Change visa from language school to university

Hi All,

I'm a British passport holder holding a Vientiane issued Non Im - ED visa for a language school in Bangkok. Currently I'm doing my 90 day extensions and 1 year will have elapsed by around July 2015. I will be starting university in Bangkok in the new year and would like to know the process of converting my visa from one school's paperwork to another. I'm very reluctant to go back to Vientiane to obtain a new visa (didn't like that trip at all), so wonder what my options were. I understand that you're issued with a 3 month visa and then a year at the end of those 3 months.

If anyone else has any knowledge, or even better, self-experience with this situation I would be grateful to hear from you.

I also only have 2 blank visa pages left and have one more extension to do (or not to do should another option be available)

Thank you in advance.

You can change schools using the same original ED visa entry.

You would need a letter from your existing school stating your studies with them has ended on the date you go to immigration and paperwork from the university to apply for a new extension.

The one year rule only applies to non formal schools (language is one) for university studies it does not apply.

If you attend a university you will get a one year extension and can apply for another extension without needing a new ED visa.

Great, I fully understand.

The university did mention that immigration would be a bit funny about changing over the visa or something unless there was a month or left remaining on the 'year'. Do you know anything about that?

I would not wait untill you are 1 year in country but indeed do it earlier. The university will have experience in this and I would listen to them.