Angered by parking fine, motorist attacks Krabi cop (video)

webfact

Angered By Parking Fine, Motorist Attacks Krabi Cop

By Khaosod English

14193352711419335732l.jpg

KRABI - A motorist is under arrest on suspicion of attacking a police officer with a knife after he was fined for illegally parking near a police box in Krabi province.

The incident took place at around 3 pm yesterday near Ao Nang Beach in Plai Praya District. Police say Pol.Sgt. Abhichart Naksa-nga and another police officer spotted the suspect parking at a prohibited spot and approached the man to apply a fine.

However, the motorist, identified as Thawatchai Bhodirak, 21, reportedly refused to take the ticket or move his car. Instead, Thawatchai loudly berated the police for interfering with his parking and attempted to drive away when the two police officers tried to detain him, police say.

Apparently angered by the confrontation, Thawatchai allegedly took out a two-feet-long knife and lunged it at Pol.Sgt. Abhichart, injuring him in his right hand. According to the police statement, the suspect then came out from his car and tried to stab the officer again, forcing Pol.Sgt. Abhichart to fire two shots in the air, but the warning shots did not deter the suspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXI_X5ywk8o

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1419335271&typecate=06&section=

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2014-12-24

• Like 1

Any sane professional police officer knows NOT to fire "Warning Shots" into the air! Those bullets do come down and could injure or kill some innocent victim. Much better to shoot the warning shots into the perpetrator. In the video it appears he is shooting at the perp. not into the air so I'm assuming the "Khaosod English" writer got his or her facts wrong.

• Like 1

Having a less lethal option such as a taser would have been convenient in such a situation.

Watching the cop run away was a big undignified for the RTP and only emboldened the perp.

I understand that police protocol for dealing with a knife-wielding suspect charging at you would consider shooting him in the leg as appropriate.

Having a less lethal option such as a taser would have been convenient in such a situation.

Watching the cop run away was a big undignified for the RTP and only emboldened the perp.

I understand that police protocol for dealing with a knife-wielding suspect charging at you would consider shooting him in the leg as appropriate.

In Australia they are taught only to shoot at the chest. No head shots or leg shots. I think it is the same in most countries.

• Like 2

Just shows what respect Thai people have for the RTP. I guess after all these years after bribes and corruption, karma is coming back in a "Big Way". P.S. I do not condone any physical attack on any police officer.

then why say what you did ? Stupid man.

what bull , ths took place on MONDAY morning right in the middle of all the tourists waiting for the boat tours, the guy was SHOT in the leg ...i saw the pool of blood and the trail of it across the road

looks like they are worried about AOnang so the story has been changedwhistling.gif

Why do you think this is bull?

The story was taken from khaosod and was dated the 23rd of December (Tuesday) and says "The incident took place at around 3 pm yesterday" so that would make it Monday.

The story also says "Pol.Sgt. Abhichart eventually shot at Thawatchai's leg"

Apart from you saying it was morning and the report saying it was 3pm I don't see any "bull" here.

Out of control narcissism rears its head again. I see it all the time in Macro where people choose not to recognize that someone would like to get by them in the isle as it would disturb their conversation on the phone.

• Like 1

In Australia they are taught only to shoot at the chest. No head shots or leg shots. I think it is the same in most countries.

Also true in Canada (where I worked as a civilian for the mounties). Had a heated argument the other day with a friend over the Ferguson shooting ... he was saying that if the suspect had rushed the cop, the cop should have shot him in he leg, not lethally. I couldn't get across to him that these situations aren't Hollywood movies where cops shoot the guns out of people's hands. In the real world, shooting to stop means shooting at the center mass... the torso. But a lot of folks don't get it...

• Like 2

Just shows what respect Thai people have for the RTP. I guess after all these years after bribes and corruption, karma is coming back in a "Big Way". P.S. I do not condone any physical attack on any police officer.

So you think this one isolated case is indicative of "Thai people"?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So you think this one isolated case is indicative of "Thai people"?

Very indicative of the contempt and disrespect the Thai people have for the police and the perpetual "Thainess" disregard for the law. Also a bona fide and magnificent display touching on the lack of training, professionalism and bravado of the Thai police!

Edited by phrisco17

Thais usually get angry when fined for wrongdoing. They never accept they could be wrong.

I have seen it a couple of times when motorists got a ticket in the town center and kept arguing angrily threatening the policeman.

What a Thai being wrong? No this could not be surely they are never wrong.

But seriously you have to commend the policeman for not shooting him. I am not sure I would have had his restraint in his situation

You guys are forgetting the most unbelievable part of this story:

A parking fine?!?! This guy's fine was probably the first one to be levied in Ao Nang in *months*, if not *years*.

Only because he parked too near the popo's tent, they didn't have to walk too far or expend too much energy! Easy Money!

And never run away! The Policeman would have been severly repremanded, if not booted, in most Western Countries!

And never run away! The Policeman would have been severly repremanded, if not booted, in most Western Countries!

Strategic withdrawal.

• Like 2