Stopping dogs biting wooden furniture?

Forget all this crap about sprays and chilli, that's not the right way. You cant spray chilli on to everything.

You need to teach your puppy that if he bites furniture he will receive a negative reaction.

So when the puppy bites the furniture or anything that he shouldn't be biting, he gets a light poke in the chest with your finger. He will instantly stop biting, and then you offer him a dog chew to bite on. Once he takes the dog chew and starts to chew on that, he then receives a positive reaction. A positive reaction is you rewarding him with a pat, a stroke and praise such as good boy, good dog whatever, along with the dog chew that is now his.

You need to teach him that biting the furniture is wrong, and biting the chew is right.

You must get this right now, or you will have a dog that rips your house apart while your out, or even why your asleep.

Its all just part of bringing a puppy in to your life and you have to stick with it, don't give up on him, your the only one he has remember.

Dogs do not like loudy sounds.....and relates the sounds with its behavior. To correct it, if you are close to do it, use a newspaper to hit on the floor. If the dog chews particulary furniture, place ballons on those spots..ready to explode at it touch. Most important..NEVER say the dog's name when correcting behavior. Just a loud NO. Use only its name to reward it or to call it for a nice treat or petting.

I ended up getting some spray from the pet shop, works for a while until it drys then they are back at it... I have been slowly teaching him not to do it and he is starting to get it,

I actually found some bits of wood from the garden plus some pig skin from the pet shop which helps, he has tons of toys/bones/chews but he really likes the furniture as its kind of soft wood but he is learning. I have had many dogs and I must say Leo is one of the hardest dogs I have had to train, mainly becuase he is thick as two planks combined with being big and clumsy but he is getting there, they are currently both sleeping after a mound of BBQ meat.

Cheers all.

zn2792.jpg