Exterminator? How often? around Kids?

Who is familiar with exterminators in Thailand? Specifically how often do they come around? Inside and outside? What are the health implications especially around small children?

My rental contract includes once a month. I haven't seen them doing it but heard they spray inside the house along floor skirts. My wife usually hides all our sons toys and things he might take in his mouth and leaves the house for 3-4hours.

And btw... Merry Xmas :)

Once a month for our exterminator, has been doing this for nine years now. Leave the room closed to let things settle, then air it out several hours later. Yes, hide the kids and toys and same for dog, best that wife takes them out to do her shopping. Upon request and extra fee exterminator will do mosquito spray outside but it is futile in rainy season and of limited help other times. Keep some canned bug spray (Bayon blue can works well for me) for the very annoying gnats that will attach your ankles soon after bugmobile leaves.

Ours comes once a month. They use a wet chemical sprayed liberally. After the first couple times we really didn't need it inside the house anymore and stopped spraying inside. Only a couple of times in 3 years we have had the kitchen sprayed, after removing all counter tops items, where the ceiling meets the walls. We have ants above the kitchen ceiling. After the kitchen is sprayed and the chemical dries we wipe things down. Doing this last time has lasted a long time now. You need to use sensible precautions because anything that kills insects is not going to be good for children or pets. We keep our dog inside until the chemical has dried outside. If you do not have a problem inside then DO NOT spray inside, but if you do have a problem then target that problem only and not the whole house.

If you constantly do the outside then you, in effect, create a barrier around the house and so spraying inside becomes only rarely necessary. This is Thailand so they do not take the precautions they should, therefore you need to be the one taking the precautions in how these services are applied.

We will from time to time find a dead cockroach on the floor and of course we have a couple geckos running around, but none of that bothers us like ants do. We primarily spray to keep the ants away. If it were not for the ants I would probably not have the service. Our service costs 5000 baht a year.

• Like 1

I have had my house for about five years now in the Thai countryside. We have never ever had exterminators come around. There is a community of cockroaches living in the septic tanks I know but it does not bother me. Once in a while we get one cockroach coming into the house, easily taken care of. Small ants are also common in the house but do not bother us much, proper cleaning with ant repellent cleaning agent keeps them to a minimum.

Termites!

We live in Hua Hin and these are our major concern. Most of our neighbors have had them (and we caught a small invasion in our pump room last visit); some lost a more than a 100k THB of furniture and others had them in their bathroom.

Wife and others always check to make sure they are not diluting the spray and verifying that they actually go around the house.

We laid the pipes under our house and spray every six months.

.....neurotoxins are usually oil-based...so they are hard to wipe off....thus can be transferred by touch......

...they affect the central nervous system and the brain......

...they also accumulate in the body.......

...some people think that if they have no scent....or a floral scent....that makes them okay........

...welcome to Thailand.....

Small ants are also common in the house but do not bother us much, proper cleaning with ant repellent cleaning agent keeps them to a minimum.

I was in Mexico for a while earlier this year and the cleaning lady at my house swore by a special (blue) version of Ajax which had the Spanish words for "repels insects" on it. Is there a popular/common brand of such cleaner here in Thailand? Any chance of a picture of a bottle (can)?