated country.

Luxury and waste of some, is not sign of progress or justice. Democracy with lies, corruption, and injustice, doesn't work!

Cuba do not need that kind of "imports"....

Yes the island utopia. Where those lucky enough to have a job make about $60 a month. Might be wise to do some research before you go spouting off about how good things are in Cuba. btw are cell phones still outlawed? Sort of like microwaves? Ever wonder why the newest car is 1957?

Edited by snarky66

Who is this author and why does he not know that it takes an act of Congress to lift the embargo?

Why does he not know that if there aren't elections in Cuba that any normalization will mostly benefit the Cuban regime and not reach the people?

Does he not know that Castro is a fascist military dictator or that Cuba is communist? Does he not know that everything belongs to the state, meaning the Castros?

Let's wait and see what Congress has to say about this.

I truly wish for normalization with Cuba which would include elections and democracy. I do.

But this charade would just enrich the Castros and I'm betting that Congress already has that figured out.

How did the author of this article fail to get the facts?

Pretty sure Congress and the Senate will try to scuttle this whole Obama attempt at leaving a legacy. Who is going to want to watch Cuba play the U.S. off with Russia and Venezuela perks. U.S. gives all now and receives zero. Another genius Obama give a way.