another day another rip off attempt

zoza

Surprise surprise. You're in a third-world country. Next time ... and always ... ask or look for the price before ordering ... or otherwise gracefully pay up when the check-bin comes.

When visiting a bar for the first time, I always glance at the first bill in my check-bin to see what the price is.

At one bar in the Simon Complex in Walking Street, I saw that they charged me 180 Baht for a small Singha. I didn't comment, but decided that that would be the last beer I would buy in that bar!

One of the girls then came over and asked me if I was from India. I told her that I was from New York. She opined that I was from India, and kept questioning me. Not that it mattered to me, but I showed her a copy of my passport that I carry with me. Shortly after, I happened to notice that my bill had been altered...it was now 100 Baht. Apparently, some places have different prices on whether they want your business or not!

Which one? I would like to go there.

Come on all you keyboard warriors, obviously you've noticed by now the OP hasn't made another comment.

Anyone want to lay a bet he's a disgruntled bar owner losing money to this discount beer bar!!!

Either that or some motorcycle taxi has just charged him 16thb for a 15thb ride.

LOL worrying about 30 Baht in a brothel.

From what I read this is a bar and a guesthouse if I know the one he is talking about, not a brothel, but that is beside the OP's point. People like you and all the people who liked your post will never get it, never. It's not about how much money it is, it is about the lying and cheating and scamming. I just had a motorcycle taxi guy try to cheat me out of 10 baht last night buy pulling a confusion scam as money was handed back and forth. Of course, I can afford to lose 10 baht, but why should I like it. I don't like it and I never will like it.

I guess people like you enjoy being lied to and scammed and cheated. More power to you. Come on over to my home and I'll be happy to cheat you out of some money or I can lie to you, whatever you would like.

Welcome to the Land of Smiles!!! Must be British or Jewish, LOL w00t.gif

Reported to Mod for crass racism. I object.
  • Like 1

From what I read this is a bar and a guesthouse if I know the one he is talking about, not a brothel, but that is beside the OP's point. People like you and all the people who liked your post will never get it, never. It's not about how much money it is, it is about the lying and cheating and scamming. I just had a motorcycle taxi guy try to cheat me out of 10 baht last night buy pulling a confusion scam as money was handed back and forth. Of course, I can afford to lose 10 baht, but why should I like it. I don't like it and I never will like it.

I guess people like you enjoy being lied to and scammed and cheated. More power to you. Come on over to my home and I'll be happy to cheat you out of some money or I can lie to you, whatever you would like.

No, it's about having half a brain in handling a situation.

To start with, even a monkey knows to ask for a bill if bill is not put on the table.

Someone with half a brain should be able to understand that many working in bars can not speak English and possibly got confused with numbers

Then using little class , one would not make a scene over 30 baht , but rather leave it or approach it with manners and get it sorted instead of screaming f this and f that and scam .

For f.. K sake, only 30 baht, not exactly the crime on century.

Edited by konying
  • Like 1

there are some nasty wretched things in those bars.

Yep. Cheapskates with flip flops, cargo shorts, tats and singlets. For a white man to argue over 30 baht is pathetic when it could have been a genuine mistake, maybe you both should have paid the higher price and maybe you humiliated the girl and got her into trouble.

serves her right

"a few horrible greedy people give pattaya and Thailand a bad name."

True, but so does Pattaya's many extremely stingy expats.

Yes yes, I know, it's the principle thy say, yet most of these expats seem to always manage to find and gather at the absolute cheapest bars, and as I understand from the OP, it is not the view that attracts them :-)

Surprise surprise. You're in a third-world country. Next time ... and always ... ask or look for the price before ordering ... or otherwise gracefully pay up when the check-bin comes.

if thailand is a third world country, what are somalia and afganistan etc etc, fifth world country ? its big different between those country

As a green as grass newbie, I once stumbled into one of the Russian joints on Walking Street - they hit me up for 300b for a bottle of Heineken as well as tips for an unsolicited, lack lustre dance from one of their over worked, attitude challenged Baltic staff members.

Then there's the old "I thought that was a tip" when you don't get change out of a 1000b note for a 100b drink. This seems to happen with bars owned in Pattaya and on Soi Cowboy by a certain mixed race gentlemen with a spy like nickname.

When I first got here I used to check the price on everything before I would consider listening to any rhetoric

But as time went on that became boring.

We have a great Bar here in out town run by a New Zealand guy.

He has done the bar up quite a bit and everything is really cool.

Its had some 5 or 6 dickheads running it before and this guy has it well and truly sorted and its rawly gathering business.

One of the dickheads who ran it before has opened up in competition (despite legalities) but its just a shitty place like he ran before.

Oh my how we appreciate someone being reasonable in this country.

^^ It sounds as though they have a 45 baht per beer deal on three beers, but I agree to always check first.

Unfortunately, op, you should be prepared for any eventuality when you mix with that type of personage. Face has been lost through you pointing out their error or scam and thus all logic flies out the window. Not worth getting bent out of shape for a few baht, maybe, but not great if the karma takes a hit. Suggest buying cheap flip-flops, finding nearby dog do and accidentally on purpose walking in it, and thusly right past bar entrance on occasion, before depositing said flip-flops either in a bin or in the entrance of offending watering hole.

"Unfortunately, op, you should be prepared for any eventuality when you mix with that type of personage. Face has been lost through you pointing out their error ..."

Farang Face was lost when the big spender reeled at the loss of Baht 30 ... at least I assume he would say it's the principle (= loss of face) not the baht 30.

What I don't get is how so many of you are saying bad things about the OP. He was being ripped off. It doesn't matter if it was only 30 baht or any other amount. This tends to happen all too often in this country and just because some of you are willing to put up with it that just gives them more incentive to do it to others. I feel the same, I don't want to be charged more than what I am supposed to be paying. At what point do some of you feel it is alright to lodge a complaint? 100 baht? 1,000 baht?

It would have to be a great deal more than 30 baht. It seems like OP caused the server to lose face. Let's say the girl honestly thought it was 55 baht a bottle. Then it looks like you are "making a problem" over FIVE baht. At 55 baht a bottle, they are not making a killing. At 45 baht, they are giving it away.

In any case, making a fuss in a bar over small things can often lead to a BIG needless hassle.

No offense to all the guys standing on "principle", or to the OP. We all have our own ways of looking at these moral dilemmas.

It's just Thai bashing pure and simple. If it was a new ingenious scam or for a serious amount of money then fine, take some time out of your day to write a post and warn people, but there are more and more who create these threads just to Thai bash and to get off by seeing others do it as well.

If 35thb is that big a deal then

A/ don't go to dirty little bars in Pattaya where you're spending in an hour what they earn in a day.

B/ don't come to Thailand at all or

C/ politely ask for your change and leave it at that.

Try finding a bar in the UK or the US that sells bottled beers for a little over 80pence. You can't so complaining about it in Thailand is not about principal it's a reason to Thai bash.

I have a feeling that even if the staff had been Cambodian he would have still made his point.

To accuse him of Thai bashing is simply pathetic apologism.

Also, you appear to be getting almost 70 Baht to the Pound for your beer money.

• Like 1

I have taken the position...anytime baht changes hands between a foreigner and a Thai...there is significant opportunity for cheating a farang out of his baht...

Even knowing this...and being on guard...I often get home and think about the transaction and realize...dang...they got me again...those clever devils...

NO its not, its more like cheap charlie rant about 15 baht.

Remember in the opening OP stated he was not going to tip after that.

Well 3 beers x 55 baht is 165, he paid 170. So the big spender was going to give a HUGE 5 baht tip.

• Like 2

What I don't get is how so many of you are saying bad things about the OP. He was being ripped off. It doesn't matter if it was only 30 baht or any other amount. This tends to happen all too often in this country and just because some of you are willing to put up with it that just gives them more incentive to do it to others. I feel the same, I don't want to be charged more than what I am supposed to be paying. At what point do some of you feel it is alright to lodge a complaint? 100 baht? 1,000 baht?

It would have to be a great deal more than 30 baht. It seems like OP caused the server to lose face. Let's say the girl honestly thought it was 55 baht a bottle. Then it looks like you are "making a problem" over FIVE baht. At 55 baht a bottle, they are not making a killing. At 45 baht, they are giving it away.

In any case, making a fuss in a bar over small things can often lead to a BIG needless hassle.

No offense to all the guys standing on "principle", or to the OP. We all have our own ways of looking at these moral dilemmas.

You will find not too many Thai would be making a scene over 5-10 baht, so when a foreigner does it, who is supposedly rich, it gives all foreigners a bad name.

I know i have had customers wait for 1 baht change, yes you read correctly, 1 baht change.

He came to eat every single day and physically licked the plates, and always without a fail waited for 1 baht change.

1 day i wanted to see how long he would wait, so did not give back immediately.

30 mins he sat there, then asked about his 1 baht, and believe it or not had the nerve to return the next day.

You do not want to know what thai staff were saying and talking about foreigners.

PATHETIC!

An establishment that has prices ending in '9' or '4'.............................. and then has the audacity to make a customer wait 30 mins for his change.

P1ss poor service, not a place that I would want to frequent.

You do not need to have a heart attack, customers like you are not needed or welcomed, no matter how highly you think of yourself

• Like 1

You will find not too many Thai would be making a scene over 5-10 baht, so when a foreigner does it, who is supposedly rich, it gives all foreigners a bad name.

I know i have had customers wait for 1 baht change, yes you read correctly, 1 baht change.

He came to eat every single day and physically licked the plates, and always without a fail waited for 1 baht change.

1 day i wanted to see how long he would wait, so did not give back immediately.

30 mins he sat there, then asked about his 1 baht, and believe it or not had the nerve to return the next day.

You do not want to know what thai staff were saying and talking about foreigners.

PATHETIC!

An establishment that has prices ending in '9' or '4'.............................. and then has the audacity to make a customer wait 30 mins for his change.

P1ss poor service, not a place that I would want to frequent.

You do not need to have a heart attack, customers like you are not needed or welcomed, no matter how highly you think of yourself

giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

Must go down as one of the saddest posts of the year.

Hard to believe it is a genuine post.

Who the <deleted> even notices 5 or 10 baht and if they do would bother first to complain about it and second more incredibly go and write a post on a forum about it.

What a sad specimen.

Unfortunately there are quite a few of them in Pattaya.

• Like 2

Must go down as one of the saddest posts of the year.

Hard to believe it is a genuine post.

Who the <deleted> even notices 5 or 10 baht and if they do would bother first to complain about it and second more incredibly go and write a post on a forum about it.

What a sad specimen.

Unfortunately there are quite a few of them in Pattaya.

I MIGHT, but I doubt I would bother to say anything - I certainly wouldn't post about it on Thai Visa.