Bios Checksum Failure

h90

on to computer I have often when starting them a bios checksum failure. Than you need to go into the bios and out again and it works.

I checked already the batterie and it has 2.85 Volt (don´t know what it should have).

I already flashed the bios new (no change).

anyone has and idea?

I checked already the batterie and it has 2.85 Volt (don´t know what it should have).

Normal with new battery is 3.0 volts. It should be replaced at 2.5 volts so yours seem's to be OK. Do you mean before and after you flashed the BIOS the problem is the same? Also, if you do a reboot without turning the power off does the problem show up or only if you turn the power off and back on? The latter indicates a battery problem.

Often, a dying battery will first manifest itself intermittently. Sometimes, you will boot with no problem. At other times, you will see an error indicating that the system doesn't match the configuration. When the battery fails entirely, the message will either come up every time you reboot, or your BIOS may report an error number with a message stating that the battery is dead.

I would replace the battery anyway because this is the most common reason for BIOS checksum errors and the next most common is a virus in the computer corrupted the CMOS (not likely since you reflashed) and the mainboard itself failing.

Edited by tywais

Normal with new battery is 3.0 volts. It should be replaced at 2.5 volts so yours seem's to be OK. Do you mean before and after you flashed the BIOS the problem is the same? Also, if you do a reboot without turning the power off does the problem show up or only if you turn the power off and back on? The latter indicates a battery problem.

Often, a dying battery will first manifest itself intermittently. Sometimes, you will boot with no problem. At other times, you will see an error indicating that the system doesn't match the configuration. When the battery fails entirely, the message will either come up every time you reboot, or your BIOS may report an error number with a message stating that the battery is dead.

I would replace the battery anyway because this is the most common reason for BIOS checksum errors and the next most common is a virus in the computer corrupted the CMOS (not likely since you reflashed) and the mainboard itself failing.

just tested the batterie again, now I measured 2.91.

I had the problem before flashing and I have exactly the same problem after flashing.

I think I have the problem already since 1 year, but before I let the computer run 24/7 so it did not happen many times.

reboot without turning the power is OK. Short time off seems to be OK, Long time turn off (>2h) result in 30-50 % failure.

I got the idea that maybe I just need to bend the metal clip a bit more as the batterie might has just bad contact, but I don´t know yet if that helps.

On the second computer you need to enter the bios, but it is password protected, when you get asked for the password you press reset and everything is OK.

Not a hugh problem but not perfect. It does not seem like the motherboard dies because I have that problem already a long time.

Gigabyte mainboard by the way.

I had the problem before flashing and I have exactly the same problem after flashing.

I think I have the problem already since 1 year, but before I let the computer run 24/7 so it did not happen many times.

[/b]reboot without turning the power is OK. Short time off seems to be OK, Long time turn off (>2h) result in 30-50 % failure.

Really sounds like a marginal battery or, as you mention, clean and reseat it and strenthen the clip a little. The CMOS is powered by the computer power supply (5V) when it is turned on and by the battery when it is turned off. There is sometimes a slight charging effect from the 5V to the battery through leakage and is why the battery is showing voltage variations.

[/b]reboot without turning the power is OK. Short time off seems to be OK, Long time turn off (>2h) result in 30-50 % failure.

Really sounds like a marginal battery or, as you mention, clean and reseat it and strenthen the clip a little. The CMOS is powered by the computer power supply (5V) when it is turned on and by the battery when it is turned off. There is sometimes a slight charging effect from the 5V to the battery through leakage and is why the battery is showing voltage variations.

the voltage variation: I would think it is because I used a very cheap multimeter and it is just 0.06 volt.

thanks

Michael

the voltage variation: I would think it is because I used a very cheap multimeter and it is just 0.06 volt.

thanks

Michael

Sorry, occupational hazard - I'm used to using 6 1/2 digit multimeters and precision measurements. As geoffphuket says, replace the battery.

thanks

Michael

Sorry, occupational hazard - I'm used to using 6 1/2 digit multimeters and precision measurements. As geoffphuket says, replace the battery.

hi'

checksum error, change battery!

if happens again with the correct battery consider to check out the voltage of your 12v rail out of the psu :o

and if the 12v is ok, think about an entire backup and change mother board :D

francois

Edited by francois

thanks

Michael

sorry my previous post was unclear....

I meant it is just 0.06 volt different between the two readings.

The multimeter was the only one I could find when I first came to thailand. For most of my doings it is good enough.

Yes I´ll change the batterie. If it is just 25 Baht, it will be a hard decision. Spend it or not, spend it or better invest the 25 baht on the stock market or save if for new car :o:D

After I made that hugh investment I´ll update you if it helped or not.

(I really hate the idea of buying a new outdated motherboard)

Ahm! Erm!

I thought that the first signs of a failing motherboard battery was the clock!

What am I missing?????

Beachcomber. :o

The voltage threshold of the CMOS memory and the RTC (real time clock chip) may not be the same whereas the CMOS will probably lose data at a higher voltage level then the RTC. Also, some RTC chips now have a battery built into them with retentions of 10 years and the CMOS with an independant battery.

Ahm! Erm!

What am I missing?????

The voltage threshold of the CMOS memory and the RTC (real time clock chip) may not be the same whereas the CMOS will probably lose data at a higher voltage level then the RTC. Also, some RTC chips now have a battery built into them with retentions of 10 years and the CMOS with an independant battery.

Err! Ahm!

Guess I need to upgrade my whole system as I don’t have any of that 10 year stuff!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Ahm! Erm!

What am I missing?????

Err! Ahm!

Guess I need to upgrade my whole system as I don’t have any of that 10 year stuff!!!!!!!!!!

:D

I would only consider it if your mainboard has a 3 pin header and an external battery pack for your CMOS, then we're talking old. :D